Power supply for D-Link DIR 300

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 20:22    Post subject: Power supply for D-Link DIR 300 Reply with quote
Just wondering if anyone had experience of running a D-link DIR 300 at higher voltages?
Can the power input stage handle higher volts than the stated 5volt

It is just that I have a pile of 12 volt or 7.5 volt 'wall wart' style PSU's but no 5volt supplies that the D-Link is supposed to have.

I know some units can run at a wide range of voltages and some are very fussy about their feed
Sponsor
Dark_Shadow
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 22:27    Post subject: Re: Power supply for D-Link DIR 300 Reply with quote
npaisnel wrote:
Just wondering if anyone had experience of running a D-link DIR 300 at higher voltages?
Can the power input stage handle higher volts than the stated 5volt

It is just that I have a pile of 12 volt or 7.5 volt 'wall wart' style PSU's but no 5volt supplies that the D-Link is supposed to have.

I know some units can run at a wide range of voltages and some are very fussy about their feed
If we're talking rev b1, the stock PSU for that unit is 5VDC/1.2A, I would not mess with the voltage however I would probably try a 2A PSU.

Testing Multiple Routers -- Bootloader Collection Project -- My Wiki
CmdrSunshine
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Contradicting DarkShadow, most routers I've seen use pulse-width modulation power management chips that can handle a wide range of DC input, just so long as the input is stable. I mix 5 and 12 volt inputs freely with my Linksys and Asus equipment, I've been running the same hardware for years, and I've either never or seldom had hardware issues. None of my routers have failed so far.
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 13:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
Oh, well
I never used the DIR-300 as I never found a PSU. I had forgotten about this thread...my search just brought it up when I was wondering the same thing all most three years later.

Well I do have plenty of 12volt units and a 7.5.

Will know if they work on 7.5 in a few moments.
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well a open circuit 7.5 volt unit was putting out 9.5 volt.
under load from the DIR 300 it dropped to 8 volts and has been running for 10 minutes or more now..not let the smoke out yet.
jheide44
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 3:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
My knowledge here is not specifically router related. However messing around too much with voltage input can put unnecessary wear and tear on your power conditioning capacitors, generally speaking.

While you may not notice it, one may inadvertently take a device that would have lasted for 20+ years (maybe longer), and cut the useful life of your device down considerably.

This observation is made after replacing capacitors in many NES-001 units (nintendo entertainment systems) from the ~1980's.

I'm sure many of you don't care to "live with" your device that long, but it does make a difference.

**always best to find a decent quality transformer that matches OEM specs**

PS now a little boost in the amperage might not hurt... especially if you have integrated a Fan mod (I'd recommend matching fan volts to your wall wart & borrow power from that transformer directly... as in before the power conditioning caps)

think of volts like the force of electricity, and amps like the amount of electricity.

hitting it harder with the hammer (force) could break it
hitting it softer, the way it was designed to get pounded, but more often (amount) *might* get the job done better

now don't go "frying" your device because of what I said... read up (after all i'm just some crazy guy form the internet) we are likely talking mA, not A here

_.-:Curently Deployed Devices:-._
Loc_1.0: R6400 -- v3.0-r51887 std (02/28/23)
Loc_2.0: R6300v2 -- Kong PTB 35550M 03-28-2018

Others: too many others to list

R7000 (& similar HW) Tips/Tricks HERE.

Assumptions:
1. Everyone on the forum has read the relevant forum section announcements.
2. For Broadcom section we have ALL at least tried to understand the "Peacock" thread,
HERE
npaisnel
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi
Thanks, yes good advice

I did chrck the input cap voltage specs and they were I believe over spec'd in that department. Seem to remember 50 or 63volt spec.

I had 4 of these DIR-300, and did find one OEM voltage spec supply.

The first one I used, with correct voltage supply ran for about 2 days during testing, till the hardwored ethernet ports failed. No matter what port was plugged in, nothing came alive.

The unit still worked and could access the webgui via wifi, but a connection was never possible via the rear ports.

So the one with the dud ethernet sockets was the guniea pig for 7.5 volt testing, so if it did fry, no issues.
Megakbyrne
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 13:54    Post subject: Power Supply Reply with quote
As a person of electronics I know that companys like
Jameco electronics sell all the power supply voltages you need. For precision voltages and amps they are called Regulated power supply. The others are unregulated meaning that regulated are used when a precision voltage is needed. A higher voltage at first
is used for a load situation but not in precision
apps. Devises are designed for a specific voltage only
by pros. www.jameco.com google it and find right voltage precision wall wart. More amps is ok due to supply and demand of OHMS law. Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Hardware DIY / Hardware Mods All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: