Rosewill RNX-N300RT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
ontarian_frog
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 16:39    Post subject: Rosewill RNX-N300RT Reply with quote
Hello guys!

I've recently purchased the Rosewill RNX-N300RT thinking it would be a great little router (@25$ shipped!). The description said it could do Wireless Bridging (Reason I bought it) and it only does WDS.

I would like to know if it would be possible to port dd-wrt to it.

I did some digging around the Internet and it looks almost identical to the TP-LINK WR841ND http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/TP-LINK_TL-WR841ND, except it has a WPS switch on it.

The components are the same:

AR7241 and AR9278 chipsets
Zentel A3S56D40FTP -G5 (256Mbit DDR)
FL032PIF (32Mbit flash)

Do I need a special dd-wrt version or can I try the WR841ND one? Thanks for the help guys.
Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 17:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
It is a rebranded TP-Link WR841ND v7 but it is "brand locked" so you can not flash a TP-Link or dd-wrt firmware onto it via Rosewill web gui.

Do you know how to make a serial console connection to a router?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 18:15    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't, but I'm sure I have the technical know-how to do it. You could point me to a how-to or guide would be great.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 18:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
basic info about the interface:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Serial_Recovery

the board:
http://wiki.openwrt.org/_detail/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd.v7.2.serial.jpg?id=toh%3Atp-link%3Atl-wr841nd

how to enter the boot loader prompt:

http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/tp-link/tl-wr841nd#serial.console

There are two ways of doing this, either starting the boot loaders tftp client via serial console command and then sending over the dd-wrt firmware from your computer to the router and then write it to flash.

The other way is that I make you a special web gui flash file but you must still have the serial console hardware.
The file won't brick the router but it may be that ethernet ports are configured differently in the rebranded router and you lose ethernet connectivity to it.
If that happens then you need to be able to flash back the Rosewill firmware and you can only do that with tftp via the boot loader so the serial console is essential.

If the file works without problem then you can store away the serial interface and other users can load dd-wrt without needing a serial interface.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 21:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Now the big question is, is it worth it to me. I'm sure the community here would appreciate the effort. What I'm trying to do with the router is a Client Bridge and judging by what I'm reading, the Atheros chipsets don't play nice when it all comes down to it.

I guess I should bite the bullet and try it. Worst comes to worst, I have to get a 3$ cable and restore the router and give it to someone that'll put it to good use.

Would you be able to make that web flash file so I can try it first? If that screws it up, then I'll get that cable and whip out my soldering iron... many thanks!
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have sent you a pm with test file.

If you don't like the dd-wrt firmware then use the revert file for WR-841N v7 that you can find in a sticky thread in top of this forum section, that will make it a true TP-Link Very Happy

(I can also make you a revert file back to Rosewill stock but I guess that is of less interest).

As a sidenote, Rosewill also sells the RNX-N150RT which is a rebranded WR741 v1 Wink

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm happy to report that the firmware works. No cables needed. Now there are some capabilities missing on the firmware, like, 40mhz band in the wireless settings but I guess that's pretty minor.

I will test it in the next few days and report back on how good/bad this works.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for testing!

Read the WR841 v7 thread, it will tell you what problems other users have had with this router and dd-wrt.

Last edited by LOM on Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:08; edited 1 time in total
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
The file for flashing a Rosewill RNX-N300RT (= WR841ND v7) to dd-wrt, unpack the .rar and upload the .bin through the Rosewill admin gui.

Edit: File removed since the router now has official dd-wrt support.

ftp://dd-wrt.com/others/eko/BrainSlayer-V24-preSP2/2012/

Last edited by LOM on Sun Jul 15, 2012 4:25; edited 1 time in total
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 17:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
gimme

Code:
dmesg

after boot

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
You're going to have to wait for that lol! I flashed OpenWRT on it and bricked it flashing back to dd-wrt. I ordered a cable in today and it should be here in about 2 weeks. Hopefully I can get the serial console up and flash dd-wrt back to it.

EDIT: I did flash it to the TP Link firmware before going to OpenWRT and it worked great.
crc294
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash,
I also installed the firmware successfully on my new RNX-N300RT. Attaching the dmesg output.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 20:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
fixed
http://svn.dd-wrt.com/changeset/19079

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
official support added now to the code

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nice! Thanks guys! Now... If I can only get the serial console working, I'll be able to debrick this thing.

I know the bootloader is good since I see the "Autoboot in 1 sec" message, but without the cable soldered to the board, I can't get a stable enough connection to try to flash. And without knowing if the console works alright, I don't want to solder to the board... ishhhh.

EDIT:

I have successfully debricked the router. I can say that the pinout is the same for the Rosewill and the TL-WR841ND. No bridged resistors or Vcc to Tx resistors needed. The output was a little bit garbled but I managed by being really careful about what I typed.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: