WNDR3700 build issue? OpenVPN disconnecting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Author Message
yozik04
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Jul 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 14:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Has anybody filed a bug in Trac at http://svn.dd-wrt.com/

There is no sense to wait when this bug will be fixed if there was no bug reported.

_________________
Using Netgear WNDR3700v2 with DD-WRT r18777
Sponsor
hoogends
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Posts: 2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm having exact the same issue as discribed in initial post.
Netgear WNDR3700 (v1) with DD-WRT v24-sp2
(tested from different locations)
- Setting up VPN connection goes without problem.
- I can ping the router IP
- I can make ssh session to router
BUT, as soon as i go to the webinterface (IE,FF, Chrome),connection is gone.

The systray icon suggests it's still up.
Sometimes it comes back, but most times i only can choose "reconnect"
When i do "ping 192.168.1.1 -l 1500" this goes ok mostly,
but for example when i do: "ping 192.168.1.1 -l 50000" connection is dead after a few pings....

I temporary have installed another openvpn server and connections to this one goe without a glitch.

Stange thing is , that this vpn confighas worked for allmost a year, only the last months it started to give this problem and i have not changed anything (that i know of)
I hope this can get sorted and that's not a hardware issue as was mentioned.
daveM
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think the DD-WRT people only compile existing software, when it goes wrong, like seen here, they are totally clueless on how to fix it. OpenVPN on DD-WRT is a joke, even some "officially" supported routers like WZR-HP-AG300H have this problem.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 17508
Location: Hesse/Germany

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
many people using openvpn on atheros, ralink and ixp based routers (incl me for over 1,5 years now) and didnt received any "Bug"-report like this.
there are many variables in this but since u guys dont know how to report in a productive way this "Bug" will never be fixed.
imho its no bug ...its a user config problem since it affects users using own scripts. for u i have to say...openvpn has an exellent manual! ovpn is noting u learn from reading 3 lines of wiki. u will have to digg deep into the few thousand lines of man and the faq. i needed a few weeks to undersand all the flavours of "bugs" that can appear...but i know...its easier to blame us...

_________________
Forum Guidelines...How to get help
&
Forum Rules
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
_________________
I'm NOT rude, just offer pure facts!
_________________
Atheros (TP-Link & Clones, etc ) debrick service in EU
_________________
Guide on HowTo be Safe, Secure and Protect Your Online Anonymity!
yozik04
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 11 Jul 2011
Posts: 24

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 18:30    Post subject: Reply with quote
On WNDR3700v2 OpenVPN works like a charm on version 18777. I get 7Mbps Up and Down. I can watch HD Channels (from my home satellite receiver) at work Laughing. Video goes smoothly.

See http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=642444#642444 for my configuration.

Drop next part from my config. It is no longer required (That bug was fixed).
Code:
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1024
mssfix
tun-mtu-extra 32

Set LZO Compression to Adaptive on the server.
Change "comp-lzo" to "comp-lzo adaptive" and drop "tun-mtu-extra 32" in client config

If you certificates were generated properly then everything should work.

If still not working. Try to setup OpenVPN between two linux machines.

Sash is right. If you can not provide steps to reproduce and evidence of a bug then nothing would be fixed.

P.S. My config is not perfect. There are still many options that could be tuned to get better performance.

-----------------
I think that bug that was discussed here from start was fixed somewhere in 18*** releases. We can close this topic.

_________________
Using Netgear WNDR3700v2 with DD-WRT r18777
daveM
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 02 May 2011
Posts: 41

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 21:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
many people using openvpn on atheros, ralink and ixp based routers (incl me for over 1,5 years now) and didnt received any "Bug"-report like this.
there are many variables in this but since u guys dont know how to report in a productive way this "Bug" will never be fixed.
imho its no bug ...its a user config problem since it affects users using own scripts. for u i have to say...openvpn has an exellent manual! ovpn is noting u learn from reading 3 lines of wiki. u will have to digg deep into the few thousand lines of man and the faq. i needed a few weeks to undersand all the flavours of "bugs" that can appear...but i know...its easier to blame us...


6 weeks old:
http://svn.dd-wrt.com:8000/ticket/2410

we have thousands of customers who use ddwrt with our product so when one model has an issue it is immediately apparent since we get floods of tickets over it.

fyi, problem is not resolved by doing configuration over gui, i know this for a fact.
miyagi2
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 23 Mar 2011
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
I had some issues with this too but "fixed" it by using very small fragments (200 byte). Since I don't need high speeds, I can live with the extra overhead

But before everybody starts claiming it's just a config issue I would like to ask users with the same problem to do a simple test.

1. do not try to make an openvpn connection

2. set up your ssh client on an external machine to make an SSH tunnel to a machine in your network using the DD-WRT router as the SSH server. (if you don't know how, check google on SSH tunnels). This machine can be 127.0.0.1:80 so you have a tunnel to the webpage of your router but I prefer another machine.

3. try to generate a lot of traffic in this tunnel by transferring a big file or something.

4. I noticed here that generating a lot of traffic (with most likely bigger TCP packets) causes the connection to hang up.


This proves for me that the problem is not openVPN related but rather has something to do with the SSH part since openVPN uses SSH as well
msquared
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 05 Jul 2011
Posts: 3

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
My alternate OpenVPN solution died the other day so I put some more time into my WNDR3700v2. The 187777 build mentioned by yozik04 worked for me along with the tips he gave in this post. All other features seem to be working as well. Please note that the build 20453 did not work.


yozik04 wrote:
On WNDR3700v2 OpenVPN works like a charm on version 18777. I get 7Mbps Up and Down. I can watch HD Channels (from my home satellite receiver) at work Laughing. Video goes smoothly.

See http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=642444#642444 for my configuration.

Drop next part from my config. It is no longer required (That bug was fixed).
Code:
tun-mtu 1500
fragment 1024
mssfix
tun-mtu-extra 32

Set LZO Compression to Adaptive on the server.
Change "comp-lzo" to "comp-lzo adaptive" and drop "tun-mtu-extra 32" in client config

If you certificates were generated properly then everything should work.

If still not working. Try to setup OpenVPN between two linux machines.

Sash is right. If you can not provide steps to reproduce and evidence of a bug then nothing would be fixed.

P.S. My config is not perfect. There are still many options that could be tuned to get better performance.

-----------------
I think that bug that was discussed here from start was fixed somewhere in 18*** releases. We can close this topic.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru


Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 17508
Location: Hesse/Germany

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
msquared wrote:
Please note that the build 20453 did not work.

wrong. it works

_________________
Forum Guidelines...How to get help
&
Forum Rules
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation
_________________
I'm NOT rude, just offer pure facts!
_________________
Atheros (TP-Link & Clones, etc ) debrick service in EU
_________________
Guide on HowTo be Safe, Secure and Protect Your Online Anonymity!
scanno
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 07 Mar 2014
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
msquared wrote:
Please note that the build 20453 did not work.

wrong. it works


I am really having a hard timne getting this working on my wndr3700v1.
The OpenVPN config i am using has been working on serval openvpn (ubuntu) servers, but not here.
larva_pro
DD-WRT Novice


Joined: 29 Jun 2006
Posts: 39

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
scanno wrote:
Sash wrote:
msquared wrote:
Please note that the build 20453 did not work.

wrong. it works


I am really having a hard timne getting this working on my wndr3700v1.
The OpenVPN config i am using has been working on serval openvpn (ubuntu) servers, but not here.


I was having so many problems to make work the opnVPN server in this router.

after upgrade to the latest available build the configuration worked.
here http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3700

_________________
If you like how your Router Runs whit a firmware based on linux,, Try to Use A whole Linux in Your Computer, Like OpenSUSE It's Great. Very Happy
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 Display posts from previous:    Page 5 of 5
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Forum Index -> Advanced Networking All times are GMT

Navigation

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum