Maximum of wireless clients

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
geertn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 13:18    Post subject: Maximum of wireless clients Reply with quote
I was wondering about the maximum of wireless client a linksys WRT54GL can handle or anyone have seen handle. I need to setup wireless for a conference of ~80 people using the wireless at the same time. I was thinking of setting up 3 WRT54GL access points, each on one of the 3 frequentions that do not interfere with each other.

My guess is that these APs are not capable of doing this and that I need some more professional hardware. But I'm interested in other peoples opinion about this.
Sponsor
chabm_more
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
default linksys firmwares can only support upto 32 wireless clients each wireless router or wap. we've tested that in the lab, way back.

with the ddwrt, i believe, its upto 128 wireless clients. ive never tested it personally though.

with 80 wireless client in your mind. using default linksys firmware, yes, you might need 3 of those... but

you can buy a wrt54gl, upgrade it with ddwrt, v23 sp1, then try it running with 80 wireless clients... tell us how it goes.

that way, if it works great, you dont have to buy another 2, if it doesnt, then i guess, you need 3Smile

*former EarthLink LPV TRON(Level 3 Tech Support)
Technical Support Representative(US CableISP)
Convergys Philippines
Cebu Site
tlj2
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 14:27    Post subject: Re: Maximum of wireless clients Reply with quote
geertn wrote:
I was wondering about the maximum of wireless client a linksys WRT54GL can handle or anyone have seen handle. I need to setup wireless for a conference of ~80 people using the wireless at the same time. I was thinking of setting up 3 WRT54GL access points, each on one of the 3 frequentions that do not interfere with each other.

My guess is that these APs are not capable of doing this and that I need some more professional hardware. But I'm interested in other peoples opinion about this.

Normal APs top at 30 to 80 clients. After that the network takes on a slow death.

Note - I use Vivato base stations (APs). I average 200+ connected clients and have seen as many as 350 active connected clients on a single Vivato and still going strong. The specs on the Vivatio state they are factory rated for 1500+ clients.

And the really cool thing is, factory stock notebook computers (no external antenna) can connect up to 3 miles (1.5 miles best connections).

geertn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for your replies. I don't want to try to see if it works, I want to be sure it works. I might be able to borrow some professional grade APs. I will also look into the vivato gear.
geertn
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
The problem with a lot of people using wireless in 1 room is the problem of distributing clients. In relation to that, I wondered if it is possible to set a maximum of associated users in the dd-wrt firmware, and if that maximum is reached, will the users' computer go off and find another access point for the same ssid or will it keep trying. (iow, does the dd-wrt firmware send a "deny" signal (if that even exists in the 802.11b/g standard) or does it just ignore the users' computer).

Anyway, I got a firm that volunteered (one of our vendors) to take care of the wireless on the event. In case they fuck up, I keep 3 linksys WRT54GL and one 802.11a access point as spare that I setup up front and can plug in any moment.
chabm_more
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
i guess the only way to control the maximum number of clients per AP is by mac filter. you can set certain PCs to associate with that specific AP, and others to the other AP. i guess that's the only way you'll be able to like control number of w/clients on each AP
*former EarthLink LPV TRON(Level 3 Tech Support)
Technical Support Representative(US CableISP)
Convergys Philippines
Cebu Site
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: