ASUS RT-N 13U Ver B1 as Repeater with Static IP network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
birdies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:58    Post subject: ASUS RT-N 13U Ver B1 as Repeater with Static IP network Reply with quote
Hi,
My problem seems to be unique in nature as I have yet to find a thread anywhere relating to this. I have yet to flash DDWRT FW and will do this one I know what to do. I must say I'm an absolute Noob at Networking. Here goes...

My entire apartment building gets access to the internet through one service provider only. His chosen method is via a wireless access-point (say SSID "A1") that he has set up a slight distance away serving other buildings too. The ISP will not give away details of any hardware he uses nor make any settings changes at his end.
This ISP forces all users to use static IP addresses. Each account with the ISP allows only one STATIC IP address and only one corresponding (linked with that IP address) username/password. All this of-course means that I can directly access the internet with only one device at a time.

Now I wish to share this one connection with multiple devices at my home (1 laptop, 1 desktop with wireless access, 2 smartphones, 1 tablet etc). Up until now I was using the Intel MyWiFi (alternatively Connectify)utility on my laptop to do this job without any problems. However, since only my laptop can run Intel MyWiFi, it becomes an issue when I must take my Laptop away to work.

I thus bought the ASUS RT-N13U version B1 to see if it could be used in WDS Repeater mode. This would require the router/repeater to connect to network "A1" while creating another network (SSID "B1") to which all my devices connect. However, I have not been able to set it up to do my bidding. It seems the RTN13u is unable to handle Static IP while at the same time creatinb "B1" with dynamic IP. All these attempts have only been made with Stock ASUS FW.
Could someone please advise if DDWRT will help or is it impossible. Could someone also suggest other routers which could do the job in the Sub US$75 range.

Thanks
Sponsor
okachobi
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I believe it should be possible if you configure it as a repeater (not repeater bridge). See the wiki page "Linking routers"

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Linking_Routers

DD-WRT should then act as a client to SSID A1, and allow you to configure a separate network of your own wirelessly. You will need to configure DHCP to give out IP's on your network, and DD-WRT will NAT route them to the A1 network such that they appear as a single computer.
birdies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2012 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks okachobi,
It seems however that the ASUS RT-N 13U Ver B1 is unable to handle Static IP addressing on the WAN side. This is the biggest roadblock in setting it up as a repeater in my case.
Any hints?
Thanks
birdies
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:50    Post subject: It's working!!!! Reply with quote
The router is now working. All I needed to do was create a virtual interface.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: