Step-by-step guide to installing DIR-6** as Repeater Bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
eddie864
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for the brilliant clear instruction. I was able to upgrade my DIR615D2 to DD-WRT firmware and set up the router as a Wireless Bridge Repeater (for both my Sky box and XBox360). Given that I found the router in a box it's been given a purpose and saved me buying a Game repeater!

I had a similar issue in that I did something and couldn't connect to the router at one stage via cable - only by wireless.

Great stuff.
Sponsor
mikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 17:32    Post subject: D2/D4 repeater bridge? Reply with quote
@wassy, could you detail your settings, I have a dir-615D2 working as a rb with build 16214 with a wired device and a wireless pc, after a while the wired device will lose its ip address and nameserver, the pc loses connection. A 30/30/30 reset seems to right it but not for long. I now have a D4 also so any pointers for a stable rb on both models would be appreciated.
mikk
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 17:45    Post subject: repeater bridge advanced settings Reply with quote
The advanced settings appear to make a difference with the d2, but how should I test if I'm heading in the right direction. Any suggestions for keeping a good connection?

update: for anybody else tweaking for performance this is a good place to start
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=51039&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0
dlinkman
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 15:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks to blitter for the brilliant guide.
I was able to get my 615D4 connected to my O2 Asdl router (Ver 1)

Some observation: in my Dlink with wrt r18777installed after step 12, the DHCP bits didnot disappear, so I just selected to turn off DHCP

I had problems connecting with security switched on.Turns out the main O2 box was on auto channel--it kept changing.
Also the WEP was open autentication rather than shared key.

Like others, I did not need to make a virtual interface.which was nice.

Hope this helps other newbies like me with 615D4 and many thanks again to Blitter
junbonifacio
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:46    Post subject: Dir-600 repeater bridge mode Reply with quote
Hi i really need your help guys. Im alreadyy configuring my dir-600 dd-dwrt flashed v14311 for almost everyday but still i cant connect to my Primary router. my primary router is Prolink h5004n and its ip was 192.168.254.254, i already followed the instructions stated above but still i was prompted no internet connection when i was trying to surf the net. Is there any error in dlink dir-600 why cant i successfuly chnge it to repeater bridge mode. Sad

My secondary router configuration:
Ip: 192.168.254.253
Gateway: 192.168.254.254
Subnet:255.255.255.0
Local dns: 192.168.254.254[/list]
rayman575
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 22:43    Post subject: d-link DIR-615 D4 as wireless repeater SUCCESS Reply with quote
I have just today managed to successfully set up my virgin media D-link DIR-615 D4 router as a wireless repeater. (After an entire weekend).

I am using a Virgin Media D-Link DIR-615 D5 as my primary router, which unfortunately cannot be flashed with dd-wrt at present. It doesn't matter that it can't be flashed though as the virgin firmware is quite sufficient for use as a primary router. I am using a virgin media D-link DIR-615 D4 router as the wireless repeater. This has been flashed with the latest version of dd-wrt.

I would recommend upgrading your dd-wrt firmware to the latest stable version (r19519): (this has all options including repeater bridge)

http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2012%2F07-20-12-r19519%2Fdlink-dir615d/

As per the advice found on other pages around this site, make sure you use the factory-webflash version if you are flashing your d-link router with dd-wrt firmware for the first time, otherwise just use the webflash version.

Once you have the latest dd-wrt firmware version on your d-link DIR-615 D4 router, have a good read of the following two links:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=72478&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge

These two guides vary slightly. They have been put together by people who have fantastic knowledge of this stuff, and I applaud them for taking the time to share their knowledge. I will make a few points based on my experience during a weekend of trial and error to get it right for my routers.

Firstly, under step 6 of the dd-wrt Repeater_Bridge guide, DO NOT create a Virtual Interface. I found that when the repeater router (the d-link D4) was broadcasting its own network name (or SSID) independently of the primary router (the d-link D5) through a virtual interface it caused conflict with the primary router's wifi signal and subsequently neither of them worked properly and they did not communicate. (This happened regardless of the Virtual Interface SSID being the same or different to the primary router SSID).

I simply made sure the Physical Wireless Interface on the repeater router was exactly the same as the primary router, and I did not enter anything under Virtual Interfaces.

I set the primary router to mixed frequency (Auto, 20/40 Mhz) and the repeater router (the d-link D4) to 20Mhz.

I had both routers on mixed wireless network mode (b/g/n), and both operating on wireless channel 1 (2412Mhz).

I did not disable security during the setup process, BUT I made sure both routers (primary and repeater) used WPA2-AES, not TKIP.

Both routers must have exactly the same SSID and passphrase/shared key, as when you have completed setup of your repeater router it's wifi signal will merge with the primary router's signal to become part of the same wireless network (sorry I can't think of a better way of saying that). Essentially your devices (laptops/smartphones) will not see two separate wireless networks (i.e. "Router" and "Repeater Router") as the guide suggests, instead they will only see "Router", and as you move around the house (or wherever) your device will lock onto whichever router (primary or repeater) is giving the strongest signal. Remember, they will become two routers broadcasting as part of the SAME wireless network.

As per the guides, make sure that DNSMasq on the repeater router is disabled (this can be found under "Services>Services"), and the repeater router's operating mode is 'router' and the Dynamic Routing Interface is 'LAN and WLAN' (these are found under "Setup>Advanced Routing").

Follow everything else in the guides, taking particular care with IP addresses.

I also had problems with reconnecting to my repeater router after changing the IP address. I suspect that the reason for this was because I had not correctly configured the two routers to communicate and so the DHCP server in the primary router (the one that allocates IP addresses automatically) was not available to allocate a new IP address to my computer after the repeater router was changed. Remember the repeater router has just been told NOT to allocate IP addresses as it's DHCP server has just been disabled (which happens automatically when put in repeater bridge mode). Subsequently, if the primary and repeater routers have not successfully connected, then the repeater is incapable of giving your computer a new IP address to communicate with it after it's local IP address is changed.

So, consider that after you hit "Apply settings" and the routers communicate successfully, IP addresses are allocated to all laptops/smartphones by the primary router regardless of which router they are connected to, because remember the two routers will have merged to become one wifi network.

If you have not successfully configured the routers to communicate, you can re-communicate with the repeater router by re-allocating a static IP address to your computer that is in the same subnet as the repeater router's new local IP address (that's the new local IP address you just gave it under step 8 of the "repeater_bridge guide" after hitting "Apply settings").

For example, the primary router (the d-link D5 in my case) has a default IP address of 192.168.0.1, so the repeater router (the D4) had to be changed from 192.168.1.1 (the dd-wrt default) to 192.168.0.2 so it would work successfully as the repeater (bear in mind that ".0.1 and 0.2" are the same subnet, but ".1.1 and .0.2" are not).

If after hitting "Apply settings" the primary and repeaters have not connected properly, you need to assign a new static IP address to your computer that is on the same subnet as the new local IP address you just assigned the repeater router.

So, if the repeater has just been changed to 192.168.0.2, then you can go to your computers IP address settings (google "allocate static IP address in windows 7" for further advice on how to do this) and allocate it a static IP address of 192.168.0.3, and then connect to the repeater router with an ethernet cable. The computer is now on the same subnet as the repeater router, and you should be able to connect to the repeater router using its new local IP address of 192.168.0.2

From here you can proceed to modify the repeater settings, or if you prefer to start again, do a factory reboot (under "Adminstration>factory defaults").

I followed the guides with the exception of creating a Virtual Interface (under step 6). Having a virtual interface seems to be the biggest downfall when trying to configure the D-link DIR-615 D4 as a repeater. It seems the latest dd-wrt firmware means you don't need to create a virtual interface. Mine is working well, signal strengths and bandwidth seem great.

I hope all this makes some sense.

Shout me if you need anything clarifying.
tdrd
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone have a confirmed H2 working in Repeater_Bridge mode ? I have the latest BrainSlayer, Client mode works ok, but Repeater_Bridge does not work for me.(i followed the instructions on the wiki and other places, no luck).
Sportfreunde
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have two problems on my 615 (C1).

I installed DDWRT on it successfully. But I don't see ANY option for wireless repeater mode. It gives an option for Acess Point, Client, Client Bridge, Adhoc, WDS Station, and WDS AP. I also don't see an option to set network configuration: Bridged. I tried updating my DDWRT from 14896 to 14989 and still same issue. Since it has an Atheros chipset, I'm trying to set it up but not sure what instructions to follow, would it be these ones under Atheros? http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge#Atheros
In that tutorial, I still don't see the option to set network: bridges

The second problem is that I'm confused about the IP assignment in step 2. This step is for my first router? I know how to set up a static IP on my laptop. The first router's IP (the one I use to get to its interface) is 192.168.1.1. I don't see any option to set a gateway/dns in this router's interface (the router is a TP-Link WR841ND). However I'd assume that this doesn't matter as long as the gateway/Local DNS I assign to the second router matches the IP of the first router which is 192.168.1.1? The IP I assigned to the 2nd router in the ddwrt menu is 192.168.1.2. Thanks
makaveli101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
repeater bridge works on dir 615 d but port forwards not working on the repeater.. strange...
asantaga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 0:01    Post subject: Dir615 D4 Reply with quote
Hey all,

I have a DlinkDIR D4 and have tried to get it working as a WIFI repeater for a whole weekend and failed miserably..

Can someone , who has a D4, please write down step by step instructions somewhere for the D4..

Ive tried everything, and failed.. From what I can see the DIR615 D series has some "funnys" and I think i must be missing a step somewhere..

thanks all.
(I suppose we could post this into a wiki somewhere? or someones blog?)

thanks again Smile
asantaga
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:41    Post subject: got it working Reply with quote
Hey all,

I think Ive got it working (do need to run more tests to be sure, but seams to work).

Basically the instructions are correct except for
1. The DHCP bits dont disappear by themselves, you need to disable DHCP
2. You do not configure a seperate VLAN in the wireless bit..

Basically from what I can determine the radio on this device is not able to transmit on two channels at the same time and doesnt support two different SSIDs, so its **important** to have the same channel/SSID etc.

All of this is in the original post but If someone can confirm Ive understood this correctly that would be nice..
loganxwolverine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 15:33    Post subject: DIR-615 Rev D3 Issues Reply with quote
There are many things I don't understand :

I Tried to setup my router as a Client... So, In this way, I reached my Main router, and I shared my internet connection with cable...

I thought It was the half of success.

I followed these instructions :
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater

But it started to be more complicated :

WAN : 0.0.0.0
No internet connection (cable or wireless)

So, Do I have to use it only in Client Mode ?
I use this Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (03/25/13) SVN revision 21061

So please, is someone could give me some clues ?

Regards
Rodrigo X
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2015 23:16    Post subject: Works with D-Link DIR-615 D1! Reply with quote
Thanks a lot for this guide. With it I successfully set up a D-Link DIR-615 (rev D1) as a repeater bridge. The router A was a Thomson from the house's ISP (MEO Portugal).

I found this thread through this wiki page - http://infodepot.wikia.com/wiki/D-Link_DIR-6xx:_Repeater_Bridge_(Step-by-step_guide) - and decided now to revamp it with some formatting and fixed information (check out that page). Smile[/b]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello,
Thanks for the nice guide first.It's an old thread but very useful.
So...I followed the instruction very strictly and set my old router D-link DIR 600 rev.B as a repeater bridge.The main problem is that I have ethernet connection on my secondary router until I set the virtual interface for Wi-Fi connection.When I set it on....my router start to drop the connections and I'm not able to connect it.Some times it is connected for couple minutes, but without internet connection.I also tied to change only to Repeater mode but same result
Could someone help me to resolve this issue please?I really need Wi-Fi from this device, to connect my old satellite receiver which has only USB Wi-Fi adapter on it
I run the following firmware:DD-WRT v3.0-r40559 std (08/06/19),Router Model
Dlink-DIR600 rev.B
Thanks in advance and good day to all.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: