WNDR3700 Traffic by Month graph stopped working

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06    Post subject: WNDR3700 Traffic by Month graph stopped working Reply with quote
Well, I made another post about this a few days ago in the General section since it seems more like a general question than a hardware specific question.

But had a rude moderator simply post "upgrade" and lock the thread without me getting any real help.

But I went through the painful upgrade process (this router does not like to be upgraded). After 3 hours of trial and error and trying different images and then upgrading, I finally managed to get the latest release on the router, the 12/12/2011 release build 18000.

Now that that has been done, the same problem remains. I've transferred around 2GB since completing the upgrade yet the transfer by month graph still shows 0 for today.

It worked fine for nearly a year, started using the router on October 31st, 2010. It stopped working on October 18th, 2011.

I know some people don't like even having this feature turned on claiming it causes slow downs and such but I have never seen a slow down from it and I like being able to look occasionally and see how much bandwidth I'm using.

I have plenty of free nvram at 28362 left. I've tried deleting the traffic history and seeing if it will start picking it up again but that doesn't work either.

Can anyone tell me what else might be the problem and how to get this fixed? Thanks.
Sponsor
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2011 15:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still seeking help on this. I've been unable to find anything to explain why this feature is not working. I've tried disabling and re-enabling about every setting I could think of in the router in case it was a state getting stuck problem or something.

It's probably something simple that I'm overlooking but I Just can't find it.

I really would like to get this feature working again.
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 22:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still having this problem and would still really appreciate some help in fixing it.
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Unfortunately still been unable to find a solution to this problem.

I would really appreciate even a hint of where to go to fix this. I really want this graph working again.
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I still haven't had any luck on this. Surely someone knows something to try. I even tried resetting to factory defaults with no luck. I'm guessing it has to be a corrupted file or permission issue or something weird like that but no idea what file to look at.
05dyna
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 23:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I’m just a dd-wrt enthusiast.... I use the BW monitoring as well. In fact whenever I upgrade I always backup the traffdata.bak and do the 30/30/30 reset and import my BW usage back, my history goes back to 12/2009.

I wish I could tell you what to do to fix it but I don’t know. If I were you and don’t get an answer try a 30/30/30 reset and re-flash to one of the other builds, or the recommended build for your router found below.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the suggestions but yeah I've tried that stuff.

And actually in this case the 30/30/30 reset bricks the router. It is one of the steps I had to read about and skip in order to get the thing to even upgrade properly. There are other people that had to skip it as well to get the updates to hold.

The active bandwidth monitors still function. I would assume the router uses the same functions that they use to monitor active bandwidth to record bandwidth usage history. That is why I'm thinking it might be a corrupt file or some kind of screwy permissions issue with a file.

I have the data backed up from the almost year it was working, but restoring it doesn't do any good.
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
Still seeking an answer to this!
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm still holding out hope that someone out there has an answer to this!
steven6282
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
OMG, happy days (and unfortunately sad days as well). I finally found out what the problem was. Posting it here in case anyone else ever experiences this, hopefully they will not have to go through over 2 months of hair pulling.

I don't know how or why but my router had two different dates. Part of the firmware new the correct date (for example the traffic log always defaulted to the correct month / year), but my router itself thought that today was March 3rd, 1970. Apparently it was not communicating with the ntp server I had it set to correctly or either for some reason was failing to update the time.

The sad days is I only discovered this because I lost my dyndns domain because the router wasn't updating it. It had the last forced update time recorded as October 8th, 2011. So it never thought it was 10 days past the last force update time. I've apparently been getting lucky and rebooting to cause an automatic update at least once every 60 days since October 8th. Until this last one that is lol, it was 61 days since my last reboot so I lost my dyndns domain yesterday due to inactivity. For some reason I didn't get their reminder email.

I'm guessing the time got messed up somehow on October 18th, 2011 (the last day that I had any traffic data showing). What is weird though, I went back to March 1970, and it didn't show anything there like I thought it would. I assumed the problem was just making it log the traffic data with the wrong dates, but apparently it wasn't logging it as March 1970 either. Anyone have any idea where it might have logged this traffic data to? If I can find it then I can go update the dates in the file in order to recover and be able to see the traffic data for the past few months that I've been missing.

EDIT:
After thinking about it for a minute, I figured hey I can just backup the traffic data, change the dates locally and the restore it since I don't know where it's stored.

So I attempted to do that, but the backup only shows the data since I fixed the date a few minutes ago. Does this mean it wasn't logging the traffic at all this entire time the date has been wrong? Any idea why it would have not been logging it? Or does it have some sort of purge of data older than a certain age that I triggered when fixing the date?
cpgeek
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for posting your solution. I had the same problem temporarily, it seems i fumbled when i typed the url of the ntp server myself making the bandwidth meter not work... after a quick google and seeing your solution, everything works like a charm 5m later.

thanks again!
SanD82
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 14:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
I also would like to thank you for posting the solution!. For some reason, I also had this issue... I didn't do anything to the router, so I'm not quite sure why the NTP was disabled... I enabled it, and the graph started to show correct data again...

Too bad I lost 1-2 months of statistics... but won't happen again..

Cheers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: