[Solved-RB working] v24-sp2bld18777Repeating Repeater issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 13:41    Post subject: [Solved-RB working] v24-sp2bld18777Repeating Repeater issues Reply with quote
I am trying to connect Asus RT-N13U B1 with DD-WRT v24-sp2 bld 18777 to a ASUS N10+C1 which is in turn a repeater. I have tried everything as per wiki, but can't get WAN IP with DHCP.

In client mode:
No WAN IP obtained with DHCP.
However If I use the IP of the N10+ repeater and gateway as the primary DSL modem's gateway (192.168.1.1) then the client wired to the N13 connects to internet.
Now with same settings if I change to repeater mode and add a virtual interface with same security phrase, it can't connect. (see pic for details).
Can any one familiar with repeater point out why the same settings which work as client mode fails with repeater mode?

Last edited by AZERTY123 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:06; edited 2 times in total
Sponsor
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why do the repeater (RT-N10+) and client (RT-N13U) have the same IP? I suspect changing the IP of the RT-N13U to something like 192.168.1.9 could fix your problem, or at least make diagnosing the problem easier.

Also do you really need a separate repeater and client? I don't know the specifics of your setup but have you considered eliminating either the RT-N10+ or RT-N13U and just setup the remaining router as a repeater bridge?
GunFighT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
You have conflict ip, That`s you`re problem. Same IP on 2 devices same network.
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:59    Post subject: Reply with quote
CTXSi, thanks for input,
Oops, copy paste error, sorry
N13U B1 has IP of 192.168.1.5.
It works only in client mode.
The moment I switch to Repeater mode, I can't access internet nor ping 192.168.1.8 ie N10+.

I have no access to the modem-router and using one device (either N10+ or N13U B1) is not feasible as signal can't travel the distance where I need it.
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 14:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
Finally I got repeater bridge working.
The trick was to assign a fixed IP to the N13 UB1 MAC ID from N10+. The interface of N10+ stock firmware directly won't allow this in repeater mode. But if we enter the address manually then we can reach the settings page do it:
http://192.168.1.x/Advanced_DHCP_Content.asp

However I still can't get it work in Repeater mode, but RB serves my purpose currently.

Last edited by AZERTY123 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:29; edited 1 time in total
0n3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
Make sure you enable WDS on both routers, and enter correct macs for each router (in each router)
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
0n3 wrote:
Make sure you enable WDS on both routers, and enter correct macs for each router (in each router)

I think we are talking completely different things here. I can't use WDS as all three devices are different.

Client and Repeater Bridge now works but not repeater.

The problem seems to be that IP is not assigned to N13UB1 with automatic DHCP of N13UB1; if I ask the N10+ to 'lend a helping hand' by assigning a fixed IP to N13 based on it's wireless MAC then Client and RB work. May be something else goes wrong in repeater mode.

BTW Is this related?

AndreyPopov wrote:
ASUS WL-500W
last worked build
DD-WRT v24-sp2 (05/17/11) mini-usb-ftp - build 17084M NEWD Eko

all December 2011 builds by Eco and BrainSlayer and 2012 builds have broken IP forwarding.

I have:
1. adls modem in bridge mode
2. WL-500W with PPPOE session on WAN and x.x.x.0/27 on LAN
3. LAN of WL-500W connected to load balancing router (I have three providers)
4. to load balancing router connected user segments x.x.x.64/27

on all previously build and 17084 - this work very well.

but beginnig from 17291 build IP forwarding of Internet traffic is BROKEN.

NO Internet on computers in user segments x.x.x.64/27
0n3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
the way i do this is have 2 exact same routers with same DD-WRT build (better for compatability) but should work with 2 diffrent routers as long as they support WDS then...

1, set up first router (the one with the Internet connection) specify your SSID (Wireless name), LAn ip 192,168.x.254 (replace 254 with your choice), subnet 255.255.255.0, and wirelss security ect... (i use WPA personal)
2. Set up second router, using SAme SSID and Security, LAN ip should be in same subnet(range) as 1st router, LAN ip 192.168.x.253 (replace 253 with your choice, do not use an ip form any other device on your lan, you may also want to specify LOCAL DNS server and Gateway as your first routers LAN ip (192.168.x.254 for my example).

3. Enable WDS in your first router, Wirelss--->WDS page. Select LAN, and input MAC of the second router.

4. Enable WDS in your second router... Wireless--->WDS page. Select LAN, and input the MAC of the first router.

5. In the second router (the router without internet), On SETUP Page, Selct Connection type---> DISABLED

6. In Second Router, SETUP page... Leave DHCP TYPE set to "DHCP SErver", under DHCP Server click "Disabled" and SAVE

7. Once you have saved in the second router, check off assighn wan port to switch, and apply

8. Disable SPI Firewall in the Security tabs, and apply

After about 30-60 seconds the 2 routers should communicate using the wireless WDS link

this is my setup and everything works great, I also set up Virtual Access points in both routers so i have a usable accesspoint (seams WDS breaks client connections when enabled)

MAKE SURE THAT THE VIRTUAL ACCESSPOINTS DO NOT HAVE SAME NAME OR THEY WILL WDS ASWELL
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
0n3, thanks for the detailed reply. In my case:
1. The first device modem-router is Atheros chip (The other two i.e. N10+ and N13Ub1 are Railink) and I have no access to it's settings.
2. Just for heck of it, tried connecting N10+ stock firmware and N13UB1 on WDS in a different setup, but the data tranfer over the WDS link is miserably slow.... (unlike WB)

Last edited by AZERTY123 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:59; edited 1 time in total
0n3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 22:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ya the WDS link is usually aprox half the wireless bandwith due to the repeating process.

I have 0 exp with load balencing routers, so thats the best i can come up with.

Sorry bout the delay, I am trying to resolve my iptables issue

Good luck
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote
Have you tried DD-WRT on the RT-N10+? According to the router database the C1 version is supported. I've never personally used the RT-N10+ but Asus is not known for their firmware.
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 2:53    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks CTXSi, Though I don't own it, I have access to N10+. I can install DD-WRT once original firmware is available for download - to revert back.

0n3, I think the sluggishness of WDS between N10+C1 stock and DD-WRT N13UB1 (for both wired/wireless client to N13UB1) is due to incompatibility as it is not seen in WB mode (both wireless links halve the bandwidth).
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 18:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Again got into trouble. stupid me - did not backup the nvram.
Once I switch to 3G as WAN and back, it won't work as RB with same settings.. What's surprising is it takes days to get back working - only need to fiddle with same settings back and forth.. How repetitively altering settings back and forth helps? It's not a ball bearing which works better with oiling/movement but a digital device no? Am I crazy?? (sorry for apparently stupid questions)

1. Client mode - works seamlessly and instantly.
2. Repeater Bridge - works only after a lot hammering (Instantly without encryption/WEP).
3. Repeater mode - doesn't work no matter what.
(Doesn't work - means N13U doesn't connect to N10 at all - as seen in status>wireless /Sys-Info).

By the way it's easier to maintain settings if we use repeater mode, but it never works with encryption (WPA2-PSK-AES). Is this mode broken? Can any one confirm please?
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
I have been posting too much myself Rolling Eyes

Any way I finally discovered what was throwing me off.
In Repeater mode - adding a virtual interface (with diff SSID/same security) will cause repeater to fail.
Even in WB this works very unreliably.

Also Using 40 MHz fails. (on thing I can think here is my N10+ with stock firmware choses 6+10 channel). I can't seem to get this combination in DD-WRT N13UB1 as we cannot select custom extension channels.

So there MUST be a bug in the wireless driver which needs to be looked into. Hope this info helps many who are hair pulling on this.
CTXSi
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 16:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'd double check your repeater bridge settings. I followed these instructions on my RT-N13U B1 with several dd-wrt versions going back 5 months and I've never had a problem with the repeater bridge (currently on 15 days uptime, and thats only because I took it down to upgrade to build 18777). The one catch I noticed is that the signal you are repeating should have a fixed channel - "auto" didn't work for me.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Repeater_Bridge
Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Ralink SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: