dd-wrt already advisable for Cisco E4200?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
tipuraneo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 20:44    Post subject: dd-wrt already advisable for Cisco E4200? Reply with quote
Dear community,

the last few months I read about running dd-wrt on E4200. I bought one with the aim to run it with dd-wrt. I'm used to flash and run specialized openWRT versions (Freifunk) on WRT54GLs. I also flashed dd-wrt, so it's not totaly new to me.

But please give me an advice whether it's a good time to flash it now or to wait a few more weeks. In general I'm interested in dd-wrt but don't like to spend to much time to get the router working or recover it from a bricked version. So, should I or should I not?

Your's tipuraneo
Sponsor
pjg61
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, my personal recommendation is to wait. I have a couple of E3000s which all run DD-WRT quite well. I purchased an E4200 and put DD-WRT on it (tested various builds) only to discover that the reliability is currently not there. Also, performace is currently not close to the stock firmware. If I work on my laptop in various locations in the house, I lose connectivity. The radios report being connected but simple tests such as PING get slow or don't respond. When I put the stock LinkSys firmware back on, all was well...

See the Wiki page for more info:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linksys_E4200
bbb_forever
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
From the various threads that I've read for the E4200, I would wait a few more weeks (or months) before trying to flash a E4200 with DD-WRT for production use.

But if you like or want to test routers in your free time, that's a different story.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: