Bricked my ASUS RT-N16

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
This seems like a Tomatoe problem and should be posted to their forum for that community to assist. BTW, if you want assistance, it is customary to publish your firmware version number, otherwise, it is virtually impossible for anyone to help you. Google your friendly neighborhood Tomatoe forum and good luck. In the future, I would not use anything other than a known good browser. Using the wrong web browser can cause serious problems.

Update: Maybe (or not) your device is a candidate for http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_TFTP_Flash. Should your recovery be successful and you decide that you want to stick with DD-WRT \ OTRW. You might want to use the firmware version that are known to be good. See my signature for what I am using. I am successfully runnng two units both with OTRW, Asterisk and Gtalk.

Buena Suerte y Feliz anos nuevos.

Sponsor
yourbuddypal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
gatorback wrote:
This seems like a Tomatoe problem and should be posted to their forum for that community to assist. BTW, if you want assistance, it is customary to publish your firmware version number, otherwise, it is virtually impossible for anyone to help you. Google your friendly neighborhood Tomatoe forum and good luck. In the future, I would not use anything other than a known good browser. Using the wrong web browser can cause serious problems.

Update: Maybe (or not) your device is a candidate for http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_TFTP_Flash. Should your recovery be successful and you decide that you want to stick with DD-WRT \ OTRW. You might want to use the firmware version that are known to be good. See my signature for what I am using. I am successfully runnng two units both with OTRW, Asterisk and Gtalk.

Buena Suerte y Feliz anos nuevos.

Well, I mean I started from DD-WRT and prefer DD-WRT, I was just switching because I was having some issues. Nothing yet is really specific to tomato as so far I think it is more of a flashing problem. I might have messed something up in that process, which is what was generally being discussed in this thread.

TO use that TFTP process, you need to be able to ping / have access to the router, right?

Edit: I'll look into that and try to do the static IP. Thanks for postin
gatorback
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
As I understand it, an attempt to flash Tomatoe was performed. If this is true, then this is a Tomatoe problem. There is a much better chance that your issue has been seen in the Tomatoe community and therefore that is the best place to ask for support.

BTW, flaming (namecalling) is generally not tolerated in the community (I personally don't care). This is especially true with newbies. You will find this community is often terse to the point of approaching rude, but I have not seen any other members engage in this conduct. I don't allow stupid comments irritate me and I certainly would not allow them the satisfaction of knowing that I have been irritated.

Good luck with your RT-N16. I was so pleased with mine that I bought a second one as a spare. If you would like to contribute to the (Tomatoe) community by posting a detailed procedure on how you solved this problem, you will gain the respect of the community and receive better support in the future.

Once your problem is solved and you decide to return to DD-WRT, I suggest fanatical reading for you. Especially the peacock thread and the RT-N16 Wiki, which may be conveniently invoked from my signature.

yourbuddypal
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I successfully flashed a mini DD-WRT back to the router using TFTP. Thanks for the help.

Sorry for "name calling" - I don't generally lose my cool either as I've seen plenty of bad behavior on forums. I just felt that it was really out of line for a mod, who is supposed to promote the community and display it in a good way, to act in (what i thought) was a childish manner. I was definitely in the wrong for responding rude as well. Two wrongs and all that.

Anyways, looks like I've successfully recovered my router. Long live dd-wrt!
radioraiders
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
After loading a wrong version of firmware accidentally yesterday, I was getting no ping reply from my RT-N16, even after 30/30/30 resets, and holding red WPS button while powering up also did nothing, which is supposed to restore it according to the wiki:
Quote:

This router does have a recovery mode if ever needed for flashing, and to access it, press the WPA button (not the reset button like other ASUS), then plug in power, and tftp the firmware you want to flash.

To get the IP address back I unplugged the power, pressed and held the black reset button while reconnecting the power cord. Then I got the IP address back (192.168.1.1) and downloaded the ASUS recovery utility from their website and was able to load the correct firmware and get it working again.

Does the restore procedure vary on the RT-N16 depending on where it was bought or what year it was made?
raftguide3r
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 18:21    Post subject: Re: Also bricked my rt-n16 Reply with quote
raftguide3r wrote:
Go a new router last week and loaded with dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_big.bin (flashed the trx version first in Asus web ui)

After configuring everything worked fine for a few days. On Sunday my wifes laptop dropped wireless while she was surfing the web. I attempted to log into the router from a hard wired computer to reboot but couldn't connect to the dd-wrt web interface.

Unplugged and plugged back in. No wireless, no Web GUI, couldn't ping 192.168.1.1, power led not on, wireless led not on.

I can't seem to get the router into recovery. ping -t 192.168.1.1 returns request timeout or Destination host unreachable when plugging in. I've tried holding the WPS button while plugging in, the restore button while plugging in, and both while plugging in. I've tried letting it sit unplugged for 24 hours and repeating.

I've tried tftp and the Asus firmware restoration tool.

Not sure what else to try. I don't think I can return it to Amazon since I already cut the UPC off the box for the mail in rebate. Sad

Most of what I've found about bricked routers it happens when flashing, my router flashed fine and was up and running for days without any problems... now I have an $80 week old brick.

I assume dd-wrt voids the warranty. What should I try next.

Sent back to ASUS, finally heard back today. They can't fix it and don't have an N16 they can send me. My options are an RT-N56U or my broken one back. The N56U doesn't support dd-wrt (according to the router database), not sure if it will in the future. It is a more expensive router and should work better than a broken one. If ASUS couldn't fix it there must be something seriously wrong with it.
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 18:29    Post subject: Re: Also bricked my rt-n16 Reply with quote
raftguide3r wrote:

Sent back to ASUS, finally heard back today. They can't fix it and don't have an N16 they can send me. My options are an RT-N56U or my broken one back. The N56U doesn't support dd-wrt (according to the router database), not sure if it will in the future. It is a more expensive router and should work better than a broken one. If ASUS couldn't fix it there must be something seriously wrong with it.

See if you can talk'em out of an RT-66. It is not released yet. Maybe they will send you one when they are released.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:42    Post subject: I still can't use Firefox or Chromium? Reply with quote
Hi, I just got a new RT-N16 and am after reading the warning everywhere not to use Ff or Chromium for flashing ddwrt on it.

I am a ubuntu user and don't have windows installed, so do I _have_ to borrow a friend's windows computer or install windows just to flash it? Or is the problem old and no longer relevant? Thanks
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 15:51    Post subject: Re: I still can't use Firefox or Chromium? Reply with quote
shaan7 wrote:
Hi, I just got a new RT-N16 and am after reading the warning everywhere not to use Ff or Chromium for flashing ddwrt on it.

I am a ubuntu user and don't have windows installed, so do I _have_ to borrow a friend's windows computer or install windows just to flash it? Or is the problem old and no longer relevant? Thanks

I only use firefox. Just do it.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
shaan7
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 18:52    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote
ah it works, cool Very Happy So shouldn't we remove that warning from the wiki when it no longer hold good?
scobar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I got a bricked router, does someone here do a de-bricking service?
scobar
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 19:07    Post subject: Re: ping and tftp OK, no http or telnet Reply with quote
xzb667 wrote:
I had a problem/error upgrading to a newer firmware build in the ddwrt gui on my second Asus N16. Afterwards I was able to ping at 192.168.1.1 after pressing wps button while plugging in power. I was then able to tftp sucessfully a dd-wrt.v24-14896_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_RT-N16 trx file.

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 PUT ddwrt.trx

However now I am stomped how to proceed. There is still no http or telnet, the connection times out.

UPDATE : Solved reboot took in excess of 5 minutes but it did return the default login http page

xzb667

This fixed my bad flash for me, thanks!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 Display posts from previous:    Page 6 of 6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: