Connect 2 routers on different subnet

nestorint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 10:49    Post subject: Connect 2 routers on different subnet Reply with quote
I setup D-Link with DD-WRT and hotspot system as wireless Access Point (subnet 192.168.20.xxx,interface ath0) and LAN interface 192.168.1.xxx. Its connects to my ZyTel DSL/wireless router on subnet 192.168.1.xxx (Internet Gateway).
My computer connected through RJ-45 to D-Link can browes internet, no problem, but cannot see anything on 192.168.1.xxx subnet.
How I setup my D-Link so I can connect to 192.168.1.xxx subnet?
I relive there should be setup bridge between two subnets on D-Link but I cannot find where.
I also want to connect to my surveillance system wired to D-Link on 192.168.20.xxx subnet from computer on 192.168.1.xxx subnet
Sponsor
jsteng
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 13:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
When you say "see" are you referring to file sharing protocols?

Or are you referring to ability to ping? or access some ports at 192.168.1.xx subnet?

If your objective is the first, then you need to create a BRIDGE. DDWRT has Client Bridge that will connect two LANS together, as long as they have same subnet, will be able to see each other. To do this, set your primary LAN to use 192.168.1.1~100; then set your secondary LAN to use 192.168.1.150~250. Have your secondary DDWRT router connect to the primary router in CLIENT-BRIDGE mode and viola, both network sees each other. I currently have a Samsung TV connecting to my NAS this way.

BUT IF your answer is the latter, then you must have some routing problem.
nestorint
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 14:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
I refer to file sharing protocol but I also can ping Gateway router (192.168.1.1) from my 192.168.20.100 computer but not a NAS with IP 192.168.1.2
And hotspotsystem makes me run subnet 192.168.20.xxx.
Beside as I provide free WAP to my customers I don't want them to be on the same subnet as my NAS and home computer.
herot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
check this page out:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Subnets_with_Static_Routes

I was doing something similar and it cinched the deal for me.
herot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have a question about this method of linking subnets though...

Do broadcasts span the two networks? Or are they locked to their respective subnets? Assuming the use of 255.255.255.0 mask.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
herot wrote:

I do have a question about this method of linking subnets though...

Do broadcasts span the two networks? Or are they locked to their respective subnets? Assuming the use of 255.255.255.0 mask.

That depends what type of broadcast you're referring to. IP broadcast packets are not routed between subnets and are ignored by devices in other subnets. Ethernet Broadcast frames are on a lower OSI layer than IP and may reach devices in different subnets if you have more than one subnet on top of an Ethernet network. If you use separate interfaces (VLAN's, wireless unbridged from the LAN switch, VPN tunnels, etc.) then each subnet will be on top of a separate Ethernet network, but if you use virtual interfaces in ifconfig then you will be assigning two subnets on top of one Ethernet network.

herot
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Please describe the difference in how ethernet broadcasts VS how IP broadcasts behave in the diagram of the linked subnets on this page:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: