Any plans for DD-WRT on La Fonera? Source code is out!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
dltv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:55    Post subject: nice work Reply with quote
First off i would like to say i knew of alternate firmwares but never truly realized how advanced they were and the additional capabilities. BrainSlayer great work i plan to donate as soon as i get it running on my new La Fon.

My initial setup im aiming for should goes a little something like this:

Internet--D-LINK DI-624 Wireless Router----)(---La Fon setup as repeater--connected to xbox to get on the internet

Reason i want to use the La Fon is cause i didnt want to buy the xbox addon and i used to have it close enough to my DI624 so it was connected via Ethernet but it is no longer possible

which is pretty much what this guy said
internet --- router --- wifi )) (( fonera -- Ethernet device

I also started to document everything i was reading about hacking the la Fon in a nice PDF format if your interested please have a read
http://dltv.wordpress.com/off-the-wall/a-guide-to-hacking-the-la-fonera-wireless-router/

If you find any mistakes please let me know as the info is rather a collection of data to help myself document the process.

Last edited by dltv on Wed Mar 14, 2007 20:22; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 15:45    Post subject: Re: nice work Reply with quote
dltv wrote:
First off i would like to say i knew of alternate firmwares but never truly realized how advanced they were and the additional capabilities. BrainSlayer great work i plan to donate as soon as i get it running on my new La Fon.

My initial setup im aiming for should goes a little something like this:

Internet--D-LINK DI-624 Wireless Router----)(---La Fon setup as repeater--connected to xbox to get on the internet

Reason i want to use the La Fon is cause i didnt want to buy the xbox addon and i used to have it close enough to my DI624 so it was connected via Ethernet but it is no longer possible

which is pretty much what this guy said
internet --- router --- wifi )) (( fonera -- Ethernet device

I also started to document everything i was reading about hacking the la Fon in a nice PDF format if your interested please have a read
http://dltv.wordpress.com/off-the-wall/la-fon-hacking/

If you find any mistakes please let me know as the info is rather a collection of data to help myself document the process.

As soon as the wireless bridge more is running fine, this setup should work for you. However, coming from a fellow 360 owner.... I decided to go the route of the Xbox wireless device. I kno w the $100 is steep, however it's also not just 802.11G but an 802.11A client. While the G worked fine for me for getting on live, playing back recorded HD content to my 360 was barely working with G. It get's bad if you have too many neighbors with wireless G routers and access points. Just keep that in mind.

I inititally got a WRT55AG which was great except for the fact that my sunrocket VOIP would not connect.

So right now I run the following setup

WRT54GS v2.1 <main router with G turned on>
WRT55AG 2.0 <A router, G turned off, switch ports connected to WRT54GS to make it one big switched network>
Xbox Wireless Client <Connects Via Wireless A>

Second Xbox 360 connects via Ethernet to WRT54GS v2.1
Media Center PC connects via Ethernet to WRT54GS v2.1

Then I have a new WRT54GS v6.0 <grumble> which is running in wireless bridge mode for a pc. And that works very well. I imagine if your just doing LIVE, the Fonera will work fine once bridged mode is fully functional.

-D
dltv
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 19:36    Post subject: goodness Reply with quote
Yea xbox live is only half the story. I will also be occasionally streaming shows like DL.TV from the internet. And your exactly right 100 bucks for what you get with the MS device is just way too much; that's gotta be 300% markup at least on Microsofts side.

As far as features that DD-WRT has i'm limited in my knowledge of all the terminology. IE whats the difference between wireless bridge and a repeater? maybe you can point me to a manual that explains the features so i can study up on them. Otherwise when the time comes ill just have to google and learn.
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:59    Post subject: Re: goodness Reply with quote
dltv wrote:
Yea xbox live is only half the story. I will also be occasionally streaming shows like DL.TV from the internet. And your exactly right 100 bucks for what you get with the MS device is just way too much; that's gotta be 300% markup at least on Microsofts side.

As far as features that DD-WRT has i'm limited in my knowledge of all the terminology. IE whats the difference between wireless bridge and a repeater? maybe you can point me to a manual that explains the features so i can study up on them. Otherwise when the time comes ill just have to google and learn.

If your seriously thinking about streaming stuff to the 360, I'd seriously re-consider paying the $100 for the xbox 360 device, or get the Linksys AG Gaming wireless adapter. My throughput was horrible until I switched from G to A. Then again I have tons of neighbirs with G routers.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm streaming DVD movies over WLAN, it works kinda well.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:12    Post subject: Re: goodness Reply with quote
dltv wrote:

A wireless bridge is giving wired PC's the possibility to connect over wireless link to a LAN. The bridge thing means that both segments will be "bridged", ie all computers on either side will be in the same subnet and having the same IP addressing scheme. This simplifies many things, and the usual thing is wanting all your own networked units to be "in the same network". Bridging allows this.

Ie

One/several PC(s) ---ethernet switch--- Fonera/WRT54gl as wireless bridge ---WLAN---- main AP router

In other simpler words, it can be said the wireless bridge is a "wireless adapter for PCs without wireless adapters" :)

A repeater on the other side is just a unit which "boosts" the wireless signal from a main AP, if some clients are too far away from the AP the wireless and/or wired repeater can be placed somewhere ion between, where the signal is still acceptable from the AP and where it extends the range.

Ie

One/several wireless/wired PC(s)/laptop(s) ---WLAN/ethernet switch--- Fonera/WRT54gl as wireless/wired repeater ---WLAN--- main AP router

The repeater can therefore be used simultanoes by wireless clients on that side of the extended range and ethernet clients.

The wireless repeating functions work nicely, as I have run through them. Only WDS style not so functional yet.

Wireless bridging though is a mystery yet to solve.
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
I'm streaming DVD movies over WLAN, it works kinda well.

DVD worked well for me, but Live TV and HD Content did not.
joksi
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Live Shows? Isnt live showsless heavier than DVD? Rolling Eyes

Well, not strange you couldnt HD, 720p requires approx. 30mbps througput i think and 1080p/i even more! :D

Even DVD from time to time chookes on my WLAN...
harminoff
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 18:18    Post subject: ... Reply with quote
is this possible

modem->linksys wireless-b with wireless disabled->fenora with dd-wrt->wireless b usb adapter->pc

It seems to connect to my router fine, but I can't connect to the internet. Is there some setting that I have to change to get this to work right?
Dravor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
joksi wrote:
Live Shows? Isnt live showsless heavier than DVD? Rolling Eyes

Well, not strange you couldnt HD, 720p requires approx. 30mbps througput i think and 1080p/i even more! :D

Even DVD from time to time chookes on my WLAN...

Depends on what form of HD we are talking about. The HD I record off of my cable box via firewire streams perfectly over my A network, over G however it did not wanna work. Once the windows version of mplayer handles evo HD-DVD files better, I'll try that next over A.
gregorykay
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
How would i go about updating to the newest dd-wrt firmware right now i have 0109 and i want the 0323?
Thanx
alcuin
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 0:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm very happy to report that I got a proper serial to ttl converter with a MAX232 chip (the previous one I made used a MAX202 chip), and was able to get working access to redboot, and completely fixed my bricked router, and flashed it to dd-wrt 03/23. Thanks everyone for their help! Smile
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38 Display posts from previous:    Page 38 of 38
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: