Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
danny1mmafan
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:58    Post subject: Question on a good router thats comes already dd-wrt flashed Reply with quote
I am in the market to get a new router and was wanting something that could provide very good coverage through out my house. I would like it to be dd-wrt flashed already and was wanting to use vpn with it (possibly buffalo router) This will be my first dd-wrt router and vpn. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated also i was leaning towards the buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH or the buffalo WZR-HP-G450H (so i wouldn't have to flash either one as they come pre flashed)my house is about 1900 square foot and devices that the family use are as follows. Once again thanks for any input and sorry if i posted wrong please be gentle with me LOL

Current devices on the network:

2 -- iPhone 3GS's soon to be replace by 4S'
3 -- I pods at different times
1 -- Nook at times
1 -- Xbox 360 w/ Wireless N built in
1 -- Dell Laptop.
2 -- sat receivers that run off the net.

So a fair mix of stuff running wireless and ohh forgot to mention 2 desk tops running a lot. I was researching some of Buffalo's stuff and really leaning toward 2 of them as mentioned above i think either one will work for what i am looking for but any input on the two would be great.

Any recommendations?? Buffalo,Asus,Netgear and Linksys?? Something that wouldn't be super hard for a noob like me to set up please Smile
Also if i did burchase the buffalo router is there any further flahing i would have to fo to it i have done some reading and i think the answer is NO. But i still would like to know for all the pros out there Thanks Danny Shocked
Sponsor
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:30    Post subject: Re: Question on a good router thats comes already dd-wrt fla Reply with quote
danny1mmafan wrote:
I am in the market to get a new router and was wanting something that could provide very good coverage through out my house. I would like it to be dd-wrt flashed already and was wanting to use vpn with it (possibly buffalo router) This will be my first dd-wrt router and vpn. any suggestions would be greatly appreciated also i was leaning towards the buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH or the buffalo WZR-HP-G450H (so i wouldn't have to flash either one as they come pre flashed)my house is about 1900 square foot and devices that the family use are as follows. Once again thanks for any input and sorry if i posted wrong please be gentle with me LOL

Current devices on the network:

2 -- iPhone 3GS's soon to be replace by 4S'
3 -- I pods at different times
1 -- Nook at times
1 -- Xbox 360 w/ Wireless N built in
1 -- Dell Laptop.
2 -- sat receivers that run off the net.

So a fair mix of stuff running wireless and ohh forgot to mention 2 desk tops running a lot. I was researching some of Buffalo's stuff and really leaning toward 2 of them as mentioned above i think either one will work for what i am looking for but any input on the two would be great.

Any recommendations?? Buffalo,Asus,Netgear and Linksys?? Something that wouldn't be super hard for a noob like me to set up please Smile
Also if i did burchase the buffalo router is there any further flahing i would have to fo to it i have done some reading and i think the answer is NO. But i still would like to know for all the pros out there Thanks Danny Shocked

I have 2x wzr-hp-g300nh v1 and 1x wzr-hp-ag300h and they work great for me, but i don't use vpn on it so i cannot comment on that, but i do know they can utilize openvpn. Of the ones you listed there, i would suggest the wzr-hp-g300nh, because it has great wireless range for me. And should you need to upgrade your dd-wrt build for it, the process isn't that hard, but i would stick with buffalo dd-wrt builds, which are available on their site. I got my before they started shipping with dd-wrt pre-flashed, so i had to flash using the community builds (non buffalo dd-wrt) and flashing back between the community and buffalo dd-wrt builds is a somewhat difficult process. Configuring may be moderately difficult if you are very new to router configs, but if you have set one up before, it shouldn't be to hard.

i would also suggest you research thru the likes of google, because the newer buffalo units seem to have alot of negative reviews, specially in the wireless area, though my experience with them have been great so far (been using them a little over a year now). I also use a few different broadcom supported dd-wrt units as well, all perform pretty smoothly.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
Moebius
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, for the quick background: After nursing my WRT54g and gs along for more years than I care to admit to (which also means I'm way behind on what models are worthwhile now), we've finally bought a house and I'm planning on running a wired network through with access points for the wireless devices. My plan is an N router with gigabit ports to hook to the modem, then a 16 port switch hanging off of that for the runs to the jacks and APs.

So with all that in mind, my biggest concerns will be around throughput speed and stability. Range is not a huge concern as I'll be hanging APs where I need them. I'm gathering from the reading I've been doing this morning that the E3000 has replaced the 600-610 lines. Since range is not a huge concern, are those otherwise pretty solid units? If not, what would be some good models to research?
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
Moebius wrote:
Ok, for the quick background: After nursing my WRT54g and gs along for more years than I care to admit to (which also means I'm way behind on what models are worthwhile now), we've finally bought a house and I'm planning on running a wired network through with access points for the wireless devices. My plan is an N router with gigabit ports to hook to the modem, then a 16 port switch hanging off of that for the runs to the jacks and APs.

So with all that in mind, my biggest concerns will be around throughput speed and stability. Range is not a huge concern as I'll be hanging APs where I need them. I'm gathering from the reading I've been doing this morning that the E3000 has replaced the 600-610 lines. Since range is not a huge concern, are those otherwise pretty solid units? If not, what would be some good models to research?

E3000's are pretty good units, the most i have read about them that is negative is they run pretty hot, and the power supplies (stock) go out pretty fast, other than that, good units. Range wise, atleast for me, the wireless range is on par with my asus RT-N16.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
papajoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 22:14    Post subject: Mega build capable router? Reply with quote
I've exhausted myself searching the forums, registry and the supported routers documentation and I am finally resigning to posting my own ask.

I'm looking for a router that will support a mega/big build, preferably something proven and stable.

My requirements are:
Supports Mega/Big build (implies 8MB flash)
MINIMUM 32MB RAM (hopefully 64+?)
Min 300Mbps wireless data (600+ would be awesome)
and I'm hoping some support simultaneous dual band support

any suggestions?

Doing all of this poking around makes me wish you could use the router database for reverse lookup... pick your desired dd-wrt version/build and get a list of supported routers and their stats--a DD-WRT buyers guide! the data is all there...why not?

thanks for the responses (even the snarky ones!)
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:04    Post subject: Re: Mega build capable router? Reply with quote
papajoe wrote:
I've exhausted myself searching the forums, registry and the supported routers documentation and I am finally resigning to posting my own ask.

I'm looking for a router that will support a mega/big build, preferably something proven and stable.

My requirements are:

any suggestions?

Doing all of this poking around makes me wish you could use the router database for reverse lookup... pick your desired dd-wrt version/build and get a list of supported routers and their stats--a DD-WRT buyers guide! the data is all there...why not?

thanks for the responses (even the snarky ones!)

You may look into getting a refurbished linksys E3000, it has all the reqs you listed and the refurb is around $50-$60 range, i have 2 of them that work great for me.

papajoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 19:49    Post subject: Re: Mega build capable router? Reply with quote
buddee wrote:

You may look into getting a refurbished linksys E3000, it has all the reqs you listed and the refurb is around $50-$60 range, i have 2 of them that work great for me.

Thanks for the tip, buddee! I actually had looked into the E3000 and I have to admit, I'm a little hesitant about getting into the K26 builds, which I would have to for the E3000, right? Should I be? I was hoping to have a more stable build than an on going project.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 23:27    Post subject: Re: Mega build capable router? Reply with quote
papajoe wrote:
buddee wrote:

Thanks for the tip, buddee! I actually had looked into the E3000 and I have to admit, I'm a little hesitant about getting into the K26 builds, which I would have to for the E3000, right? Should I be? I was hoping to have a more stable build than an on going project.

Yes, but according to your reqs...

papajoe wrote:
My requirements are:

You will be very limited on K24 N routers, i only know of 2 units right off the top that could even closely fit those reqs and run k2.4 builds, a Netgear WNDR3300 and a Linksys WRT600N. And the netgear cannot run a mega/big build because it only has a 4MB flash.

fourm101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Robust router (Installed in ceiling and other dusty/hot places)
Support : 802.11n, Multiple WLAN
There will be used as Wireless Access Point with an external Captive Portal (Not the embarked one).
Around 50$

I think that's it... For the moment, I'm using Cisco Valet Plus (M20), and they're almost perfect except the fact that I can't change the power of emission... And I'm not sure if they are robust enough.
papajoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
fourm101 wrote:
papajoe wrote:
Sorry that one won't work for you... are there any other considerations that should be mentioned?

Nope. I just forgot about the 802.11n.
So,
Robust router (Installed in ceiling and other dusty/hot places)
Support : 802.11n, Multiple WLAN
There will be used as Wireless Access Point with an external Captive Portal (Not the embarked one).
Around 50$

I think that's it... For the moment, I'm using Cisco Valet Plus (M20), and they're almost perfect except the fact that I can't change the power of emission... And I'm not sure if they are robust enough.

So the only issue you're having with your current hardware and setup is that you can't tweak the transmission power? Is that a hardware limitation? I know that in the micro builds I had to use in the past, I was still able to tune the tx power. What firmware version are you using?

Either way, what is the end result you wish to accomplish with your tweaking? improved signal? increased range? I've seen people getting good results by making changes in other areas, such as upgrading their power supply from .5Amp to 5Amp. With your setup consisting of so many units, it may be worth looking into other tweaks/tunes that may help you achieve the same end result and just use one to experiment with.

That said, if you're set on replacing your units, Buffalo does make good stuff. Check out the G300N lineup... There's a high power version (WHR-HP-G300N) on newegg for under $50. There are a few other candidates that might work for you from trendnet and others, but imo you'd be getting the best bargain on a Buffalo. (for n, under $50, dd-wrt supported)

Edit: Also, what version(s) M10 are you working with?
fourm101
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
papajoe wrote:

So the only issue you're having with your current hardware and setup is that you can't tweak the transmission power? Is that a hardware limitation? I know that in the micro builds I had to use in the past, I was still able to tune the tx power. What firmware version are you using?

Yeah, it's the only thing that doesn't work.
I'm using dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini_m20.bin.
I'm not sure if it's a hardware limitation, or just the router not fully supported.
Also, I'm not sure if the m20 are robust enough. They seem not (just by their look)... So, I'm looking for something which have been tested and recognized by people as a robust router.

papajoe wrote:

Either way, what is the end result you wish to accomplish with your tweaking? improved signal? increased range? I've seen people getting good results by making changes in other areas, such as upgrading their power supply from .5Amp to 5Amp. With your setup consisting of so many units, it may be worth looking into other tweaks/tunes that may help you achieve the same end result and just use one to experiment with.

Actually, I would like to decrease the range. I don't want to have the Wifi broadcasted outside the company.
I would like to tweak a little bit the power of antennas.

Thank you for your fast answer!
papajoe
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
As you can see from my discussions with buddee above, I'm looking at getting an E3000, which is the same design cosmetically, just a different color scheme... so no knocking the "robustness" of the look of these router builds :p Seriously though, the only tip I've heard that relates to the constitution of the hardware is to raise it up a bit to improve airflow/cooling using bigger rubber feet, legos, carrot slices, whatever works. These are pretty solid devices.

It seems to me that you'd have a hard time justifying the $$ you'd spend on the minor hardware improvements you can get from sub-$50 routers. I think your best course of action is to read. It sounds like this may be an issue that can be resolved by flashing a new build.

Have you scoured the forums for M10 threads? This one is as good a place as any to start: http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=79532

It may also be worth, after doing all of your homework, asking in the above thread or posting your own. I'm not convinced that you need a new router to be able to tune the tx power.
cythraul
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:06    Post subject: WRT310N died - on the market for a new router Reply with quote
Hi,

I've been a long date Linksys customer, owned a BEFSR41, a WRT54G and now a WRT310N.

I find the offerings from Linksys since the WRT54* to be less then appealing. Especially since the heat issue I had with the WRT310N is still present event in the most recent E4200. Reports of bad units seems to be wide-spread. The chances of getting a lemon are fairly high.

So my question is, what router should I get if I want dual band, gigabits ports, a lot of RAM and CPU to handle lots of torrents connections, very good omnidirectional coverage (I use WiFi outside) and... peace of mind? :)

The Buffalos looks sturdy and have a good warranty but I have zero experience with them. Asus, well... same there, no experience and I can't form a good opinion from what I'm reading. Any other contenders?

Thanks!
cthart
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 14:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
A contender is the Netgear WNDR3700, but be sure you get a supported version (v1 or v2).
WhyMe420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
Nevermind. I found a router that will meet (and exceed) my needs. For those of you looking for a great upgrade from the WRT54G series, with plenty of flash memory, RAM, USB port, gigabit LAN/WAN, detachable antennas, decent price, check out the ASUS RT-N16 ( http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Asus_RT-N16 .)

I got mine for $89.99 on Newegg plus a $10 MIR. It's also available on Amazon for the same price/MIR. I chose Newegg because it's faster shipping and doesn't use USPS.

Hope I helped the rest of you, seems like nobody answers simple questions around here Wink .

Also, for those of you with dual-band needs, the Asus RT-N66U is a perfect candidate Smile .
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 13 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: