e2k -e3k vs n60 builds; Which to use???

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
wnpaul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:37    Post subject: WIKI Discrepancy with this thread Reply with quote
It appears there is a discrepancy between the WIKI Install Guides for the E2000/E3000/E4200 and this thread, even though the Wiki Install Guides link to this thread.

The Wiki Install guides for these routers say very clearly:

After the initial trailed build, if you flash with anything other than builds with e2k-e3k (or e4200 for that router) in the name, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR ROUTER.

This thread, on the other hand, seems to suggest that it is o.k. (i.e. will not brick your router but work just fine) to flash these routers with any nv60 builds, after the initial flash with the trailed build.

Can someone clear up this discrepancy?

Thanks,

Wolf

Babble.net/Fairytel.at/Broadvoice.com
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 23:57    Post subject: Re: WIKI Discrepancy with this thread Reply with quote
wnpaul wrote:
This thread, on the other hand, seems to suggest that it is o.k. (i.e. will not brick your router but work just fine) to flash these routers with any nv60 builds, after the initial flash with the trailed build.

Thanks,

Wolf

The n60k builds were post the recommended build and often the builds in the wiki. There is a failsafe in those builds that prevents flashing an improper build, but it started in the 16785 builds. (Not sure of the exact 167xx build number that it was introduced in but I believe it was changeset 16783 or 16753). You can't flash a nv60k build when you have a 14929 build on the router, for example. However, if you install a 16xxx build on the router you HAVE to use a nv60 build to upgrade, but you have to have flashed a 16785 trailed build first. Once you have flashed a nv60k build, you can then continue to change your build by flashing any other nv60k build. You will no longer need to flash the initial trailed build.

So, 60k are the same as e2k-e3k builds, but for builds that are subsequent to their introduction in 16xxx. You are safe to use them on your router, if you can flash them from the build that is on the router. (It must be 16xxx or higher).

So, if you initially flashed a 14929 build for an E3000 for example, (whether trailed with e3000 in the name of the build, or an e2k-e3k build) you have to first flash a post 16xxx newer build (with e3000 in the name for an e3000 router OR with e2000 in the name for an e2000 to get a proper build installed that has the failsafe built in. After flashing the router named build post 16xxx (trailed build) you will have to flash nv60k builds to upgrade from then on.

I suggest starting with the 18000 e3000 or e2000 or e4200 trailed build for initial flashing from a pre 16785 build.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
osunax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 17:52    Post subject: Re: WIKI Discrepancy with this thread Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
wnpaul wrote:

Thanks,

Wolf

The n60k builds were post the recommended build and often the builds in the wiki. There is a failsafe in those builds that prevents flashing an improper build, but it started in the 16785 builds. (Not sure of the exact 167xx build number that it was introduced in but I believe it was changeset 16783 or 16753). You can't flash a nv60k build when you have a 14929 build on the router, for example. However, if you install a 16xxx build on the router you HAVE to use a nv60 build to upgrade, but you have to have flashed a 16785 trailed build first. Once you have flashed a nv60k build, you can then continue to change your build by flashing any other nv60k build. You will no longer need to flash the initial trailed build.

So, 60k are the same as e2k-e3k builds, but for builds that are subsequent to their introduction in 16xxx. You are safe to use them on your router, if you can flash them from the build that is on the router. (It must be 16xxx or higher).

So, if you initially flashed a 14929 build for an E3000 for example, (whether trailed with e3000 in the name of the build, or an e2k-e3k build) you have to first flash a post 16xxx newer build (with e3000 in the name for an e3000 router OR with e2000 in the name for an e2000 to get a proper build installed that has the failsafe built in. After flashing the router named build post 16xxx (trailed build) you will have to flash nv60k builds to upgrade from then on.

I suggest starting with the 18000 e3000 or e2000 or e4200 trailed build for initial flashing from a pre 16785 build.

I currently have my Linksys E3200 running with dd-wrt.v24-17201_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin. So if I am interpreting this correctly, I can now flash dd-wrt.v24-19342_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv60k.bin directly WITHOUT having to first flash the trailed build (dd-wrt.v24-17201_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e3200.bin) again.

Is this correct?

I have found no single clear source of info / link on this forum which answers this question.

Happy modding and thanks in advance for your help!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Re: WIKI Discrepancy with this thread Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
osunax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Re: WIKI Discrepancy with this thread Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Murrkf wrote:

Thanks for the prompt reply!

I did read that, but somehow I was still confused (I've been reading all these long threads since yesterday...) I think the following paragraph from "the peacock announcement" is partly the reason; I wasn't sure if this would also apply to the E3200 and preferred to ask rather than taking the risk:

"Once dd-wrt is installed, you should not use a trailed build, and should use a generic build instead UNLESS you have one of the new Linksys Routers (E2000, E3000 E4200) that allocate nvram differently. Those routers (eg. E2000 and E3000, E4200) must ALWAY USE A TRAILED BUILD."

In any case, thanks a lot for the clarification! Smile
gillyspy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 0:02    Post subject: trying to backrev to a build that has a working pptp client Reply with quote
I have flashed some of the n60k builds in an effort to get PPTP client working.

I have found out that PPTP client does not work since around 14896 (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=713155)

However, the are no n60k builds from that generation. They start at 16785.

Is there any way for me to install a 14896 build? Can i start over with a trailed bin and then go to 14896?

TIA
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 0:56    Post subject: Re: trying to backrev to a build that has a working pptp cli Reply with quote
gillyspy wrote:
I have flashed some of the n60k builds in an effort to get PPTP client working.

I have found out that PPTP client does not work since around 14896 (http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=713155)

However, the are no n60k builds from that generation. They start at 16785.

Is there any way for me to install a 14896 build? Can i start over with a trailed bin and then go to 14896?

TIA

A trailed build can always be flashed. Use forum recommended builds.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: