No Client Bridged mode option in RT-N13U B1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
jongasse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:48    Post subject: No Client Bridged mode option in RT-N13U B1 Reply with quote
I need this router to behave as a wireless NIC (bridge) so that I can connect my desktop to wifi. I don't want it to repeat over wifi (or if it does, it should have a different SSID from the main router)

Resaon I don't want it to repeat over wifi with same SSID as main router: the speed over wireless when this router is in the repeater mode is dismal: not hitting above 0.5MBps whereas the original wifi (downstairs, 12 meter away) gives 3MBps downlink!

This was with the stock firmware.

My roommates were on the verge of stifling me when I was testing this out.

1. I guess I need to use the 'Client Bridged mode' to connect my desktop to the wireless router downstairs (without risk getting physically hurt)?

2. How do I test if this router craps out after an hour of heavy downloading? Are there some tools or website to simulate heavy traffic through the router (besides downloading multiple torrents from TBP?)

From all the dropdown box options, I do not see 'Client Bridged mode', and that is the option I really need!

I first tried using version r16994 from ftp://www.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2011/05-08-11-r16994/Asus-RTN13UB1/

Followed the guide at http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Client_Bridged, except chose 'Client' instead of 'Client Bridged mode'

This allowed me to have an internet-less setup but I was unable to ping the main router (an IP was assigned by the main router to this one though - top right side, 'WAN IP').

Thinking this might be an issue with the older version I got the latest version .bin:

DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/20/11) std
(SVN revision 18024)

This too, does not show me 'Client Bridged', but only 'Client' (and the rest)

I am a loss now what to do: have spent 5 hours of my time since evening and I am extremely tired.

I also wanted to know if 'Factory Reset' option in the DD-WRT GUI does the same thing as the hard reset as far as these guides are concerned?
Sponsor
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 13:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
From what I have read Ralink based devices (like the RT-N13U B1) do not support client bridge mode. Your only options are Repeater Bridge or Client Mode.
jongasse
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I followed CTXSi's post at http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=147749.

This now has the router repeating the main signal over a different SSID as well as over ethernet, and I thought I was done.

However, although I am getting almost full speed internet over the repeated SSID over wifi (through my andriod phone) I am rarely able to connect to the internet through the ethernet ports!

The only way I can confirm the router is repeating is checking my phone!

Sometimes, when connected to this router, I am often unable to ping the main router (but it's really up and running).

Is there a way by which:

1. I can check if the router is repeating or, if the main router is really down, through this router?

2. Find out why the ethernet port has so poor internet connectivity, with very frequent dropped connections?

3. Attach names to the MAC addresses this router shows for devices connected to it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: