Management VLAN?

rcmarotz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 18:05    Post subject: Management VLAN? Reply with quote
Ok, so I was able to set up two VLANS (2,3) to two SSIDs (private, public) on a EAP-3660. This was done by creating two VLANS on br0. Then creating two bridges (brprivate, brpublic), assigning br0.2 and ath0 to brprivate, and assigning br0.3 and ath0.1 to brpublic. With this configuration and plugged into a trunk port on my Cisco switch, things seem to work.

But I can't access the admin GUI while it is plugged into the trunk port. Is there a way to set the Management VLAN?

UPDATE:
When originally looking for the answer, I spent time in the Senao and Atheros sub-forums not realizing there was an Advanced Networking sub-forum. The answer to my problem has been answered there.

The answer was that I never was setting the IP address for the private bridge. I was always hung up on the IP address in the Setup -> Basic Setup page. Once I set the IP address for the bridge, I can access the web interface.
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
Management traffic includes end-to-end and IP-based protocols such as Telnet, SNMP, and VQP (the protocol used by VMPS). These protocols always use the VLAN assign to SC0.

by default all three traffics are assigned to VLAN 1. Can we change a management VLAN to any VLAN ?, if we change a management vlan to another VLAN will control traffic is also changed automatically to the new management vlan or not?

And if we change management vlan to another VLAN and if we assume that even control traffic is changed automatically to new management vlan, will this switch in which management vlan has changed to another VLAN will communicate with control traffic of another switch's control traffic that uses VLAN 1 as management vlan .

And i studied that, if we move default management vlan (VLAN 1) to another VLAN and control traffic is not moved along with management vlan, we have to shut down the VLAN 1 as Only one management VLAN can be active at a time. If we shut down vlan1 what will happen to control traffic that uses VLAN 1 ( if it control traffic is not automatically moved to new management vlan and stays in VLAN 1).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Senao Devices All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: