Cisco Valet M20 - no joy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
earlmo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:21    Post subject: Cisco Valet M20 - no joy Reply with quote
First off, I know it's not on the officially supported list or in the database. I thought it should work anyway, seeing how it is really just a wrt-310nv2.

Looks like I was wrong. The GUI firmware wouldn't take the named (310n) version. It did take the generic code, however, but didn't act quite right.

None of the Ethernet interfaces would respond to a ping, even though the link would come up. I examined the traffic with wireshark and it was sending out DHCP requests. Unfortunately, they were QinQ encapsulated, which I did not know how to set up on my pc's nic.

Strangely enough, the wireless worked just fine, allowing entry into the box and configuration. The Ethernet interfaces never did come up though, even after putting the named 310n version onto it.

After banging my head for a couple days, I put it back to original firmware, and the Ethernet interfaces came back to life.

I now await official support, unless somebody has managed to defeat this beast. The factory firmware is just unworkable with my client bridge setup, so it will act as a nice paperweight in the meantime.

earl
Sponsor
Orbiting234
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 18:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
You know what they say about assumptions.... LOL

Anyways you should have just waited for official support. Yeah the underlying hardware remains the same but these new Cisco/Linksys "relaunch" routers use a different nvram allocation size which is why you will simply break them until official support is introduced. That was your downfall right there: assuming the stock firmware behaved the same way they did on the old models. The devs have the new CFEs so proper support should hopefully be coming at some point in the future.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
do
http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
do
http://dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-detection

Not needed for this router, it is well known what it contains.

I have done a complete investigation on 4 of the 6 new Cisco-Linksys routers, the M10, M20, E2000, and E3000 and have pm'ed both BS and Eko with all the information they need for adding support for these routers.

The pm's are still, after 2 weeks, stuck in my outbox.
What we need is developers communicating with the users, developers reading their pm's..

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2011 23:53    Post subject: Success on Valet Plus M20 with build svn17598 Reply with quote
I was able to get dd-wrt.v24-17598_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini from ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17598/
to load into my Valet Plus M20.
PostItNote
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 20:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
This version loaded fine for me.

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m20.bin
LAYGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does the M20 have to go thru the trailed build, then another build from there like the E3000? I have an E3000 at home, M20 at my woman's place. I'd like to get OpenVPN running there to connect & manage things remotely.

Thanks in advanced . . .
thenotwellman
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 23:10    Post subject: cisco valet m 20 Reply with quote
following links have been reported as working out well i have used the first one myself and it flashed without a problem

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn15508/dd-wrt.v24-15508_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m20.bin

ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m20.bin
LAYGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having a problem with build 17990 after I switch the IP address to different subnet (from default: 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x). The second I switch it, I can no longer apply any settings. If I reset it to default, it functions without problem. Keeps giving me this error:

Code:
The connection was reset
      The connection to the server was reset while the page was loading.

The site could be temporarily unavailable or too busy. Try again in a few
    moments.
  If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network
    connection.
  If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure
    that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

Is there something I'm missing or what?
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
LAYGO wrote:
I'm having a problem with build 17990 after I switch the IP address to different subnet (from default: 192.168.1.x to 192.168.2.x). The second I switch it, I can no longer apply any settings. If I reset it to default, it functions without problem. Keeps giving me this error:

Code:
The connection was reset

moments.
    connection.

Well, sounds like DNSmasq is your DNS server and you have selected Filter WAN NAT Redirection or something like that. Solution: use dhcpd instead of DNSmasq and check if it works.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

LAYGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
LAYGO wrote:

Code:
The connection was reset

moments.
    connection.

Well, sounds like DNSmasq is your DNS server and you have selected Filter WAN NAT Redirection or something like that. Solution: use dhcpd instead of DNSmasq and check if it works.

Will give this a try later. Thanks!
LAYGO
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 16:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
I let the router sit (powered on) for a day & when I finally got around to trying this, it started working when submitting/applying settings BEFORE I change the DNSMasq settings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: