DD-WRT Bandwidth Limiting?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
codydperry18
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 5:42    Post subject: DD-WRT Bandwidth Limiting? Reply with quote
Hi all. I have a Netgear WNR2000v2 with the DD-WRT firmware running very well. I like it a lot with how much I can control. The only thing I can't find (other then a sandwich maker) is bandwidth limiting.

I live in a house with a total of 5 PC's, 3 smartphones and an Android Tablet. One PC and the Tablet are bandwidth hogs. The pc is ALWAYS using uTorrent all day long and the tablet, I'm not sure, but it's always active.

Can I limit how much speed these devices get? I pay for the internet myself and want to be able to use it too. I pay for 1.5 megabyte per second internet (not megabit). I get about 30 kilobytes per second, on a GOOD day. I want to give these two devices 300 KB/s and leave the rest open. How can I do that? I am getting very tired of this crap and want to be able to use what I pay for
Sponsor
codydperry18
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone?
James2k
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Quality_of_Service

Sounds like you want QoS. (Quality of Service)

QoS via Mac Address sounds like the best option.

Head over to NAT/QoS > QoS on your the router interface. You can either assign QoS rules via Protocol type e.g. torrent, Netmask (Probably not useful to you here) or Mac address (Probably the best option for your needs).

Assign each mac address and their priority type. Premium is the best, bulk is the lowest. The values inbetween can be used as required.

The QoS settings at the top are very important to get right. You need to run on a speed test on your network (With no running downloads) to get an accurate portrayal of your down and up link speeds. Once thats done you should be enjoying nicely balanced network speeds, based on your QoS rules.
codydperry18
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 23:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
is there a way to put a specific limit on the speed going to each mac address? I tried the QoS and the pc and tablet still kill the internet
lilpunk1302
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 0:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've also wanted to set up QOS for a while,

But I'm on a University network and the speed strongly varies, I get upto 10MB/s at 4am, but sometime can hardly load Google during the day.

If I set up QoS based on Ports without specifying a max speed (or specifying one that's higher than the current network limit), would the router still manage to do anything to manage the traffic? Or do you really need an accurate max speed for QoS to work?
helice
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 2:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
There are two different ways that I've come across. I haven't tried them yet. Please let me know how they work.

1. http://markmaunder.com/2011/01/26/how-to-reliably-limit-the-amount-of-bandwidth-your-room-mate-or-bad-office-colleague-uses/

2. http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/using-qos-tutorial-and-discussion.28349/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: