E3000...did I do it right?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 21:26    Post subject: E3000...did I do it right? Reply with quote
Hi guys and gals Smile

So, my intention was to flash my E3000 and use it downstairs for my HTPC and receiver as a bridge to my main router (an E4200) upstairs in my office for internet access. I also wanted to provide a nice strong signal for wifi downstairs for my phone and guest's laptops/phones/whatever.

What I wanted to do is use the 5ghz radio for my connection wirelessly upstairs for all my traffic.

I succesfully flashed dd-wrt.v24-14929_NEWD-2_K2.6_std_usb_ftp-e3000, and set up my 5ghz radio as a client bridge, and my 2.4ghz radio as an AP. I have full internet access on my HTPC as you can see here (blackangst_htpc is what I named my E3000):

I am also succesfully connected (I believe) to the AP on the 2.4ghz radio on my phone as you can see here (htpc is the SSID I chose for the AP):

The interesting thing to me is under my connection it doesnt say secured like the regular wifi connection does...maybe this is typical for connection to an AP? Is this connection secure?

blackangst on wifi is my SSID for the 2.4ghz radio on my E4200 upstairs. I named my SSID for the 5ghz radio blackangst5ghz.

So, my question is, it appears I did it correctly? This is the first time Ive played with a 5ghz/simultaneous dual band router so Im a little confused as to whats connected to what on what radio. Again, my goal was to provide the fastest wireless connection from downstairs to upstairs (not only for internet but I do alot of file transfers between the PC in my office and the HTPC) and to provide a clear signal for internet downstairs.

Here are my E3000 settings as I have them:

Sponsor
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
No, it is not ok. Password is too short, it is not cryptographically secure. Use passwords of 30 characters or longer.

Cable connections always work better than wireless.

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 22:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
No, it is not ok. Password is too short, it is not cryptographically secure. Use passwords of 30 characters or longer.

Cable connections always work better than wireless.

I understand. I can easily increase the entropy of my passwords.

Other than that?
Luniz2k1
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
The "htpc" ssid looks secured to me, seeing the lock icon to the right. It just isnt displaying what type of encryption that is set up on it because you are already connected to it, whereas the others (blackangst & ukon) show what type of encryption is set up on those because you are not connected to those. If you were to disconnect and forget the settings on the "htpc" on your phone, then it would show what encryption is set up on it. It will only show the encryption on SSID's that it is not connected to.

Looks normal to me.

Got OpenDNS?
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Luniz2k1 wrote:
The "htpc" ssid looks secured to me, seeing the lock icon to the right. It just isnt displaying what type of encryption that is set up on it because you are already connected to it, whereas the others (blackangst & ukon) show what type of encryption is set up on those because you are not connected to those. If you were to disconnect and forget the settings on the "htpc" on your phone, then it would show what encryption is set up on it. It will only show the encryption on SSID's that it is not connected to.

Looks normal to me.

Thank you...and youre right. When not connected it shows secured with wpa/wpa2 psk.
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 16:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK entropy changed to 25 bits Smile

Looks like Im getting between 5 and 6.25 MB/s transfer speeds over 5ghz N. Seems about right.

edit: Would there be a performance advantage to flashing over the initial trail build? Im thinking if it isnt broke dont fix it :p
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well, I updated my firmware from trailing to 15962...and my transfer rates now over 5ghz N went from 5-6MB/s to 6-12 MB/s Razz

One thing I noticed though..the transfer will start at like 12MB/s then drop and stay at 6.5-7 MB/s. Why wouldnt they stay at 11-12?
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
OK now Im having a strange issue with the router downstairs/AP.

My wifi when connected to the AP doesnt stay connected. My phone not only constantly scans (which is normal), but it disconnects, re-authenticates, then reconnects...every 3-5 secs. I notice not only the scanning for networks while on the settings page of the phone (Evo4G), but when Ive got wifi analyzer open. At the top it tells you your wifi status, and its constantly going from not connected to authenticating to connecting to connected. When I connect to the main router (the E4200 upstairs) it doesnt do this...it still scans for new networks as it should, but Im not constantly disconnecting and re-authenticating. Only when connected to the AP.

Any ideas?
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 17:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
blackangst wrote:
OK now Im having a strange issue with the router downstairs/AP.

My wifi when connected to the AP doesnt stay connected. My phone not only constantly scans (which is normal), but it disconnects, re-authenticates, then reconnects...every 3-5 secs. I notice not only the scanning for networks while on the settings page of the phone (Evo4G), but when Ive got wifi analyzer open. At the top it tells you your wifi status, and its constantly going from not connected to authenticating to connecting to connected. When I connect to the main router (the E4200 upstairs) it doesnt do this...it still scans for new networks as it should, but Im not constantly disconnecting and re-authenticating. Only when connected to the AP.

Any ideas?

OK I just figured it out, although the reason for it eludes me. I was going through wireless--> WL0 (my 2.4ghz radio) advanced menu and remembered I had dropped my TX power a bit for prevention of potential heating issues. Just for the heck of it I set it back to the default 71, and solved the issue. My wifi now stays connected. Strange thing is, it was disconnecting and re-authenticating even while standing right next to it with full signal. No idea why it would do that after dropping TX power. Maybe this can help others that may have similar AP dropping issues?

I'd still like a response to my earlier question if possible:

blackangst wrote:
Well, I updated my firmware from trailing to 15962...and my transfer rates now over 5ghz N went from 5-6MB/s to 6-12 MB/s Razz

One thing I noticed though..the transfer will start at like 12MB/s then drop and stay at 6.5-7 MB/s. Why wouldnt they stay at 11-12?
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
just use a MAC address filter
blackangst
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
wats6831 wrote:
just use a MAC address filter

Why?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: