Client bridge mode finally works on my dir-615 e3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
ah yes, i keep forgetting 615 E3 so the edit is required. slap me, Yes the loopback code needs to be put in the webgui under Admin/Commands/Save firewall

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
Swashy wrote:
buddee wrote:
Adding this into your commands...

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Save Firewall, then reboot, i ask because it seems that since the loopback function was removed from the firewall, these client bridge problems began, which is why it was removed in the first place, because WDS became non-working, once they removed the loopback, WDS supposedly worked, but other modes seemed to suffer.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what any of this means. I'm assuming I would insert this code to somewhere within the firewall tab of dd-wrt..

buddee wrote:

As far as downgrading goes, i have no idea, i would ask, have you tried to flash the build without hex editing it first?

Wouldn't this risk me bricking my router?

edit:

went ahead and did it and it worked, for some reason. Thanks!
Now only to figure out how the fuck to wirelessly repeat.....

Which part worked, the code or the flash? Also, Setup a repeater?

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok thanks to the endlessly vague language and confusing terms that is ubiquitious throughout these forums and the wiki I've finally found out that the DIR-615 is NOT capable of wireless repeating and clint bridge and client mode (whatever the bloody fuck these mean) do not accomplish anything like it.

For future forum searchers trying to figure out how to use your DIR-615, weep deeply for you have bought a useless piece of fucking shit. Try to get your money back and hopelessly attempt to figure out what the best wireless repeater router would be because I can guarantee you, you will not find such a salient answer in these useless fucking bilingual forums.
Swashy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
buddee wrote:
Swashy wrote:
buddee wrote:
Adding this into your commands...

insmod ipt_mark
insmod xt_mark
iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -i ! `get_wanface` -d `nvram get wan_ipaddr` -j MARK --set-mark 0xd001
iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -m mark --mark 0xd001 -j MASQUERADE

Save Firewall, then reboot, i ask because it seems that since the loopback function was removed from the firewall, these client bridge problems began, which is why it was removed in the first place, because WDS became non-working, once they removed the loopback, WDS supposedly worked, but other modes seemed to suffer.

I'm sorry, I have no idea what any of this means. I'm assuming I would insert this code to somewhere within the firewall tab of dd-wrt..

buddee wrote:

As far as downgrading goes, i have no idea, i would ask, have you tried to flash the build without hex editing it first?

Wouldn't this risk me bricking my router?

edit:

went ahead and did it and it worked, for some reason. Thanks!
Now only to figure out how the fuck to wirelessly repeat.....

Which part worked, the code or the flash? Also, Setup a repeater?

I flashed the unaltered firmware to it. And yes, a wireless repeater, of which this router is apparently incapable of.

Thanks for your help.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Swashy wrote:

I flashed the unaltered firmware to it. And yes, a wireless repeater, of which this router is apparently incapable of.

Thanks for your help.

In Atheros its different, you can set it up as a repeater, but going about it is different than broadcom, with Atheros you have to link to the main AP using client mode, then create virtual access points for the repeater's wireless clients to connect to. The sticky is at the top of the forum. To me its basically using the repeater guide in the wiki, just using client mode instead of broadcom repeater.

EDIT: you may should create a thread away from this one, as this breaks away from the main topic.

TripleQ
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Nov 03, 2011 0:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
After fiddling around with my DIR-615 trying to set it up as a wireless bridge, I thought I'd summarize my findings in hope of helping people in the future:

DIR-615 E3

To begin, I followed all the instructions in the wiki.

Build 15788 - nothing worked, tried all the settings for hours

Build 14896 - connected wirelessly to my main router, but no DHCP passthrough, so had to use static IPs for all devices behind the DIR-655 router

Build 14265 - works perfectly, DHCP gets passed through from my main router
imy3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
TripleQ wrote:
After fiddling around with my DIR-615 trying to set it up as a wireless bridge, I thought I'd summarize my findings in hope of helping people in the future:

DIR-615 E3

Build 14896 - connected wirelessly to my main router, but no DHCP pass through, so had to use static IPs for all devices behind the DIR-655 router

So does the build 14265 works well as bridge? Need to connect PS3 on N rather than G.
I tried Build 15788 and was able to connect the 615 to my primary router.
Only thing is it does not allow me access to the internet.

Anyone knows why the newer builds are there if they do not do bridge, are there any other key features new builds have?
ab0ddwrt
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
TripleQ wrote:

DIR-615 E3

Build 14896 - connected wirelessly to my main router, but no DHCP passthrough, so had to use static IPs for all devices behind the DIR-655 router

Thanks for your post. I had the same experience with client bridge mode using build 15788 with a DIR-615 E3. Per your advice, I tried build 14896 and am using static IPs for devices connected to the client router. This is fine for me, so I didn't try build 14265. Thanks again!
kalda01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:50    Post subject: WR941ND having issues in Client Bridge mode Reply with quote
I had DHCP issues with latest build, which were somehow resolved by setting the "Default GW mode" to manual.
This way most of the time the connection is stable.
every now and then there are sporadic time outs but no need to reset the bridge router.
stevew73
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I am having this issue with the latest build trying to get the dir-615 working as a bridge.

I am unable to rollback to the recommended build. It fails after 5 seconds. I have altered it using a hex editor etc.

How do you perform a roll back?
myserver57
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:08    Post subject: try WDS.. it works! Reply with quote
Hi, for what it's worth.. using the latest build (18024) I wasn't able to get it working as a client bridge either, the radio kept dropping to 1mbs (although i never tried to "join" the client AP).

Anyway, for those of you who are still trying to use the DIR-615 as a repeater bridge, try WDS mode, it works like a charm - DHCP is passed through on both wireless and lan connections.
stevew73
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 19:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
I was able to rollback. I had to reflash the latest build, then I was able to flash to the 14256 build.

And now bridging is working.
mnemonicj
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
I bought a couple DIR-615s (they are E3 models) to use as bridges and flashed them with the latest firmware in the router database, 15778. I was able to configure everything, but I was unable to connect to my router. I found the post form the OP and was able to downgrade to 14896 and it worked perfectly. The bridges are connecting to my router and have been able to transfer files at up to 100 Mbps. My bridges have static IPs, so I am not sure if DHCP would work from them, but all of the clients attached to them are able to get IP addresses from my DHCP server.

The only issues I have are both the bridges are dropping wireless every day or so, but the wired connections are fine. The only work around I have found for this is to set up a watchdog on each bridge that looks for my router every 10 minutes and if it doesn't see the router, it reboots. Both of my bridges are claiming up times of less than 5 hours, which means they rebooted while I was at work and both of them were working when I got home. We'll see if this works as a long term solution.
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 14:47    Post subject: Re: try WDS.. it works! Reply with quote
Can you point me to WDS mode setup instructions?

Thanks

myserver57 wrote:
Hi, for what it's worth.. using the latest build (18024) I wasn't able to get it working as a client bridge either, the radio kept dropping to 1mbs (although i never tried to "join" the client AP).

Anyway, for those of you who are still trying to use the DIR-615 as a repeater bridge, try WDS mode, it works like a charm - DHCP is passed through on both wireless and lan connections.
lepa71
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
I can't find 14256. Where is it?

stevew73 wrote:
I was able to rollback. I had to reflash the latest build, then I was able to flash to the 14256 build.

And now bridging is working.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: