Edimax BR-6574N

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
azphzero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 22:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
azphzero wrote:
So, I just wasted about 4 hours trying to flash DD-WRT onto my BR6574n...
It appears to be one of the 1.0A models which others have had trouble flashing.

I started trying to flash various versions of DD-WRT over TFTP, connecting to 192.168.1.6, but after the reboot, the modem would be back on stock firmware.

Then I spotted this post:
oschmadi wrote:
Hello SSCC and alex350r,

have you tried the initial TFTP-flash with the factory-to-dd-wrt.bin version Sash provided on page 7 of this thread?

It has a CSYS header...

Flashing that firmware over TFTP or web just resulted in a brick, and reflashing DD-WRT over that was just as unsuccessful as before.

After that failure, I put the stock 1.70 firmware back on, and tried another cycle of uploading DDWRT over TFTP, with the same problems as what I started with.

Somewhere in that last set of updates, it stopped reverting to the stock, but there is no web interface or any other means of communicating with it. Right now, the WLAN led flashes orange intermittently along with the power led. My guess is that it's updated partially but some problem has stopped it from loading the full system.

Some kind of workable method to flash DDWRT to these problematic models would be nice...

Some more observations, based on my second set of attempted updates:

I've tried both of kmmg's images: the original one and the one with the modified header here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=410534#410534 Neither worked when flashing over tftp, although the web flash menu appears to accept the modified header version.

When flashing one of the dd-wrt images over stock, it appears to download properly, but the router reboots back into the edimax firmware.

If the router however has bricked firmware from a failed upgrade (as what happened when I tried the modified image via the web upgrade menu), then when I attempt a dd-wrt flash, it appears to download but the router sits in the recovery mode and is unusable. At this point, holding down the reset button for 5 seconds makes the wifi light go solid yellow and reboots the router back into recovery.

This is in contrast to what happens when the router is running edimax firmware - holding reset at this point causes the power light to flash rapidly, then the router reboots.

My guess is that the bootloader is rejecting the dd-wrt images - would need to link to the serial and find out why.

It'd be helpful if someone could explain the process of getting a serial console on this router - I've read you need a TTL converter of some kind, but that still leaves connecting to the pads on the board itself - is there some way of doing that without soldering...[/url]
Sponsor
SSCC
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 19:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been active before in this thread. When I tried to flash dd-wrt into my router, it seemed to accept the new firmware but it actually didn't overwrote stock firmware.
I also used a serial interface during this operation.

My conclusion is that there are different cfe's in some routers, and that those routers cannot accept dd-wrt due to less availible memory.
A solution (if my conclusion is right) is to change cfe. That's a risky operation, and not to be done by none experts.
azphzero
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hm, ah well. I've got a serial header soldered on to my Edimax router now, but have yet to get to a serial console as I blew up my first TTL converter Embarassed

Quote:
SSCC wrote:
...there are different cfe's in some routers, and that those routers cannot accept dd-wrt due to less availible memory.

I'm hoping that this is not the case, but it seems quite likely as I've heard serial flash is not much different from TFTP (which I've tried many times).

In any case, I just bought a router capable of running DD-WRT and OpenWrt, so this is more of a curiosity than a pressing issue now.
michoo
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
R18687 doesn't work.
iamisraeli
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 23:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
anyone tried the new r18687?
can confirm if that working?

I am on 18007 but i got a trouble connecting with L2TP...
anitemp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:40    Post subject: r18687? which image? Reply with quote
How do i webflash the newest firmware from here: http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2012%2F03-08-12-r18687%2Ffiles%2FEdimax-BR6574N/

or can i just TFTP it?

also how do i flash using .tftp files? is it the same as with .bin?
m0ck
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 21:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wlan is broken on 18024,18687,18740
Tried settings reset and hard (30-30-30) reset didn't help. With 18687 web console crashes alot.

The latest good that worked for me is 18007, so wen't back to this build.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote
The last rom with properly working WiFi with N transfers is this version:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/down.php?path=downloads%2Fothers%2Feko%2FBrainSlayer-V24-preSP2%2F2010%2F08-12-10-r14929%2FEdimax-BR6574N/
Every other version i've tried just does not allow to connect with 300 mbit connection (150 only). For me it's a huge feedback.
tlewthwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 19:43    Post subject: WLAN still not working on 18777 Reply with quote
I have tried 18777 and WLAN still not working. Am using 18007 which works fine albeit connecting at 150mbps.

Has anyone had any issues (e.g. overheating or dropping connection) with changing the wireless power out from the default of 71mW. Have been running for a few days at 84mW and is stable.

Thanks
vadimdr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:04    Post subject: Re: WLAN still not working on 18777 Reply with quote
tlewthwa wrote:
I have tried 18777 and WLAN still not working. Am using 18007 which works fine albeit connecting at 150mbps.

Has anyone had any issues (e.g. overheating or dropping connection) with changing the wireless power out from the default of 71mW. Have been running for a few days at 84mW and is stable.

Thanks

I am using 18000 version and have no problems at all. My TV connects wireless at 270Mbps. I am using default 71mW
tlewthwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 21:05    Post subject: Re: WLAN still not working on 18777 Reply with quote
vadimdr wrote:
I am using 18000 version and have no problems at all. My TV connects wireless at 270Mbps. I am using default 71mW

That is very interesting, thank you. I have just tried 18000 and my max connection is still 150Mbps. I can connect to other networks at 300Mbs so it ought be the access point. Are you using anything on wireless settings different from the default e.g. channel number and width, other settings on advanced tab.

Many thanks.
anitemp
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:09    Post subject: Re: WLAN still not working on 18777 Reply with quote
tlewthwa wrote:
vadimdr wrote:

That is very interesting, thank you. I have just tried 18000 and my max connection is still 150Mbps. I can connect to other networks at 300Mbs so it ought be the access point. Are you using anything on wireless settings different from the default e.g. channel number and width, other settings on advanced tab.

Many thanks.
as far as i recall, you needed either EAS or TKIP encryption when using WPA2, one worked at 300 the other at 150mbps
vadimdr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 6:10    Post subject: Re: WLAN still not working on 18777 Reply with quote
tlewthwa wrote:
vadimdr wrote:

Many thanks.

I am on channel 11, extension channel is upper, channel width is 40Mhz. My security settings are WPA2-Personal with AES algorithm. I did not change anything in Advanced tab.

I hope this information will be helpful
tlewthwa
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Many thanks for the help provided here. It seems that:

1. You need to set bandwidth to 40MHz
2. Security must be WPA2 and AES
3. There needs to be enough free channels (I am using channel 1. This means that there is a second channel to use being channel 5 and thus it must be clear all the way up to channel 7).

I am now able to connect at up to 300Mbps - thank you.
vadimdr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
tlewthwa wrote:
Many thanks for the help provided here. It seems that:

1. You need to set bandwidth to 40MHz
2. Security must be WPA2 and AES
3. There needs to be enough free channels (I am using channel 1. This means that there is a second channel to use being channel 5 and thus it must be clear all the way up to channel 7).

I am now able to connect at up to 300Mbps - thank you.

You are welcome. I was using this article in DD-WRT Wiki to configure the router http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wireless-N_Configuration
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 29, 30, 31, 32, 33  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 30 of 33
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: