Flashing via browser intead of by ASUS upgrade utility

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
snsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 13:28    Post subject: Flashing via browser intead of by ASUS upgrade utility Reply with quote
As suggested in the Wiki for installing DD-WRT on my ASUS RT-N13U rev. b.1 router, I tried to use the ASUS recover utility to install the firmware but could not get it to work. (See notes below.)

I called ASUS and they recommended to NOT use their recovery utility but to use the upgrade function while logged-in to the router via a browser. (They say they never recommend to use their recovery utility. I'm not sure why they even provide it in the first place if they say not to use it.)

I just want to make sure that updating to DD-WRT via a browser is a safe method as I obviously don't want a bricked router.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you might be able to offer.

Dave

Notes
- in recovery mode - with the power light flashing intermittently as it should...
- launch ASUS Firmware Restoration utility to try to install the DD-WRT firmware
- message stating "no wireless device in recovery mode is found". (see attachment)
- searched and searched for a solution to this error and whenever I find reference to it, it says that this message will appear only when one is NOT in recovery mode. And, I'm 99% certain that I am in recovery mode.
Sponsor
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would not recommend flashing to DD-WRT via the stock ASUS web GUI. I did it and it worked fine on my RT-N13U B1 from a WinXP machine.

It doesn't surprise me that Asus would give you an answer like that as loading a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT is not something that is supported by Asus.

When you use the Asus tool are you using it from a wired connection? Have you disabled all other network connections on the machine that you are using to load the firmware? Some other thoughts are to try the version of the firmware restoration tool on the disk that came with your router and also the version from the Asus website. If you have an XP machine lying around I would try it; I've seen this problem mentioned more with Windows 7 than with XP.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi wrote:

It doesn't surprise me that Asus would give you an answer like that as loading a 3rd party firmware like DD-WRT is not something that is supported by Asus.

Don't make such unsubstantiated statements.
http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_DD-WRT/index.htm

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Just a quick note in regards to ASUS recommending I not use their upgrade utility software. They have amazing support for their routers. I paid $35 for it and I get unlimited support for (I think) 3 years! They’ve walked me through some static IP set-ups, port forwarding configuration… They’ve been very helpful all the way around.
snsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
When I can get the other 4 internet users in my house off the internet(!), I'll give it a try with a Windows XP PC and let you know how I make out.

Thanks for your suggestion.

Dave
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
CTXSi wrote:

Don't make such unsubstantiated statements.
http://promos.asus.com/US/ASUS_DD-WRT/index.htm

Yes the Asus hardware clearly supports DD-WRT (and other firmware). What I meant is that Asus does not officially provide technical support for all of these firmwares.
snsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
While it's true that ASUS does not provide technical support for DD-WRT firmware, I was pleasantly surprised to find out that flashing DD-WRT does NOT void the warranty on an ASUS router.

Contrary to what another tech support person told me, and in agreement with another comment in this thread, ASUS tech support agrees that it is imperative that ones flashes DD-WRT in recovery mode and using the ASUS recovery utility software and NOT through the browser GUI.
snsd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I plugged the router into my Windows XP PC and had DD-WRT on my router in minutes using the ASUS firmware update utility! Thanks to CTXSi for the recommendation. It's still a mystery to me why it wouldn't work on my Windows 7 64-bit laptop - but no worries.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: