Linksys WRT54G - major problems, no wired connection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tjdracz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 14:38    Post subject: Linksys WRT54G - major problems, no wired connection Reply with quote
Hello. I've been trying to configure my Linksys WRT54G router (v. 2.0, flashed using dd-wrt.v24-15943_VINT_mini.bin) to work as a repeater bridge with my Pentagram Cerberus ASDL Wifi lite modem/router. When using other version of dd-wrt (dd-wrt.v24-13491_VINT_mini.bin and dd-wrt.v24-15200_VINT_mini.bin) I could not get repeater bridge to work at all. With the current firmware, routers estabilish connection and repeater bridge works (kind of). There are however several problems with this setup now:
1) DHCP not working on the repeater bridge side
2) WPA2-AES encryption not working. WPA-TKIP, WEP and no encryption work fine. With WPA2-AES it seems that routers connect to each other (I can see Pentagram router on dd-wrt status->wireless page).
I worked around those issues by having a static IP's set up and using WPA-TKIP encryption. Then, wireless connection worked like a charm, even if both physical interface and virtual interface used the same SSID).
Yet, probably the major issue I have just discovered is that wired connection to the Linksys does not work. Tried with several computers (Windows XP, Vista, 7) but nothing is working and the computers do not even estabilish connection with the Linksys router. On the same computers, wireless connection is working without any problems (apart from DHCP and WPA2 issues). The only computer that seems to be working with wired connection is Toshiba laptop that I've used for dd-wrt configuration.
Can anyone help with any of the issues above? WPA2 and non-working DHCP are not much of a problem for me, they are easy to work around but I really need to estabilish this wired connection from the computer to Linksys router so this issue is crucial.
Here is the link to imageshack albums with some screens of the configurations of both my Pentagram and Linksys routers:
http://imageshack.us/g/341/ddwrt5.jpg/

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Cheers, Tom

Last edited by tjdracz on Sat Dec 24, 2011 15:19; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Ernest
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Tom:

I suspect it is your manual vlans that is causing problems. Disable encryption on your modem, and make sure encrytion is disabled for now. Do a 30-30-30 hard reset on the second router. Go to 192.168.1.1 with a wired connection to the second router. Go to the basic wireless page set the mode to repeater bridge and put in the ssid of your primary router. and add a virtual ssid in the box below where you enter your primary router information. SAVE that information. Go to the basic settings page and change the LAN IP of the router to 10.0.0.3 and put the gateway and local dns to 10.0.0.2. There should no longer be a setting for DHCP and the rest (time etc.) doesn't matter for purposes of testing. SAVE and then APPLY that information.

You have security sensitive information in your pictures. Delete the pictures of your primary router at your link. It is mostly irrelevant. The lan IP of the modem being 10.0.0.2 is all anyone needs to know. Encryption should be added after you get the routers working. I have never manually created vlans or static routes with a repeater bridge so if you need them, these can be added later as well.

I am not sure you need to use a vint build on that router but IIRC there is a test in the announcements that you can use to tell.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah...you don't need VINT on a V2 unit....you can use the regular V24 NEWD builds. (NOT NEWD-2)

Run the recommended 14929 std, nokaid, or mini on that unit and it will work just fine. I tested 14929 on a V2 RB setup for quite sometime...without issues.

Follow the wiki instructions for configuring the Repeater Bridge.

redhawk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 15:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks, will flash the router with 14929, estabilish repeater bridge again and see whether it will work now
tjdracz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 19:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, then. I've flashed linksys with 14929 firmware (standard) and attempted to estabilish repeater bridge once again. Followed all of the instructions in wiki but still nothing. Only difference is that now I seem to be able to ping to 10.0.0.3 and 10.0.0.2 and any other computer on the same subnet, but still no internet (only Toshiba laptop that worked before works also now and wireless connection are also without any problems)
Wired connection suddenly started working after putting some numbers in the advanced routing->stating routing and then replacing them all back to default 0.0.0.0's. Strange... Tried this with two computers, will also try with the third one and see what happens, although I don't really know what exactly helped this wired connection to work.
DHCP and WPA2 still not working.
tjdracz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
bump, bump, bump. Any ideas about making DHCP and WPA2 work? Or why wired connection suddenly started working after putting seemingly random static routing and replacing it back to default?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: