Best router thread [first split]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Corrytonapple
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 22:47    Post subject: Which Router? Reply with quote
I am in need of a reliable (I mean no hardware failures) wireless n router with external antennas, that has gigabit Ethernet ports. I did my research, and I've come down to two (as it seems) very good routers.
They are the TP-Link WR1043ND:
http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WR1043ND-Ultimate-Wireless-Gigabit/dp/B002YLAUU8/ref=sr_1_5?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1334174591&sr=1-5

and the Asus RT-N16:
http://www.amazon.com/RT-N16-Wireless-N-Maximum-Performance-single/dp/B00387G6R8/ref=sr_1_11?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1334174547&sr=1-11

The Asus is more expensive, by about $30 on Amazon. The thing is, it has one extra USB port, and has much more impressive specs for the hardware. But, they both achive the same thing. So I ask, is the Asus worth more money? I don't have a need for the second USB port really..... but this router may be hosting a web server for several small local companies, and possibly a gaming server, AND a file server (wired in, of course). This router will support an iMac, Mini, Two Laptops, a Nook Color, iPod Touch, and iPad at any given time. We aren't people who like to watch netflix or stream movies over the internet, although when we watch videos occasionally they are normally the ones we own, so the router must be up to this kind of strain.

In sum, is the Asus worth more money for the project?
Thank you for helping!
Sponsor
WhyMe420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would go with the ASUS, simply for the fact that it has Broadcom hardware (versus Atheros in the TP-Link.)
Mechcondrid
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok i'm moving and cant take my networking equip with me (long story) so im looking at doing a whole new setup
what would the best router be, that can do gigabit, upnp at least decently, and has either duel band or 5ghz band?
my budget is upwards of $350 so im open to pretty much any suggestions. i have been looking at the asus line of gigabit routers but have seen that they can be fugly with upnp, i've been using till now a netgear wnr3000v2
for about 3 or 4 years so im a bit out of date with what brands are reliable and whats what really.

thanks for the help in advance.
joecop67
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote
deleted

Last edited by joecop67 on Wed Aug 29, 2012 23:12; edited 1 time in total
WhyMe420
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 0:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
Mechcondrid wrote:
ok i'm moving and cant take my networking equip with me (long story) so im looking at doing a whole new setup
what would the best router be, that can do gigabit, upnp at least decently, and has either duel band or 5ghz band?
my budget is upwards of $350 so im open to pretty much any suggestions. i have been looking at the asus line of gigabit routers but have seen that they can be fugly with upnp, i've been using till now a netgear wnr3000v2
for about 3 or 4 years so im a bit out of date with what brands are reliable and whats what really.

thanks for the help in advance.

Most (if not all) of the Asus problems with UPnP have been fixed with the latest builds.
jackscagnetti
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
didn't see this topic sorry! i must be blind.

I bought a NetGear RangeMax Duo Wireless-N Router WNDR3300 and set it up with dd-wrt firmware. Now i need a repeater bridge so i can get Wifi correct? Looking for something that has a good antenna and can find wifi from long distance hopefully.

if you suggest the WRT54G what version should i get.

I need to get something as soon as humanly possible. I saw some different series numbers for the WRT54G but not sure which is the preferred one or if it all. I am a total noob at this so any help would be much appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 3:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
jackscagnetti wrote:

if you suggest the WRT54G what version should i get.

A wrt54g-tm or a wrt54gl. The first is better. The second is easier to find.

I deleted a couple of posts below this one. People are simply not posting important information or asking such a general question that it really is impossible to recommend a specific router.

For the person who wrote that they want a router that can handle a lot of connections and high bandwidth....get a router that has a fast processor. There are many of them these days, and they have been discussed multiple times in this thread.

To the person on the boat who wants a router to connect a few devices to...any will do. You want 12v? Get one that is 12v. There are loads. You want USB? Check the supported router database for ones that support usb, but if you want a data capable router you need a k26 supported router. You failed to indicate how you would be connecting to the internet, which is critically important information. While you might not need distance to connect your clients, I suspect you need it for your WAN access.

I will say it once more: This thread already contains loads of useful information. Many of the posts that I have trimmed would not have been asked if the person had just read even the FIRST post in this thread.

While things are evolving and their are new routers/topics to discuss, posts that simply say: "I need a router for my internet with x,y and z devices" will simply be deleted. There is no way anyone can recommend a specific router for such vague ubiquitous requirements. Any dd-wrt capable router has about the same features. Basically every dd-wrt supported router can, for example be used to create a wireless bridge with another router. So asking which one to get to bridge is an impossible question - Any will do.

Vague unclear messages won't get answered and will be deleted after a few days, as will messages that clearly indicate that you have posted without reading the thread.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Alexhaden
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
Posted this in the atheros forum, but realized the router i was looking for doesn't have LAN ports, so here goes in here.

---------------------------

Ive read the rules and am terrified i get this wrong, but here goes.

I have just upgraded to Sky Fiber, and have one of their shiny new F@st routers.

Its replacing my trusty Wag320n (that i never had any problems with!)

There is one room in the house that seems impervious to WIFI, it always slows down to a crawl, less than 5 M away through 2 walls. Never been able to figure it out, but im putting it down to some kind of electrical interference, it works, just slowly.

I know i cannot re-use my old sky router or Wag320n as a bridge, so im looking to do the following:-

I need something to connect an xbox, PS3, WDTV and Skybox to, that will then bridge to my sky router. Only one gadget will be on at any one time though.
Im working on the presumption that the wireless signal can meet in the middle.

TP Link WA901ND
http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-WA901ND-Advanced-Wireless-Access/dp/B002YETVXC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1336579113&sr=8-8

Thats the one i was considering, but now noticing only one lan port....darn it!

Stop Press! MY mistake, this is the one!

TP-Link TL-WR1043ND Ultimate Wireless N Gigabit Router
gijosh28
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 22:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
I know I am going to get harassed for this, but I read all the posts. Some of it answered my questions, and some of it made me more confused. I read through the Supported Devices list, and there's a lot to read there and some of it is confusing.

So here's my story. I am returning a Linksys (Cisco) ea4500 to BestBuy today. It's junk. It reboots every couple minutes. My guess is from overheating. Some of the people on Newegg experienced the same problems. I updated the firmware last night and the problem persisted. I have a wired network throughout the house with 8 port gigabit switches tying it all together. But when guests visit they use the wireless, and all the tablets and netbooks in the house use wireless. Here's what I need/want:

1) Good range/High xmit power - My neighbors are close together and each one has his own wifi. Every 2.4Ghz channel (1-11) has a couple routers on it. So I assume, from what I've read in this thread, this would mean I need a unit with external antennas.

2) Stability - This ea4500 kept rebooting. I assume its because of the k26 chip I keep reading about, so I guess I need a k24 chip. When I search through the Supported Devices list I don't see "k24" anywhere. I do see v24. I am a little lost there. I am especially lost on the RT-N16 which says, "v24K26 sp2 - build 13297." Which is it v24 or k26?

3) Gigabit Ethernet - The whole house is gigabit Ethernet.

4) Processor power and ram - I use P2P over 60M Comcast cable internet. Everything I read says higher CPU and memory is better for P2P.

5) Price - I don't care about price. I mean within reason. I don't want anything that is $1000 and rack mountable, but I don't mind spending money for a good product.

So, in summary, I want unit that has an external antenna for range, a K24 processor for stability, at least 4 gigabit Ethernet ports, fast processor and lots of memory for P2P, and I am willing to spend a little more money for a quality product. Can someone recommend "the best" wireless router for me. If this is too vague please let me know what other information you need to help me find a solution.

Thanks,
Josh
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:31    Post subject: Reply with quote
gijosh28 wrote:
a K24 processor for stability, at least 4 gigabit Ethernet ports, fast processor and lots of memory for P2P,

I think you are asking for everything, when it doesn't exist. To get a fast processor, you will need a newer router. To get k24 support, you will need an older router. I suggest you don't worry TOO much about stability from the k24 as I can't think of a router that has both k24 and fast processors/memory. An Rt-N16 with proper builds is good/stable. E3000 with 15962 is also stable.

To understand builds, k24, k26 how to determine which etc, read the peacock announcement at the start of the general forum. Bring a snack.....

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
BlueChippy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 10:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
I'm looking for a router to replace my WRT54GL. This is JUST for a VPN client and no other purpose.

Our house is reasonably large (and had lots of metal pining in the walls) and therefore I need a good signal strength.

The 54GL is pretty decent, but the CPU is too slow and the VPN client performance is pretty poor (1.2mbps max on a 4mbps link)

I've read the start of this thread so looking for a K24 build Broadcom based router with external antennae and a fast CPU.

Price (of course) matters, but I'd be interested in knowing recommendations in the "cheap/medium/millionaire" brackets!
Problem is, other than the Linksys tables on the wiki, nothing else lists if it has int/ext antannae!
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 12:51    Post subject: Reply with quote
BlueChippy wrote:
I've read the start of this thread so looking for a K24 build Broadcom based router with external antennae and a fast CPU.

Perhaps you should also read the end of the thread....including the post immediately above yours.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

BlueChippy
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 4:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
Perhaps you should also read the end of the thread....including the post immediately above yours.

Touche!
Will read more carefully next time. Asus RT-N16 for me.
k01
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 18:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
hey guys what do you think about buffalo's WHR-G300NV2 for general home use. i want a stable wi-fi and wired connection. ofcourse, the wifi should have a decent range (through my flat, so a few concrete walls and ~20 meters of travel in general)
LostChild1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi guys,

My WRT300N just crapped out on me so I was reading around and it seems like the RT-N16 will be the next router I buy.

My only question would be to find out if I were at a disadvantage to not get a router that has dual band N? The devices in my house include a Lenovo T420, a PS3, iPhone, another computer with a stock wireless card, aaaaand... that's it.

Thoughts?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 26, 27, 28  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 14 of 28
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> General Questions All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: