GURU's Netgear wndr 3400 update - test build page 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
haslipe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 19:06    Post subject: Re: tx power? Reply with quote
[quote="ldmelo"]
nisseberra wrote:
ldmelo wrote:
Is anybody experiencing shorter wifi range with dd-wrt?

I have a v1 and mega 17990 installed. DD-WRT is great and I now have some nice features I didn't have before.

MOD: Since I happen to have two 9dbi antennas here, I will buy two UFL-SMA cables and try the mod on the link bellow. Anyone tried?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7dBi-Antenna-Mod-Kit-Netgear-N600-WNDR3400-Dual-Band-Router-no-soldering-/350505342238

Just bought the antenna kit you listed. Seems like a good price, and lots of people are posting positive reviews on ebay. Got a few WNDR3400's showing up this week to try to get a mesh network working at my dad's house.
Sponsor
haslipe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 19:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having problem in Repeater mode where my Virtual wireless network isn't broadcasting correctly. I could see the SSID on my laptop, but the signal bars were empty, and it said no signal (with the router 1 foot away). I tried making a second Virtual network, and sometimes that would broadcast a signal, but I was unable to connect via wifi. Then after a while, both virtual networks were not showing up on my laptop or phone. It works great when plugged in via ethernet. Is this a bug, or am I doing something wrong.

On a side note, I did install the 7dBi antenna kit off of ebay and installed one antenna on two of the routers. I did some testing, even with both antennas hooked up to one router, I only had a marginal increase in network speed at medium range, and really no increase in overall network range. Also, the signal strength of my base router at my WNDR3400 in Repeater Bridge mode was 45-48% with no antenna mods, and dropped slightly to 42-44% with the antenna mods. I decided to install them anyway since my testing methods are admittedly "low tech".
deafcheer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
Haven't decide yet which is best for me Repeater bridge or client mode. Hmm... Been reading a lot through this post.

Is there a final and stable for WNDR3400 v2? I bought new WNDR3400 v2 last Sunday and is anxiously hook it up real soon. I see one on page 7 posted by Eko, is this still "trial" version, right?

Isn't DD-WRT designed for firmware software for all routers to create configuration?

I've been told about this from another forum. Wink
ERamseth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
deafcheer wrote:
Haven't decide yet which is best for me Repeater bridge or client mode. Hmm... Been reading a lot through this post.

Is there a final and stable for WNDR3400 v2? I bought new WNDR3400 v2 last Sunday and is anxiously hook it up real soon. I see one on page 7 posted by Eko, is this still "trial" version, right?

Isn't DD-WRT designed for firmware software for all routers to create configuration?

I've been told about this from another forum. Wink

What is your goal? I have 2 WNDR3400's acting as a 5ghz-300mbps wireless bridge on an existing network. It works great. The way I have it set up is one is in AP mode and the other is in Client Bridge mode. I have a third router that I use as the gateway with DHCP, QoS, and everything else you want from a router running there. As such I have changed from Gateway mode to Router mode on both WNDR3400 units and set them both as DHCP forwarders, sending DHCP requests to the main Gateway.

Reply here and I will try to help you out, but its a fairly simple thing to set up.

If you are going to use one as your Gateway and the other to act as a wireless bridge, you'd simple change the Gateway to Gateway mode and enable the DHCP server.

EDIT: I forgot to add that, yes this is still a trial/pre-release build but it has been stable for me with good throughput and reported conenction speeds.
Podrock
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 0:02    Post subject: Port Fowarding Issue Reply with quote
Hello! I’m running Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/08/11) mega. The IP camera I'm trying to connect to is a Pansonic BB-HCM527A the worked well under Netgear firmware under port 50000.

I don’t know if it is because I'm setting up something wrong or if it's because there is something wrong with the forwarding. Hopefully it’s something I failed to read or overlooking.
I've tried using UPnP and actually setting the port in port forwarding menu both ways behave the same. The two ports I’ve tried that worked with the original Netgear firmware are 50000 and 8001. Basically what happens is the port is successfully opened according to an online open port checker tool I use, but traffic is not fully routed or something to the camera because I get a ‘this page cannot be displayed error’ when I try to connect externally. Normally I would write this off as no biggie and just go back to the Netgear firmware and call it a day, but it works when I forward under port 80 (which I just happened to try for the heck of it). So when I set the camera to accept traffic on port 80 instead of 50000 or 8001 like I did on the netgear firmware it works just fine.
For now I’m just going to leave it like this and not be able to use the remote management (unless I change the default port) or ever create a website (which I will never do I’m sure). I guess I’m just posting to see if this is a known problem or if anyone wants to investigate/know about it.

I did a little reading online and found this command iptables -t nat -A POSTROUTING -j MASQUERADE which did not seem to fix anything. I also tried disabling the SPI Firewall, same behavior. I also tried enabling logging on the SPI Firewall and see if anything was showing up on the incoming log, nothing ever did.
deafcheer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
ERamseth wrote:
What is your goal? I have 2 WNDR3400's acting as a 5ghz-300mbps wireless bridge on an existing network. It works great. The way I have it set up is one is in AP mode and the other is in Client Bridge mode. I have a third router that I use as the gateway with DHCP, QoS, and everything else you want from a router running there. As such I have changed from Gateway mode to Router mode on both WNDR3400 units and set them both as DHCP forwarders, sending DHCP requests to the main Gateway.

Reply here and I will try to help you out, but its a fairly simple thing to set up.

If you are going to use one as your Gateway and the other to act as a wireless bridge, you'd simple change the Gateway to Gateway mode and enable the DHCP server.

EDIT: I forgot to add that, yes this is still a trial/pre-release build but it has been stable for me with good throughput and reported conenction speeds.

I will be using my roommate's internet service so he has a wireless router which will be router "A" as host router. Which means my router will be "B".

My goal is I'd like to have my own SSID name, separate from host router A's SSID. What about to enable the firewall? I'm looking at graphic picture (client mode bridge and repeater) trying to sort out what's best for me.

And, sweet! (about trial/pre-release build for wndr300 done by Eko. Looks like I've to study the installation guide.
ERamseth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
deafcheer wrote:
ERamseth wrote:

I will be using my roommate's internet service so he has a wireless router which will be router "A" as host router. Which means my router will be "B".

My goal is I'd like to have my own SSID name, separate from host router A's SSID. What about to enable the firewall? I'm looking at graphic picture (client mode bridge and repeater) trying to sort out what's best for me.

And, sweet! (about trial/pre-release build for wndr300 done by Eko. Looks like I've to study the installation guide.

Are both routers the WNDR3400?
deafcheer
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 21:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
ERamseth wrote:

Are both routers the WNDR3400?

My roommate's router is probably Verizon but don't know exact type of router. I'll have to ask him.

Mine is WNDR3400 v2 router.
Paincho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know of a place to download the WNDR3400v1 CD that comes with this router? Netgear does not offer it themselves for download, simply saying that you don't really need it and should just use the Web GUI. Normally I am inclined to agree, and I think I may very well have chucked the CD, I for the life of me cannot find the box, but from what I gather that CD is the only way to recovery the unit back to stock firmware if you mess it up. So does anyone know a place to download this CD, or would be willing to rip it to an ISO and post it somewhere? That would be most excellent! I would like to have all the tools in the toolbox before I go messing around with this thing. Thanks!
Latharion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Paincho wrote:
Does anyone know of a place to download the WNDR3400v1 CD that comes with this router? Netgear does not offer it themselves for download, simply saying that you don't really need it and should just use the Web GUI. Normally I am inclined to agree, and I think I may very well have chucked the CD, I for the life of me cannot find the box, but from what I gather that CD is the only way to recovery the unit back to stock firmware if you mess it up. So does anyone know a place to download this CD, or would be willing to rip it to an ISO and post it somewhere? That would be most excellent! I would like to have all the tools in the toolbox before I go messing around with this thing. Thanks!

You really need three things to have a complete recovery kit for the WNDR3400v1. First, you need any version of the Netgear firmware (which ends with a .chk). These are available from the Netgear website. Second, you need to have access to Telnet, which is already in Windows XP, but needs to be loaded into Windows Vista/7. The programs are in the Windows installation files, but are not installed by default. Third, you need TFTP, which is also included in Windows XP, and in the same situation as Windows Vista/7 (not installed by default).

The dd-wrt wiki has a LOT of info regarding the usage of these. The only thing that wasn't made clear, is the login NAME for Telnet should be "root" specifically, and NOT the name you provided for login to the router gui (admin by default). The password is the same as set by user.

Also, when trying to revert my WNDR3400v1 back to Netgear firmware, I first tried the disk-based solution, but without success.
juanpedro012
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 16:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Paincho wrote:

Did you ever find a link/copy of the firmware recovery tool for the WNDR3400? I updated to the latest build dd-wrt build and now only have a solid orange light, where the power button is... I have tried the tftp method with no luck.... I am hoping that the resource cd would produce results....
nisseberra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
juanpedro012 wrote:
Paincho wrote:

Did you ever find a link/copy of the firmware recovery tool for the WNDR3400? I updated to the latest build dd-wrt build and now only have a solid orange light, where the power button is... I have tried the tftp method with no luck.... I am hoping that the resource cd would produce results....

I also installed the latest build with the same result...
Power is lit, port blinks but does not give me an IP-address. I have tried several subnets but cannot get a ping from it.
Should have waited. Hopefully someone will post a solution.
nisseberra
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 15:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
nisseberra wrote:
juanpedro012 wrote:
Paincho wrote:

I also installed the latest build with the same result...
Power is lit, port blinks but does not give me an IP-address. I have tried several subnets but cannot get a ping from it.
Should have waited. Hopefully someone will post a solution.

BTW, I found the resource CD but it was not able to reinstall the firmware.
juanpedro012
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
I found my cd too, this morning, and had no luck. I am guessing that I am going to have access the serial console or JTAG, not sure which....

Does anyone know if I can just use a usb to serial connector to access the serial console (see the link) http://wiki.openwrt.org/doc/hardware/port.serial#usb.enabled.routers ? I ordered a cable to hook in my serial connector, on my pc, and I am sincerely hoping that all I have to is plug it into the usb port on the WNDR3400 since I have never soldered a day in my life. Can it be done or am I naive for hoping it will be this simple?
Paincho
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
So I went ahead and put DD-WRT on my 3400v1 and had great success, I followed the install/upgrade path that most people seemed to be doing here. I installed the custom firmware for the 3400 that was posted in this forum, dd-wrt.v24-17567_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400 and then upgraded via the GUI to dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin with no issues. So far it's been running great. I was starting to have issues with the Netgear firmware before I went to DD-WRT, where the 5Ghz radio would drop off every couple of days and I would have to reboot the router, these have gone away so far with dd-wrt. One thing I did notice that doesn't work is the big blue LED lights inside of the plastic circle on the top, that blinked for various LAN/WAN traffic. Honestly, those lights were so damn bright I used to put something over it so it didn't light up the whole room at night, so it's actually a nice thing that they don't work. But I thought I would mention it for completionist sake, ideally it would be nice to have something that you can turn on and off with the web gui.

Thanks Eko for putting this all together!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 22, 23, 24  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 18 of 24
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: