Broadcom or Atheros?

joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 1:44    Post subject: Broadcom or Atheros? Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 21:13; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:36    Post subject: Re: Broadcom or Atheros? Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:
I still haven't settled on a router I'm happy with. Right now I'm using a linksys e4200 (Broadcom). The wireless performance seems better on stock firmware than dd-wrt. I've tried build 18777, 18946 and 18000. All of them seem to have periods where my connection is horrible, going from 65mbps to 5.5. On stock it's been steady, so if I keep it I think it will have to stay on that.
Today I ordered a Buffalo wzr-hp-ag300h (Atheros). Does hardware make a difference? I've tried a linksys e3000 and was getting the same result as the e4200. The 5ghz band is always stable regardless of build.

Those three builds all seem to suffer from wireless wonkiness on broadcom. Unfortunately, you need to use those builds on the e4200. I suggest you focus on the e3000 for the time being. I can't comment on atheros and those builds, but I have found broadcom to be much more stable than the few atheros routers I have. Atheros does have some rather cool wireless options that broadcom routers don't but they can be finicky. I believe that Buddee has given good reports of that buffalo router. Take a look at the "what the best router" sticky at the top of this forum.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 21:12; edited 1 time in total
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
voting 4 atheros wifi ...much better hw and the driver gets better every day.
&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 0:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 21:12; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 0:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, the AG300H is a great router for me, you'll most likely enjoy it to. Very hard router to brick and has official buffalo dd-wrt support, even though, i use the community builds with mine.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 21:11; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, community builds are the ones located on the FTP. I currently use 18777 on my AG300H, and i can't really compare this unit with the E4200 because i don't have an E4200. Also, just to let you know, dual band USB adapters are very cheap on e-bay, i use mainly linksys WUSB600n, which are around 18$ for refurbs on ebay.

The main thing with community dd-wrt builds and buffalo dd-wrt builds is if you use the community build and can't get the buffalo build back onto the unit using TFTP, then it'll void your warranty with buffalo.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 21:11; edited 1 time in total
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
joecop67 wrote:

I've used tftp to get stock back onto my buffalo whr-g54s, so I know I can do it.

Its not the same process as a whr-g54s, this process requires that you use static arp and explicit timing, and not to mention, i have to use a hardware switch in-between to get it to take, i explained it in the wiki for this unit. So i would for sure take a look and read what you'll have to do to switch back and forth. Anyhow, hope you enjoy your AG300H.

Best Regards

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: