Cisco Linksys EA3500, EA4500 Wireless N- Routers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:12    Post subject: Cisco Linksys EA3500, EA4500 Wireless N- Routers Reply with quote
I wanted to let everyone know that today, I found walmart had done a new reset in electronics, and Linksys had come out with EA3500 and EA4500. Application Routers.

I quickly purchased these and wanted to look at what was under the hood. Long story short, they were both Marvel chipset, same as the E4200 v2.0
(another set of paper weight returned)

Its a sad thing to see cisco go down this route, it looks as though they are phasing out broadcom in their high end routers.

Indeed a sad day,

-Fractal

Sponsor
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
When my missus doesn't pay me enough attention and doesn't treat me as a king then I start to look at other women and even make comments about how good looking and sexy they are.
Works every time, never fails Very Happy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
just a thought:

linksys seems to have gone through great pains over the months / years with their routers which looks like a deliberate attempt to keep 3rd party firmware off of the units..

removed jtag all together on the 600 (fcc pics show jtag header)

checksums in bsp's (G2 & GS2 routers)

disable jtag on the pcb (160's, E1000V1, 610V2, E3000, etc).

possibly they switched to marvel knowing it wouldn't be "hacked", not even attempted.

I know linksys watches this board.. This was realized when there was a power supply (under powered) discussion going on at one time and while they were getting bashed for supplying ps's that were not big enough, someone chimed in (from linksys.. suspected).

you would think by now, they would embrace the community like Buffalo & Asus.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 16:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
[quote="barryware"]you would think by now, they would embrace the community like Buffalo & Asus.[/quote]

How cool would it be if say someone high up in a router making electronics firm came on here, with admin's permission, and actually asked us (the end users) as well as the developers, what specs we would like to have for say three base board designs?

Basic, medium and high end. They just design and build the hardware, to all our recommended requirments and let the software gurus crack on with porting over DD-WRT to them.

Once done they go on sale at a very affordable price, possibly from here or internet site/ebay and a percentage of the proceeds goes to the gurus for their hard work.

Hardware manufacturer gets massive sales and gurus get royalties for development.

Pipe dream??
mystica555
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 22:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
Kristova wrote:
barryware wrote:

How cool would it be if say someone high up in a router making electronics firm came on here, with admin's permission, and actually asked us (the end users) as well as the developers, what specs we would like to have for say three base board designs?

Pipe dream??

Convince Valve to create and market a Gaming Router... They actually are one company that *does* listen to consumer wants and needs, and pro-actively encourages teams within to do amazing new things.

Hell, I should market myself to them and attempt this. They're 'always hiring for all positions'.
dorfd1
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 0:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
barryware wrote:
just a thought:

linksys seems to have gone through great pains over the months / years with their routers which looks like a deliberate attempt to keep 3rd party firmware off of the units..

removed jtag all together on the 600 (fcc pics show jtag header)

checksums in bsp's (G2 & GS2 routers)

disable jtag on the pcb (160's, E1000V1, 610V2, E3000, etc).

possibly they switched to marvel knowing it wouldn't be "hacked", not even attempted.

I know linksys watches this board.. This was realized when there was a power supply (under powered) discussion going on at one time and while they were getting bashed for supplying ps's that were not big enough, someone chimed in (from linksys.. suspected).

my theory is that if cisco supported 3rd party firmware on the linksys routers then the sales of the linksys branded wireless bridges, waps, and repeaters would go down.
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
dorfd1 wrote:

my theory is that if cisco supported 3rd party firmware on the linksys routers then the sales of the linksys branded wireless bridges, waps, and repeaters would go down.

Very doubtful, infact they already learned their lesson from doing that when they neutered the WRT54G series, and they ended up bringing out the WRT54GL and touted it to support 3rd party firmwares because they were loosing that end of sales. Most people were buying their hardware because they could mod it with 3rd party firmware. Which the GL is one of their biggest sellers. But sometimes when the lesson isn't stamped into someone's head good enough to keep in good practice then history ends up repeating itself.

The only thing now is if they can capitalize on people's ignorance of 'not knowing'. Which they very well could, because when they neutered the WRT54G series, there were alot less wireless users than now. Now there are many more wireless users that have no knowing of what they are doing or what to even look for in wireless routers. But i do believe they will again loose alot of their buisness because of enthusiasts, such as ourselves, do know what to look for. And i don't know about you guys, but alot of my friends come to me for advise on their wireless needs, when they do, i always advise them to get a dd-wrt supported router, so if linksys doesn't have anymore 3rd party supported hardware, you think i am going to advise someone to buy their units, no.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
wats6831
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
A look at the FCC applications and the associated photos for those router models may have saved you some money

But then again if you're like me you can't resist taking the damn things apart. Wink
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote
wats6831 wrote:
A look at the FCC applications and the associated photos for those router models may have saved you some money

But then again if you're like me you can't resist taking the damn things apart. Wink

True that.....

However when we got our hands on them, the fcc doc's were closed until xxx date.. Now those docs are available since the fcc has released them.

And I consider myself a mild pro at husking these baby's like a fresh stalk of corn.... lol

And to note, even on the cisco forums lots of peeps complaining about the marvel based routers with stock firmware, comparability issues and speed and range... So yeah, cisco did a oops imo...

-Fractal
dough29
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hello there !

I've just found this talking about gaining SSH root access : http://blog.danwalters.net/blog/2012/06/19/hacking-linksys-ea3500-firmware-for-ssh-access/

This blog too : http://techhappens.blog.com/2012/11/04/cisco-linksys-e4200v2-part-2/

Maybe some interesting things to come ?
maddmike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 21:43    Post subject: SSH access on Linksys EA4500 Reply with quote
I just tried Dan Walters' steps on setting up DropBear SSH on my EA4500 and it worked like a charm. Not sure what it would take next to get DD-WRT running on it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: