Asus RT-N12 acting as WAP and DHCP Router on Guest network

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
80sguitartist
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 2:44    Post subject: Asus RT-N12 acting as WAP and DHCP Router on Guest network Reply with quote
First off, I want to apologize to the site moderators for double posting but I can't figure out how to move what I just accidentally posted in the Atheros area into the General area. My apologies on that. Nevertheless,

So after posting something about 6 months ago on getting an Atheros based chipset to work on Multiple WAN’s where the router is both a WAP for an existing main network and a Router running DHCP on the “Guest” network I came to the conclusion that what I wanted to do was not supported on the Atheros chipsets. Well, I’ve got another Asus router that is a Broadcom chipset and was hoping it would work. It is the RT-N12. I can’t get it to work either. Here is what I am trying to do:

When I go through all the needed steps for getting it working (following this link http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs) everything goes great until I try to get out to the Internet. The main network where the Asus unit acts as a WAP works great. However, on the Guest network I can get the Asus unit to hand out a DHCP IP to my computer but can’t connect to the Internet. I am starting to think now that it may not be an Atheros chipset issue but an “Asus” unit issue. Since I have never been able to accomplish this with an Asus unit whether Broadcom or Atheros. Any help or insight would be great. If needed I can also post the extremely long steps I’ve documented that work flawlessly on the WRT54G also a Broadcom unit, they just don't seem to work on the Asus RT-N12.

One more thing, I know the Asus RT-N12 will work with Multiple SSID's where both SSID's act as DHCP servers because this Interactive How to works great! http://www.pennock.nl/dd-wrt/Multiple_BSSIDs.html
Sponsor
rabrol
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 17:48    Post subject: Re: Asus RT-N12 acting as WAP and DHCP Router on Guest netwo Reply with quote
80sguitartist wrote:
Any help or insight would be great. If needed I can also post the extremely long steps I’ve documented that work flawlessly on the WRT54G also a Broadcom unit, they just don't seem to work on the Asus RT-N12.

One more thing, I know the Asus RT-N12 will work with Multiple SSID's where both SSID's act as DHCP servers because this Interactive How to works great! http://www.pennock.nl/dd-wrt/Multiple_BSSIDs.html

Hi there.
I've been having exactly the same issue on the Asus RT-N12. Followed the directions to provide multiple SSIDs (one encrypted, one public). I could use the encrypted network fine, but the public network just got a DHCP address but could not connect.

Today I got it to work! Here is what I did.
I started off by flashing a much newer version of the firmware. I had been running 14929 as per the Router database. However today I went to ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/svn17990/ and downloaded dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini.bin.

With the new version flashed, I followed the multiple WLAN instructions, added the DNSMasq lines, and the following firewall rules.
iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -m state --state NEW -j ACCEPT
iptables -I FORWARD -p tcp --tcp-flags SYN,RST SYN -j TCPMSS --clamp-mss-to-pmtu
iptables -I FORWARD -i br1 -d `nvram get lan_ipaddr`/`nvram get lan_netmask` -m state --state NEW -j DROP
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o br0 -j SNAT --to `nvram get lan_ipaddr`

Saved the script, restarted, and it is working as it should Smile

So there we have it. The Asus RT-N12 can support multiple SSIDs with separation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: