new builds?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 15:44    Post subject: new builds? Reply with quote
I'm been searching around the forum and google in hope to find some more recent builds of dd-wrt for x86, without luck.

I'm currently on r17201, which is more or less stable on my alix board.

In late september there was a build available for a short time (r174XX or something), which had much better wifi performance on my N-card. Sadly something was messed up with the nvram and each time the router rebooted the nvram would be wiped/reset. So I had to go back to r17201 again.

As the build numbers are climbing up towards the 18000's I'm now wondering where I can find recent builds/nightlys to try out, even if it would be considered unstable/untested builds, I have no trouble to help/test them.

Thanks,
spock
Sponsor
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 18:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am currently on the same build 17201 on my PC-Engine Alix, and have been having problems getting my N WiFi card working also, do you still have a copy of the 174xx build I would like to try it even if its not stable to see if it works with my card.

I am beginning to get a little discourage, that I can't get this to work, I have alot of money invested in the PC-Engine Alix, the Ubiquiti SR71-12 Mini PCI Card, the Antenna's and the Correct Connecting Cables and the License for the DD-WRT Software.

What funny is they even sell the SR71-12 card in the store, but it does not work with the software? Explain that one.

Dont get me wrong, the DD-WRT software is amazing, I junked my Linksys E3000 for this PC-Engine system, but really would like to have the N Wireless working.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sadly I didn't keep any copy of it. Crying or Very sad

I'm hoping the devs will have a look at this thread and give us some more information.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
test these testbuilds:

http://wi-tech.de/ddwrt/dd-wrt-webupgrade_full_*_serial.zip
http://wi-tech.de/ddwrt/dd-wrt-webupgrade_full_*_vga.zip
http://wi-tech.de/ddwrt/dd-wrt-webupgrade_public_*.zip

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2011 21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
test these testbuilds:

Oh File not found! But if you paste the whole link it works

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 0:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
The BlackBird Flies Again!

The new drivers work:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
The output of the WiFi seems a little weak, not sure if this is related to the drivers.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 15:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
The web upgrade worked perfectly, I choose to reset it to defaults though. So I dont know if settings would have been retained and worked if I didn't. Anyway I always reset when upgrading firmwares, for some reason things always seem to work better then.

It's stable, good wifi-N signal, DDNS seems to be working, but gotta wait to see if automatic refresh will work (it did not in 17201).

Still have to set up VPN's and some custom routing things, but haven't got time tonight. I'll keep running this and report any problem I might find.

Thanks for sharing the build btw. Very Happy
spock521
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
PPTP VPN seems to be working fine so far.

The NAS is also working as it seems.

But this is a diskless system with usb ports, so I hooked up an USB pendrive to see if the USB storage and Automatic drive mount would work, it did not. Complaining about file system not recognized, or something like that..

I could log in to the shell and mount it fine though. I tried reformatting it from FAT32 to ext2/3/4 but it still wouldn't work through the gui.

I also noticed the /mnt is a symlink to /tmp/mnt, and sometimes the /tmp/mnt directory would just vanish. If I recreated it, I could mount manually through the shell though.. But it still would not be possible to share it with NAS/Samba.

Not that I use this feature, just thought I'd try it out, and this is what I found.

All in all though I want to thank the devs for the great piece of software that is dd-wrt. Cool

edit: Also the WiFi TX Power always shows 0dBm, even though everything is working.
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 14:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
spock521 wrote:
Also the WiFi TX Power always shows
0dBm, even though everything is working.

I noticed this one also, even though it is transmitting and working. What should i have the power level set to? I notice the output is lower then my old WiFi G Card.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 16:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zero Hunter wrote:
spock521 wrote:
Also the WiFi TX Power always shows
0dBm, even though everything is working.

I noticed this one also, even though it is transmitting and working. What should i have the power level set to? I notice the output is lower then my old WiFi G Card.

Usually it's 15dBm or 20dBm. Depends of what your regulatory domain permits. 20dBm is 100mW.

If you click advanced in WiFi setup you can change regulatory domain to your own country and also the amount of dBm you want to use. 20 is like the defacto standard on all home wifi routers though.

Antenna dBm setting is a bit irrelevant.. it's just so to help prevent that you would exceed transmit power of your regulatory domain. For example if have 20dBm output and a 5dBm antenna that's a total of 25dBm.. so you could put 5dBm in the antenna setting and all that dd-wrt would do is to lower transmit power dBm to 15, so that it ends up at 20.. or whatever your regulatory domain allows. I never bothered with it myself.
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
test these testbuilds:

Sash

Is there still development going on with this build as the control of the Ubiquiti cards does not seem to be 100% ?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can report that I'm having great success with these builds. Just the usb-stick that doesn't want to auto-mount.

About the WiFi-N card you have I'm not sure that it's so much in the hands of the dd-wrt devs, since it's drivers comes from the linux kernel sources (unless they modify them, but I think they don't). I noticed these builds are still 2.6.39, but on the svn I can see that they have atleast 3.0 in the repo for x86 (unless I got confused). Maybe newer builds will mean better driver support.

The devs here seem to be very shy of sharing information on the forums, even though I see a lot of stuff going on in the svn tracker. Maybe a new release is just around the corner.. Question
Zero Hunter
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zero Hunter wrote:

The new drivers work:

Well had to take the SR71-12 Card back out of the PC-Engine, as its output was total crap, I pretty much had to be in the same room as the unit, to get any signal strength worth talking about.

I just can not figure it out, the el' cheapo b/g card works great, anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 22:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Zero Hunter wrote:
Zero Hunter wrote:

The new drivers work:

Well had to take the SR71-12 Card back out of the PC-Engine, as its output was total crap, I pretty much had to be in the same room as the unit, to get any signal strength worth talking about.

I just can not figure it out, the el' cheapo b/g card works great, anyone have any ideas?

If it's not a driver problem (tx power?), did you try messing around with TX/RX antenna chains? My N-card works crap on anything except 1+2 on both TX and RX. But since all cards are different maybe yours needs another setting. Just guessing though..

I'm using this card: http://www.aerial.net/shop/product/28/1020/wistron-dnma92-wistron-neweb-atheros.html

ar9220 I think it is..

edit: Seeing that your card is a high power one, I remember reading (sorry cant find source) alix boards could have trouble delivering enough current for them.. they fixed it on some newer revision boards iirc. Maybe you even need a better power supply? Maybe something for you to google about..
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> X86 based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: