[Q] Manually set B/W limitations?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Kane3162
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 11:47    Post subject: [Q] Manually set B/W limitations? Reply with quote
I have AT&T, and for the last 4 almost 5 years now we have had the 6Mb/768Kb package and had ZERO ISSUES, recently, something has happened in the area, and I dont know if its something like the ground has shifted, or water on the lines, or something like the connection cards in the hubs for me neighborhood have been replaced with newer but lower quality ones...

BUT the whole point is, that now I cannot sustain that speed, and AT&T has come out and the only thing they will do is reduce the line speed to 3Mb/512Kb... thats UNACCEPTABLE!!!

Now, I havent found a way to manually set the connection speed since thats negotiated by the DSLAM (on my DSL modem), but I wanted to make an attempt at least of putting a limitation on my B/W to maybe like 5Mb/680Kb or something because the instability and disconnects only happen when I saturate the line!

So my question as stated in the Subject, is if its possible to set in DD-WRT the limitations for B/W to something custom so something doesnt try to max the connection and cause it to DC? I did look around, and so some simple search's, but unless its wording is different, I havent found anything that allows me to do pretty much exactly what I am describing!

(BTW, if I had ANY other HSI provider in my area, I would ditch AT&T so fast my own head would spin)

Thanks!

DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
as an extra note, I am not looking for PER USER B/W limitations, I am literally looking for limitations on the WAN portion...

looking at my DSL modem, it connects at 6016/768, I would like to limit it to 5000/768 so that it wont push the last meg and cause it to DC/SNR bleed, but I cannot find any way of doing this...

I see the per user paid way (not possible, too many WiFi users and when I reformat/update my pc/phones/tablets/neighbors connect id have to go in and putz with them as well), and the script per user way, but these are not what I desire...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
You don't say what version you're using, so I'm going to assume you're using the recommended version v.14929.

Go to the NAT/QOS > QOS tab and set your uplink speed to 650 and your downlink to 5,000. That will restrict the speeds to what you want. The choices should really be about 85% of your max speeds, but you're downgrading that already so those numbers should work. If they don't then knock off another 10-15%

Navigation

Jump to: