Asus RT-N56U released and available!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
micman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Harsh132 wrote:
Have you ever thought about what you're doing something wrong? To break the router it should be able to

Nice. Joined just to say what I already know. If I thought I did everything right then why was I posting on a forum? dumas
Sponsor
Harsh132
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
micman wrote:

Nice. Joined just to say what I already know. If I thought I did everything right then why was I posting on a forum? dumas

Sometimes it's better chewing than talk. Burying router is really three should be able to.
Actually try to use UPS
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
With the custom firmware from our Russian friend this router is very fast stable and a dream to use.

My old 3200 is in the closet and is staying there.

On the lack of ddwrt i would guess its a low priority since the stock firmware both updates fast and has a custom build besides ddwrt.

Making it very stable and very fast with a rather nice ui.
wedz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would also like to recommend the Padavan's firmware for this router. I had those WAN disconnects as well, with the Asus original FW, and now with p9 version, I've been connected to WAN for week without any disconnects.

I really wonder why it's so difficult for Asus to fix that problem. If I was an engineer in their team, I would be meticulously comparing the sources to find what Padavan has changed in WAN code... Shocked
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Bunch of asus guys working on many different pieces of hardware and one guy working on just the rt n56u.

It helps that asus included the code on the disk rather then keep it close to the vest like others.
Harsh132
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
I already wrote about this in the Asus. But still nothing
wedz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 0:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Padavan has just released a new version of his SW (p10).
According to the changelog, it's even more awesome now Cool
micman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
wedz wrote:
Padavan has just released a new version of his SW (p10).
According to the changelog, it's even more awesome now Cool

sounds sweet, if they ever get around to sending me back my router from RMA I'll probably give it a try. After I do extensive testing to determine the cause for wan dropouts and router slowdowns. I never did any extensive log checking like I should have. But then again I didn't have time.
pianoquintet
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 22:14    Post subject: Is Custom Firmware Safe? Reply with quote
I am new to this and intrigued by the idea of installing Padavan's custom firmware.

To be very frank, I am quite concerned that the custom firmware may contain spyware/trojans/backdoors. How does one get comfortable with installing code developed by unknown third parties on a very sensitive piece of equipment without parsing each line of the code?

Thank you very much in advance.

pianoquintet
micman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 22:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
It has been checked by knowledgeable users for backdoors, nobody found anything. I can't remember exactly where I read that but I think it was on the Asus forums in a post for the RT-N56U. If I find it I'll give you a link.

edit: here it is http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20111203221130729&board_id=11&model=RT-N56U&page=3&count=85

posts 23 and 24 seem to address the question
Pharaoh
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 22:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
The coder is making no attempt to hide the code in anyway so its there for anyone to look at.

Not to mention people could monitor traffic to see if anything is being sent and by now if it was people would have chimed in.
Harsh132
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:46    Post subject: Re: Is Custom Firmware Safe? Reply with quote
pianoquintet wrote:
I am new to this and intrigued by the idea of installing Padavan's custom firmware.

To be very frank, I am quite concerned that the custom firmware may contain spyware/trojans/backdoors. How does one get comfortable with installing code developed by unknown third parties on a very sensitive piece of equipment without parsing each line of the code?

Thank you very much in advance.

pianoquintet

On it is a very good question. As you said before it's built on open source. Moreover all the patches that were made are laid out to the public. I am the curator of topics in the Russian forum and we are very interested in the fact that there are still people who can help us in finishing this firmware. Unfortunately so far apart that no one Padawan deals
Harsh132
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://rt-n56u.googlecode.com/files/RT-N56U_1.0.1.7f-p11.zip
RT-N56U_1.0.1.7f-p11 firmware by Padavan
- Fixed bug in DHCP client under ISP Beeline (cannot obtain DHCP lease for physical WAN interface).
- Fixed bug 3G modem switch from CD-ROM emulation mode.
- Increased timeout for waiting 3G modem at router start.
- Fixed usage static DNS instead of PPP dynamic DNS for 3G modems, if WAN type = Static IP.
- Added ability for dual-access to ISP LAN and Internet at using 3G modem. NOTE: dual-access allowed
only for WAN type = PPPoE/PPTP/L2TP.
- Added independed region code for WiFi 2.4/5GHz. Region code moved to tab "Wireless - Common" for both
WiFi interfaces. Now region code selectable from combobox.
- Changed modes "Multicast rate" for both WiFi interfaces. Default multicast rate HTMIX/MCS=1 for 2.4GHz
and HTMIX/MCS=8 for 5GHz. Multicast rate control also copied to tab IPTV.
- Added ability for disable NAT-PMP protocol for NAT-UPnP.
- Added custom user script "/etc/storage/start_script.sh" for system tune at start router.
- Added patch on mt-daapd ("msup"=1) for resolve bug with new versions iTunes.
- Mode "Hardware NAT for LAN and WiFi" labeled as Experimental mode.
- Fixed WebGUI controls "WMM" and "Channel Bandwidth" for WiFi 5GHz.
- Fixed broken symlink /sbin/shutdown.
- HDD spindown function performed via hdparm v9.37 (instead of sdparm).
- Try to fix httpd daemon (WebGUI hungup).
- Changed tune Linux kernel by default (user also can use start_script.sh):
1) vm.panic_on_oom=0
2) vm.min_free_kbytes=2048
Harsh132
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 20:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u
The new firmware from the Padavan
wedz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I really appreciate the work Padavan puts into his FW, but alas, the new FW (1.0.1.8p1) seems to have brought back the timeouting connections (eternally waiting supporting sites such as s0.wp.com or other avatar sites)

Going back to .07..
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 12, 13, 14  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 9 of 14
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: