Does Repeater Bridge slow down primary wireless too? (wrt54g

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
kesleaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 17:14    Post subject: Does Repeater Bridge slow down primary wireless too? (wrt54g Reply with quote
Hi everyone, I'm new to all of this and I read a lot of guides before attempting to flash and install DDWRT on my old WRT54G v6.0 router that was lying around. My primary goal is to extend my wireless range and provide internet connection to wired clients beside the router which is upstaires. My main DSL modem/router is downstairs in the basement so I don't get full bars of WiFi upstairs.

So I installed DDWRT and everything went fine. I'm just running into two problems. I've setup the secondary router (wrt54g) as a repeater bridge but I noticed that my whole network (atleast when connected to WiFi) has become much slower. If I'm in the basement, I'm connected to my primary WiFi which takes longer to load webpages and whatnot and same thing upstairs when I'm on the secondary wireless which has a different SSID.

So my question is, does setting the secondary rotuer as a repeater bridge, slow down the whole wifi network? I read in the repeater bridge setup guide that clients connected to the secondary router will notice a decrease in speed/bandwidth but it didn't say the same for the primary wireless so I'm confused..

I was initially on the recommended build of DDWRT but then went back to the Stable v24 SP1 build because I thought the stable version would fix the issue but it didn't..
Sponsor
Jorsher
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Seems to be the case. I'm still playing around with the settings.

I have an E4200 as the primary router and a WRT54GSv1 as a wireless bridge. With the factory firmware on the E4200, leaving the wireless channel/width on Auto and the mode on Mixed, I was able to get 150-300mbps on the N devices, while the bridge still worked fine.

When I flashed DD-WRT to the E4200, but before I connected the bridge, my laptop would fluctuate between 72-144mbps, which is good enough for me. As soon as I connected the bridge, it's at 54mbps now.
kesleaf
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hmm well my primary router is a gateway so I have a different setup than yours but you seem to be getting a similar result anyway.

I should've been more clear in OP. My primary router is a 2wire 2701HG-G DSL Modem/Router.

One thing I noticed in the Wiki guide to setup the WRT54G v6 router as a repeater bridge was that you have to change connection type to PPPOE if you're primary router uses it (which it does since I'm on a DSL connection). However, when I go to the webGUI of DDWRT (on the secondary router, WRT54G v6), the connection type is: Disabled. It's grayed out, I cannot change it to PPPOE to enter my username and password which I use in the primary router which is a DSL gateway modem/router.

I also searched around for this but can't seem to find a conclusive thread/post. I also went back to the v24 pre-SP2 Build 13064 (Recommended build for wrt54g v6) on my WRT54G v6 secondary router. I went back after finding out the v24 SP1 is apparently very buggy when using it as a repeater bridge.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
An active client bridge will be another client that has to be serviced, which will reduce throughput somewhat, but you obviously missed the first post in this forum. I suggest you start there.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: