Posted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:18 Post subject: Huge RX Errors on ASUS rt-n16
I'm running v24-sp2 mega (14896). Right now I'm sitting at 44% success rate on RX (3478379 errors) and 95% success TX with only 3 days of uptime. The wireless signal will suddenly drop out, and that's when I will see a huge amount of RX errors. The only way to get wireless back is to change the channel or reboot the router.
Running InSSIDer the next strongest signal on my channel hovers around -80, so I don't see why it would be interfering enough to cause so many errors. Any guidance on how to get this thing stable?
Appreciate the help. I spent a little more time in the forum and read how out of date the router database is. Sticky up top recommends 14929, so thanks for getting back with a more up to date build. Flashing 18777 right now.
Just the update from 14896 to 14929 seemed to have fixed my RX errors. After 20 or so hours of uptime I didn't have a single error. TX errors seemed like they went up, but after creating more traffic by downloading it still ratio'd out to 100% success, so obviously not that big of an issue.
In case someone else stumbles on this in the future, I'll update with my personal impressions. Thanks for your help.
Last night I went to bed with a decent RX error ratio. 95 ish I think. I wake up this morning and it's sitting at 42%... the connection seems to be ok right now, although before when the errors would pile up it meant that wireless devices lost connectivity. It could still be the case had we been awake this morning and connectivity came back before we got up.
What could be causing such a high error rate, especially at night when there's not much wireless activity. I live in a suburban neighborhood, so there's not TOO much wireless interference, and at night the only traffic would be the various routers since everyone's asleep.
Thanks gatorback. I'm at 15778 now. 45 minutes of uptime without a single error, RX or TX. Either it's working correctly now, or this build doesn't display errors correctly . We'll see if I can go a few days without losing connectivity.
I do have to say that the wireless signal looks MUCH more stable now. I've been monitoring everything using InSSIDer, and before my signal would be fluctuating 10 db or more, even though I'm 30 feet or less from the router (and only 1 wall/door that was open for a lot of the monitoring). Now I'm only a couple db here and there.
Joined: 04 Feb 2007 Posts: 365 Location: Fountain of Youth
Posted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 13:54 Post subject: top command
If you are able to reproduce the problem (or care to do so) and check the CPU usage with top command, it may provide the starting point for insight as to why so many packets are dropped. I'm sure you would like to determine if it is a HW \ Firmware problem.
My success with the prescribed Firmware should allow you to isolate any HW problems for RMA.
Everything seems perfectly stable now. Over 20 hours of uptime and both ratios are sitting at 100%, so for now I'm going with firmware problem.
Unfortunately all this was for my parent's router, and since I don't live with them I needed to get it stable. If it starts going south again I'll replace it with a linksys POS and diagnose the Asus.
Off-topic, but I've got a linksys that dd-wrt won't work for. Firmware doesn't adhere to DHCP reservations, and linksys will refuse to take my bug report unless I pay for an extended warranty. With this in mind, I really appreciate the help and support you guys give to the dd-wrt community!
I had been staying with them while I finished up my second bachelors, so the ASUS router was one that I wanted to work with. Believe me, if it was just for my parents I probably wouldn't be messing with dd-wrt, but since I was living here I wanted something I could manage .
I seem to have the same issue as brentbizzle. I started out with the recommended build 14929 big from the Asus RT-N16 Wiki. I was having wireless performance issues and noticed a lot of RX packet errors (~25-40%). So I tried build 15778 that gatorback recommended and it actually bricked my router. I had to use the ASUS utility to flash a new firmware. So I than went up to build 18024 mega. After 12 hours of running, I have 366481 OK, 1721035 errors RX errors - 18%. TX is good, 638218 OK, 130 errors.