Buying Asus RT-N16, want to use OpenVPN

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
lgbjr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:02    Post subject: Buying Asus RT-N16, want to use OpenVPN Reply with quote
HI,

I was going to post this to "General Questions", but since I'm buying an Asus RT-N16 (Broadcom SoC), I'm trying to follow the rules of posting to the right location.

I have not received my Asus RT-N16 yet, so this post is part of my preliminary fact finding mission. I've read through the "Peacock" thread, as well as many other threads, and as expected, there are lots of contradictions.

My situation is that I live in China and need to use an OpenVPN connection to get to sites like facebook and twitter, etc. I already have an OpenVPN account and client on 1 computer, but I want to move access to the VPN to the RT-N16, so that all of my devices (iPads, iPhones, AppleTVs, etc) have VPN access.

I currently have a Linksys WRT-320N and a Huawei ADSL modem. I believe my ultimate goal will be to simply replace the 320N with the RT-N16, but, as a novice, I think the first step should be to keep my current network as is, setup the RT-N16 with DD-WRT (what build - 14929??), setup OpenVPN to connect through my VPN account, and then point one of my devices to the new RT-N16 to test the connection.

So, my first question: Based on the previous info, if I use build 14929 and the "Peacock" thread info, can I achieve the result I'm looking for?

Thanks!!

Leroy
Sponsor
wabe
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Should certainly be possible but setup depends on how the openvpn account is setup. Start by reading the wiki on "OpenVPN - Site-to-Site Bridged VPN Between Two Routers".
Also if you use RT-N16 I recommend installing "Optware the right way" and maybe consider using the latest "Kong Mod" a customized version of dd-wrt.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: