Since no build for WNDR3700 v3 I got a v2 instead

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:55    Post subject: Since no build for WNDR3700 v3 I got a v2 instead Reply with quote
I just purchased the router at Best Buy today. Didn't realize until I got it home and was unpacking it that it is a v3, which I didn't even know there was one as not mentioned on this website.

My main reason for purchasing the router was to be able to add your firmware to enable openvpn ability.

I was wondering if anyone knows if a working release is in the works for this version and if so, any idea of when? Otherwise I guess I will return it to Best Buy and try something else.

Thanks in advance for any help!!
Sponsor
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 20:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Can anyone help me out here?

Would like to know if a DDWRT firmware is likely in the near future or not for this version. If so, I will hold on to router and wait, otherwise I will return it.

FYI, according to OpenWRT website, the WNDR3700 v3 has a Broadcom BCM4718A1 cpu, 8MB Flash and 64MB RAM. V1 & 2 had the Atheros AR7161 cpu. Is the switch to the Broadcom a good thing or is the Atheros cpu better?

Again, any help appreciated!!
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for all the responses/help! [sarcasm intended]

Since no one apparently feels like offering any assistance and I need to make a decision, I have decided to take router back and see if they happen to have a v2 still laying around I can swap for, otherwise I'm going to just keep it and set it up on one cable modem and then just run my computer off another modem without a router so I can use the VPN.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 13:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the router isn't listed in Supported Devices and you say it's a Broadcom you will have to do the steps here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_detection
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
If the router isn't listed in Supported Devices and you say it's a Broadcom you will have to do the steps here:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Broadcom_detection

Thanks for responding!

I plan on taking it back to Best Buy today to see if I can swap it our for a v2 if they happen to have one, but I doubt they do.

Will likely keep it if they don't. Was hoping to get some feedback here on Netgears switch from a Atheros cpu in v1/2 to a Broadcom in v3, but didn't happen. Searching the forums here and elsewhere, it sounds like the Atheros cpu's are better, so was hoping someone could help me decide if worth keeping or not.

As far as specs go, according to OpenWRT website the cpu is a Broadcom BCM4718A1, FLASH size is 8MB and RAM size is 64MB.

Here is a link to the FCC Documentation provided by Netgear:
https://fjallfoss.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/reports/ViewExhibitReport.cfm?mode=Exhibits&RequestTimeout=500&calledFromFrame=N&application_id=651807&fcc_id=%27PY311200166%27

As for the JTAG stuff, if I keep it I can possibly try to get the info, but am hesitant to try soldering my board. Would definitely need more detailed instructions on setting up the cord, installing header and which specific software to use in that Tornado folder and how to use it.

Anyway, thanks again for responding!! I will update when I get back from Best Buy on whether kept router or not.
fggs
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 20:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Alright! Where are you located? If you are in US and gonna keep it, you can probably send it to barryware if you are unsure about your soldering skills. He will then take it apart and extract the necessary info for the devs to work on it, unless this router is somewhat different than current supported ones and if that's the case, support can take awhile or.. never heh

What I know is that 4718 cpu is already used by other routers already supported, but that means nothing. For example E3200 from Linksys, 5GHz wireless radio is unsupported. Devs doesn't like to support part of a device, so... cross your fingers!
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
fggs wrote:
Alright! Where are you located? If you are in US and gonna keep it, you can probably send it to barryware if you are unsure about your soldering skills. He will then take it apart and extract the necessary info for the devs to work on it, unless this router is somewhat different than current supported ones and if that's the case, support can take awhile or.. never heh

Yes, I am in the US. Greenville, SC to be exact. If I were to send it to him to retrieve info, how long would it take for him to retrieve needed info and return router?

fggs wrote:
What I know is that 4718 cpu is already used by other routers already supported, but that means nothing. For example E3200 from Linksys, 5GHz wireless radio is unsupported. Devs doesn't like to support part of a device, so... cross your fingers!

Yes, I noticed the cpu is already supported in other models including Linksys. Don't know if the A1 at the end means anything or not though.
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, Best Buy actually had 1 of the v2 left. Things never go the way I want though so I suppose someone will tell me now that the Broadcom chip in the v3 is actually better than the atheros chip in v1/2 and that I should have kept the v3 and hoped DDWRT was possible for it. ANY TAKERS? LOL
blindman100
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
ComputerGuru269 wrote:
Well, Best Buy actually had 1 of the v2 left. Things never go the way I want though so I suppose someone will tell me now that the Broadcom chip in the v3 is actually better than the atheros chip in v1/2 and that I should have kept the v3 and hoped DDWRT was possible for it. ANY TAKERS? LOL

well i have a v3 as well from best buy, i suppose if id took the time to verify this i may not have bought it, but on the whole for a stock router it seems solid.
Let me know if I can be of assistance , as of right now, its only being used as an access point.
Cybmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
ComputerGuru269 wrote:

Well.. The v3 is probably totally unsupported as of now.. But you aint THAT much better off with a v2 if you intend to run DD-WRT tbh Sad

I tried the 17201 build posted on some link here for the WNDR3700v2, but it was really unstable for me (would reset to factory each reboot and so on). After a wee bit of flashing back and forth to a OpenWRT build, i ended up bricking it totally Embarassed

Got a new one from the store, and after flashing that with OpenWRT, it works. Atleast its running, although im not that impressed with the wifi performance atm.

My take : The WNDR3700v2 still needs some work, and is not supported by any newer build than 17201. (Newer, and you loose the wifi altogether..)

C
viking123
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:59    Post subject: Running r17201 on wndr3700v2 Reply with quote
Purchase wndr3700v2 on amamzon refurbished. Having no issues after flashing with ddwrt FW. No drops or no resets needed for 5 days now. I use multiple xbox systems, voip and have several hardwired and wireless machines. R17201 has been pretty solid except for port triggering or any kind of port forwarding. Use port triggering range if that is needed. Hoping for a update to ddwrt Fw for this unit soon without having to customize port triggering and worrying about wifi tab disappearing. VPN is working solid for me as well from any remote location. Modified the antennas with 7 dbi external ones and wireless signal quality is always over 60% inside my house using turbo with NG mixed. Outside I get over 40%. Different wifi analyzers show better range that what the ddwrt admin gui shows. Surprised
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've had no problems with 17201 either. Been running it for a few weeks now with no reboots, wifi drops or other issues.

Couldn't get any of the newer builds installed, but since lose wifi with them, not a big deal.

People with issues probably just aren't taking the time to research and set up DDWRT correctly. There's a lot more to setup than on a typical factory firmware config.
ComputerGuru269
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Here's my config for wireless. Maybe it will help someone.

Not saying all settings are ideal or best and may not be suitable for how everyone wants to use their router, but with these settings my 3700v2 has run flawlessly on DDWRT #17201 for a few weeks.
resinis
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
ComputerGuru269 wrote:

no kidding. honestly broadcom has made some great stuff lately, so i wouldnt doubt if v3 is overall better. i know for a fact my v3 has been a beast so far, its been a fantastic router for $99 retail.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: