Asus RT-N12 now supported

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38, 39, 40  Next
Azn247
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 0:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,

This is my first time posting in these forums and I was wondering if I could get some assistance. I had purchased my Asus RT-N12 at the beginning of summer and I am using DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini - build 14929 on it.

I was wondering if there is an optimal router setting in order to maximize my wireless speed. Currently, I am only get about 6 - 8 Mbps download speed via wireless however if I connect direction to the modem I get around 30 - 35 Mbps. Is there any recommended tricks or troubleshooting I can do in order to boost my speeds?

Thanks
Sponsor
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Others may know better than me, but it seems that you are getting the speed appropriate for the wireless G protocol. If you have any wireless G devices on your network, the router will communicate to all of them using the wireless G protocol. (You did set it to use wireless N, right?)Perhaps you should make certain that no other devices are connected.

If that is not the explanation, determine the quality of your signal. You might also compare your download speed with the same router using the original firmware.
nivlheim
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 26, 2011 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Quick question: how to get back to official firmware from DD-WRT? Webflash will do? I had D-Link device before and there was no problem becouse of emergency room - now with my Asus I'm not sure how to get Asus FW back.
EarlZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just got the N12 and Im facing issues in wireless repeater mode. Connecting a PC/Laptop via its LAN port works well and its getting internet wirelessly from the main Linksys (WRT54G2 V1) My issue is with the wireless connection I cant seem to get an IP address as my devices are stuck with obtaining IP address during the connecting part, If I go with in range from the linksys I get a trouble free connection.. going out of range from the linksys but still in range from the N12 gives me nothing.. connecting a laptop/pc on the N12's LAN ports gives me internet connection..

I have DHCP enabled on my linksys, am I missing something or is this something that a the dd-wrt firmware can resolve?

EDIT:

If I assign a manual IP on my phone other devices they can start using the repeater's signal but I want everything to be in DHCP for the repeater is this possible to setup ?
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 17:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
My understanding is that the wireless repeat mode is not working for these routers (any k26) in the current builds. I have two rt-n12s, and I use the Asus firmware for the one set as repeater. It works well. You might be happier with that.
EarlZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
My only issue with the N12 that it does not provide an IP to the devices connecting to it via repeater mode I have to specifically set an IP+DNS for them.. or maybe im missing something ?
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2011 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
EarlZ wrote:
My only issue with the N12 that it does not provide an IP to the devices connecting to it via repeater mode I have to specifically set an IP+DNS for them.. or maybe im missing something ?

I am not sure what the problem is either. But, perhaps you can reverse your set up. Use the N12 as the primary router. Mine is working well using this version:
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (09/09/11) mini
(SVN revision 17598M NEWD-2 K2.6 Eko)

(Note the latest build did NOT work as well for me).

Then use the WRT54G as the repeater.
You are correct, it should provide full DHCP support.
Of course, you realize you are limited to Wireless G?
And I have had some trouble setting wireless security initially. Try without first.
EarlZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Im open to reversing the setup but how do I make the WRT54G2 V1 as a repeater? Im not really familiar with the dd-wrt flashing yet.

EDIT:

Another question I have the Asus N12 at the ground floor while my main router is up stairs, when I go down my device still stays specifically connected to the main router giving me a very low signal till I reconnect, same thing when I go up stairs is this how a repeater works? I always thought it will just spread the signal around giving me seamless access where ever I go or am I misunderstanding the repeater concept?
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 14:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
EarlZ wrote:
Im open to reversing the setup but how do I make the WRT54G2 V1 as a repeater? Im not really familiar with the dd-wrt flashing yet.

EDIT:

Another question I have the Asus N12 at the ground floor while my main router is up stairs, when I go down my device still stays specifically connected to the main router giving me a very low signal till I reconnect, same thing when I go up stairs is this how a repeater works? I always thought it will just spread the signal around giving me seamless access where ever I go or am I misunderstanding the repeater concept?

Hmm. You should read the wiki and Peacock thread. Repeater mode creates a separate subnet and behaves as you describe. Repeater bridge and WDS are two implementations that allow roaming on a single subnet. Then there are questions about whether the units should share the same SSID or not. But, you know, you might be happier using the very simple Asus firmware set to repeater. No fuss. Unless you are keen on special features of DD-WRT. But you sacrifice most of those by going through the now very old WRT54G2 in the first place.
EarlZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I read about WDS and thats probably the thing I need instead of a repeater bridge, I was expecting a repeater to do just that. Lack of research/understanding on my part.

Is it still possible to set it up like that with my Asus + link sys ? I dont really mind the fuss as long as there are guides for it.

EDIT:

I found this for my router.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_WRT54G2_v1.0

I just need a few more guides on what else to do for the WDS.
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 15:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Keep reading. This is beyond my experience. But I would try setting up the Asus as your primary router, and see if that alone gives you better coverage in the house. The dual external antennae may work well enough that you don't need to repeat the signal at all. And you might get wireless N speeds. Good luck.
EarlZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yeah the Asus can give a better over all signal compared to the linksys but it still drops it form time to time BUT not always.. maybe I just need to reposition my Asus better or drop it off the ledge from the 2nd floor.

Since my main router is set to DHCP, shouldnt connecting to the Asus also provide it with DHCP.. this is whats annoying for me.. a friend of mine has a dlink w/o WDS and he gets DHCP from his Asus N10 router in repeater mode.
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
EarlZ wrote:
Yeah the Asus can give a better over all signal compared to the linksys but it still drops it form time to time BUT not always.. maybe I just need to reposition my Asus better or drop it off the ledge from the 2nd floor.

Since my main router is set to DHCP, shouldnt connecting to the Asus also provide it with DHCP.. this is whats annoying for me.. a friend of mine has a dlink w/o WDS and he gets DHCP from his Asus N10 router in repeater mode.

Yeah, it is confusing terminology. The built-in "repeater" mode on the box doesn't give you many options for configuration and may act like the "repeater bridge" mode in DD-WRT. That is, linking to the DHCP server in the primary router, all on one subnet. I haven't played with it too much. Using the Asus firmware, set as a repeater, I have assigned a different subnet for the Asus router but DHCP clients connecting through the Asus router still get addresses in the subnet of the primary router. But I don't know whether walking into the range of the primary router will transfer host seamlessly.
EarlZ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can live with the manual transfer but how do I let the Asus use the DHCP on my main router? Is there something that needs to be set on the N12's side?
Moshe
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
No. Just try the original firmware, and set the little slide switch to repeater. I think it defaults to 192.168.1.1

Then log into the router using the web interface to that address, and connect to your primary router (with any security). I think DHCP is automatic.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 38, 39, 40  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 32 of 40
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: