E900 JFFS read only

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
hansle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:16    Post subject: E900 JFFS read only Reply with quote
I'm trying to set up NOCAT SPLASH on an E900 using dd-wrt.v24-18946_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv64k.bin

I've enabled NOCAT SPLASH and JFFS, but I can't create any folders inside the JFFS folder. The JFFS folder is read-only. I tried to change permissions on the folder using WinSCP but that doesn't work either.

How can I make the JFFS folder writable?
Sponsor
jrscs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
After you enabled the JFFS, did you "clean JFFS"? If not check the WIKI Tutorials for help.
Netgear R6400v2otp
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
There is not enough free space in flash for jffs2 on the big and mega builds.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
And the mini version does not have NOCAT SPLASH... is that correct? Do I have any options?

I used to run DD-WRT and NO CAT splash on Linksys E2000's, but since they don't make them any more, and the last few refurbs I got were junk, I decided to try a current model.

Is there any way I can run NOCAT SPLASH on any current model?

thanks
jrscs
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM, is that true with the newer routers that have 16MB of memory over the 8MB like the e4200? If so then on the K2.6 version the STD_USB_NAS build would/could have the room for the JFF2, correct?
Netgear R6400v2otp
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote
jrscs wrote:
LOM, is that true with the newer routers that have 16MB of memory over the 8MB like the e4200? If so then on the K2.6 version the STD_USB_NAS build would/could have the room for the JFF2, correct?

I had 8MB flash based routers and E900 in mind when replying but it is true that 2-3 routers from each Asus, Cisco, and Netgear can run big or mega and at the same time have a huge jffs2 partition where you can install optware packages like UPnP-AV, miniDLNA, or similar in order to get the same functions that OEM firmware has included as standard. Wink

An router with 8MB flash have room for a 7.6-7.7MB firmware so any build smaller than that have space for internal jffs2.

jffs2 requires 192KB for journalling + n blocks of 64KB for data, you can easily check the diff between mega and smaller build and calculate how big jffs2 size there is room for if flashing the smaller.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
So then in order for me to be able to run NOCAT splash with JFFS I will have to use a router with a 16MB of memory?
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 17:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
hansle wrote:
So then in order for me to be able to run NOCAT splash with JFFS I will have to use a router with a 16MB of memory?

Familiarise yourself with the dd-wrt File Versions:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F#K2.6_Build_Features

and then check the file sizes on the dd-wrt firmware ftp.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction LOM. I see there is a MINI HOTSPOT version of DDWRT which has NOCAT and JFFS support.

I don't see a build of that version for the E900 though. Support was recently added and the downloads for this router are at http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/other-downloads?path=others%2Feko%2FV24-K26%2Fsvn18946%2F . There is no MINI HOTSPOT version on that download page.

How would I be able to get the MINI HOTSPOT version of DDWRT for an E900?

Thanks again for your assistance.
hansle
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
I looked again at the chart and found that the STD USB NAS version has what I need. So I installed that version of the firmware for the E900 and JFFS2 is working now.

Thanks again for your help.
nevezen
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="LOM"]There is not enough free space in flash for jffs2 on the big and mega builds.[/quote]

I'm having this problem as well. According to the webgui, I have 6,272.00 KB available. I'm using a mega v24sp2 (k26), build 18777 on an e3000.

I've cleaned it but it still ends up as read only and I can't change it any other way. Is there something missing here or is it truly too small for jffs?
barryware
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 17:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
nevezen wrote:
LOM wrote:
There is not enough free space in flash for jffs2 on the big and mega builds.

I'm having this problem as well. According to the webgui, I have 6,272.00 KB available. I'm using a mega v24sp2 (k26), build 18777 on an e3000.

I've cleaned it but it still ends up as read only and I can't change it any other way. Is there something missing here or is it truly too small for jffs?

jffs occupies "unused" flash space. your kb available, is nvram.. even though available, it is occupying flash space.. as well as kernel and cfe. Kernel = the firmware you flashed.

Navigation

Jump to: