USB Network Adapter...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
newzack
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 23:09    Post subject: USB Network Adapter... Reply with quote
Hello! Would like a little help, here's my situation: I want to use a network adapter plugged into the USB port on my Netgear WNDR3700v2. (16M Firmware)

I've got a USB cantenna with an atheros device in it...

I'm across the street from a Wendy's that has a free WiFi hotspot that's giving me my interwebs! I've got it set up and working as "Client Bridge", set up the VAP and I'm good to go. It works ok and all, but I want FASTER! See, I'm getting constant 0% signal. (-103 Signal, -111 Noise, 9 SNR) So it's hanging on by a thread. But it is hanging on!

I have this USB Cantenna thing I eBayed years ago. I'd like to plug it into my WNDR3700v2 and then use that to connect to Wendy's to get a stronger signal. I'd like to install my USB Cantenna, connect it to Wendy's, bridge that to the DD-WRT's access point and, well... experience happiness.

So the question is, am I crazy?

Of course I am! That's obvious. But the other question is, can the processor handle the drivers I'll need to install? I've got the Linux drivers for my USB network adapter. Do I need to just go buy another router to make this work?
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
A simple solution would be to pay for your own internet connection.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:22    Post subject: Re: USB Network Adapter... Reply with quote
newzack wrote:
I've got the Linux drivers for my USB network adapter. Do I need to just go buy another router to make this work?

Yes you need to buy a routerboard that is based on the x86 cpu because that is the platform your Linux drivers are made for.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 15:40    Post subject: Re: USB Network Adapter... Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
Yes you need to buy a routerboard that is based on the x86 cpu because that is the platform your Linux drivers are made for.

Yeah, I guess you're right. Gotta compile the driver, which means I need a compiler on the router. Also, is it just going to show up as ath2? On this router, ath0 = 802.11b/g/n and ath1 = 802.11a.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: