How can I check signal improvement? WRT54GL Xmit power level

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Johan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 21:56    Post subject: How can I check signal improvement? WRT54GL Xmit power level Reply with quote
It seems that my Linksys WRT54GL (S/N CL7B...) power level not can set higher than the default 28 mW Xmit power in Wireless, Advanced Shocked Does anyone recognize this problem? How can I check signal improvement?

Even when I change the default xMit power 28mW settings to 100mW or up to 150mW the signal strength in NetStumbler signal measurement stays exact at the same level Question Should the signal not become stronger? Is this device broken? Or did Linksys perhaps use other hardware in their newest series WRT54GL routers? Or last-but-not least what am I doing wrong?

How can I measure the signal strength the best way? The Xmit power settings in Firmware DD-WRT v23 SP2 (09/13/06) value 28 mW and above do not improve the signal at all. The hardware is a Linksys WRT54GL v1.1 S/N CL7B...

Best regards, Johan, the Netherlands
Sponsor
GunTolo
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 14:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
did you have do the hard reset for 30 sec after flashing that router?

try to do it also try clear your browser cache first and run setup again

good luck

28 GL+DD-WRT v23 SP3 Std
13 WRT300N v.1 v24 06-20-07
2 GL/SP1/200 mW+Hyperlink 24 db >> 16 km Point to Point
greatmen
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
GunTolo wrote:
did you have do the hard reset for 30 sec after flashing that router?

try to do it also try clear your browser cache first and run setup again

good luck

hard reset? what u mean?
chabm_more
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
hard reset means pressing and holding the reset button for 1 minute(linksys way). after it, wait for it to reboot properly, powerlight is solid. do a powercycle, meaning, unplug the router, wait 1 minute, plug it back in. wait for it to boot up properly.

reconfigure the device. set the transmit to 63mW(equivalent to original linksys fw xmit power which is 18dbm). or increase to a level you want. you could try change channel and ssid, save settings everytime you change something. then powercycle 1 minute.

monitor it if signal has strengthen or not... tell us..Smile

*former EarthLink LPV TRON(Level 3 Tech Support)
Technical Support Representative(US CableISP)
Convergys Philippines
Cebu Site
NWTSCL
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 3:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't mean to hijack this thread. But I'd like to jump in with one quick question, if I may.

chabm_more,

You mention power cycling for 1 minute after saving the settings. It necessary to do this every time you save the settings?
chabm_more
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
not necessarily,but some if not most settings need to be rebooted to take effect.
to be safe, just powercycle.. but you can also try not to if you want.

i got edimax br6524k, wrt54gl and wrt54g v5 running ddwrt--all ran linux based, and noticed that br6524k needs to be rebooted when you change something, reboot and powercycle is the same thing. my gl, i just felt that if i change setting, it would work properly when i do a powercycle, its just 1 minute after saving it. like when i changed ch6 to ch1. coz my neighbor connected to me, for a fee, having intermittent problem. it worked after changing channel with powercycle.

hehehe, it worked for me:)

back when i was a linksys tech support, we do lots of powercycle, powercycle really saves the day:) that's just how we do it back at linksys:) requires lots of patience where it pays off at the end:D just save settings everything you wanna change and do a one 1-minute powercycle for the whole saved settings...that will do:)

*former EarthLink LPV TRON(Level 3 Tech Support)
Technical Support Representative(US CableISP)
Convergys Philippines
Cebu Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: