Linksys WRT54GL vs E1000 vs E2000 vs E2500

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Linksys WRT54GL vs E1000 vs E2000
WRT54GL
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
E1000
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
E2000 (note that I found it for almost the same price as the others)
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
E2500
27%
 27%  [ 3 ]
other (but keep in mind that I am looking for one around $50)
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 11

Mikey2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:

I am nobody but polls of this nature piss me off.. just ask the question in the thread..

Cheers!

LOL there so much good information in this thread that I do not know where to begin to respond, so I figure I should start with the most inane of the topics. Smile

I apologize, most of the forums I frequent do not allow users to post polls and I just added it as a complete afterthought. Everyone's' responses has been much more useful than the poll itself. Thanks again for bearing with me. Smile

MikeY

PS - That said, I am now more undecided than ever! I have still put-off making this purchase because of the lack of consensus. I am still leaning toward the E2000 (NOT refurbished!) but if one thing this thread has proved that there is much to consider. (My network is not particularly large (5-8 computers and devices or so, with one gateway and two routers/repeaters not counting the Cable-modem...This is to replace my ancient BEFSR41 as the primary gateway.) but my traffic is very high and I am definitely a computer nerd that loves playing with these things. (That is why I am quite frustrated without having many of the features that DD-WRT provides.)
Sponsor
TreborG2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
First... I'm using a 2100L .... got it on sale at NewEgg more than a year ago at under 65 bucks.. its been pretty damned good. .. however ... its Atheros based.. and if I had to do again I wouldn't .. simply because I had no problems till of late when I ended up having several Iphones, Toshiba Laptops, & some HP's ... and suddenly I started loosing network connectivity.

That said.. I would say.. Go Remanufactured. Like with NewEgg right now, they have the e2000 for 35 bucks! At that price you can buy TWO of them, keeping one as backup...

It has decent specs, and regardless of you *now* wanting or needing N on your gateway.. later if you get an even *newer* router ... you could repupose this one ... and the N at that time might be beneficial ... Smile

I wouldn't do any router with less than 32 megs of ram ... and this is because I've seen routers choke with 8 megs, less so with 16 megs, and so 32 to 64 Megs becomes a decent but valuable luxury.
amrogers3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
What about the E3000http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&DEPA=0&Order=BESTMATCH&N=100010072&isNodeId=1&Description=e3000&x=0&y=0?

It's $65 on newegg. Anyone have any positive or negative reponses regarding the E3000?
mrg666
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
TreborG2 wrote:
That said.. I would say.. Go Remanufactured. Like with NewEgg right now, they have the e2000 for 35 bucks! At that price you can buy TWO of them, keeping one as backup...

Actually, I did that. Two E2000's running with external antennas, one at 2.4GHz, the other at 5GHz. Very Happy

2x E2000 Tomato-Toastman 0501.2 AP (external antennas)
TEW-652BRP Gargoyle 1.5.9 Client Bridge (antenna upgrade + heatsinks + ventilation)
Mikey2
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks again for all of the responses, it really did help and changed my final decision: I decided to go with the best deal I found and the middle-of-the-road solution, the E2000.

It just arrived today! (Fast for free shipping!) (I'm quite excited!)

Thanks again and wish me luck installing this! Smile (I'm quite excited to finally work with DD-WRT, I cannot tell you how frustrated I have been with standard firmware on virtually every brand of personal router and how often research on things I want to do has led me to DD-WRT...)
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: