repeating WPA2 with WRT54G ver.6 *SOLVED*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2  Next

"I have a WRT54G ver.6 trying to run WPA2 as a repeater"
I'm using your setup successfully
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm having your same problem and compromising security for functionality
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I figured this out already....here's what ya do
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I need to read the Broadcom forum announcements better?
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:14    Post subject: repeating WPA2 with WRT54G ver.6 *SOLVED* Reply with quote
Ok guys. I just posted my first problem this afternoon and ended up solving it myself (duh) by reading. HOWEVER I have read and read and read and searched and read and tried EVERYTHING and I canNOT get this working.

I simply cannot connect to the AP with WPA2 Personal enabled. I even went back and removed the virtual interface, and tried to connect as a client while wired. I can do just FINE with no security, but nobody wants that. I am running a micro build of 14929 on a WRT54G ver.6 trying to repeat from a WRT120N if that matters.

I have tried both AES and TKIP auths. I know there are people running the same build NUMBER on different sizes (mini, std.......) and different versions of this model with success in what I am trying to do, but seriously what am I missing.... I have followed the wiki on linking routers and spent hours upon hours searching this forum for similar problems. I have done everything imaginable. Again, if I turn off security, everything works great. Please guys. Have mercy on me. I have put in a ton of work to get this going. What can i do??

Last edited by apersononearth on Thu May 10, 2012 6:58; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok so I just spent the last 3 hours reading everything again, and trying everything again, and I still do not have a successful bridge to the host AP with WPA2 Personal AES.

I am back to v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro - build 12548M NEWD Eko and I have now meticulously followed step-by-step setups in both the wiki and the peacock thread, and even combined the two (and yes, there are subtle differences). Everything APPEARS to function, but I am unable to connect. When I join the network it even says I'm successfully joined as a client, but no-go. My WAN IP is quad 0s. On the WRT54G, when it has a successful internet connection, the "Cisco Systems" logo lights up, and I have yet to make that happen with security on. I may have my moments from time to time, but come on. The host AP is running stock firmware and I don't see a place to view the connection.

Let's step it up a notch. If I run airodump-ng on my host AP bssid and channel, I get a pretty constant flow of activity. When I power cycle the router, upon boot, it shows up as a station under the "repeater" MAC address. Not long after, I get a handshake, and it actually sends a few bits of data. It stays connected for around a minute and then disappears until the next power cycle. Never does it have internet access. Never can I ping 192.168.1.x I'm assuming this means it isn't getting an IP address from the host.

So back to basics, if it's listed in the peacock or wiki as repeater issues/setup, I've done it. What are even possibilities?? Again. I am using a Linksys WRT54G version 6 now running v24-sp2 (07/22/09) micro - build 12548M NEWD Eko because I had issues repeating with 14929 and peacock said to downgrade. I'm happy to put in my fair share of work, but at this point, what direction do I even look in??

Thank you in advance. I know you guys have seen millions of doofs come through here wanting personal assistance. Thank you for your patience and at least the consideration to read.

A Person On Earth
buddee
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 0:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
In my sig there is a link called 'linking routers' click it and follow the guide(s) of what you want to do.

Having problems with port forwarding? Check out Port Forward Troubleshooting for more info.
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 0:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thank you for the point in the direction, but I have been on that page, clicked "Repeater" and followed step-by-step-by-step every single part and then double and triple-checked everything mentioned in the footnotes. With that said, any other strange things that have EVER caused an issue with this router specifically? I presume the builds are the same as far as THIS part goes, and only changed to work with components/bootloaders and such, but that's why I was asking if anyone had successfully done this with an identical router and what they did exactly.

HOWEVER... I'm not sure on how the MAC addresses are distributed on dd-wrt vs stock, but the LAN MAC ends in E3...which is what is on the bottom of the router. E5 is what shows up connecting to the host. ..... Maybe that has nothing to do with anything, but there it is.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 0:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
apersononearth wrote:
When I join the network it even says I'm successfully joined as a client,

And when you follow the instructions buddee linked, you should find that no where does it say to "join" a network...

When you do it right, it will work. Make sure your primary router is set to wpa2-aes. Try the instructions for client bridge to test your setup. They are more precise.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 2:14    Post subject: Reply with quote
The peacock thread seems to have your avitar and username associated, and I quote from Note 15 section b....

".......Status, wireless site survey. Join SSID. Apply......" After which it says "successfully joined network as client"

Either way as I stated previously, I followed seperately both the peacock thread AND the wiki seperated by hard resets, and when neither worked, I combined them. The only minor detail i can think of is that the host is set to TKIP "OR" AES but every other device I own can connect strictly by AES. I will try and see if that makes a difference and if not, I will follow your suggestion.

Thanks again, and I will post an update tomorrow if not tonight.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 12:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
Murrkf wrote:
And when you follow the instructions buddee linked,

The peacock also says, in bold, that those are quick and dirty instructions to show the basic differences between the various modes for bridging, and not to be a substitute for following the proper instructions in the wiki, which is what Buddee linked. Combining two sets of instructions is not prudent.

It also says you need to use WPA2-AES ONLY. Not TKIP. Not Mixed TKIP and AES. WPA2-AES ONLY.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
Mangix
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
also make sure you use Personal instead of Personal Mixed which does not work.
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote
Firstly, yes I know they are not to be substituted, but after I followed the wiki a few times with no success, I figured hey, why not? Security has been set on the dd-wrt router at WPA2 Personal all along, but thank you for the advice. Authentication has been set to AES only on dd-wrt all along as well, and so far as the host AP just to be clear, it is TKIP "OR" AES... as in it will shake hands with a device using either. Just to confirm, I made the change to AES only and it did not work. I changed to G-only and it did not work.

Now, what DID work is client bridge. Instantly, upon setup. As a matter of fact, I'm plugged into my dd-wrt router right now posting this through client bridge. I don't really wanna carry the router with me. USB is easier and I don't have to have a power supply, but I'm just happy to see that the two will link. Exclamation They had not one single issue or hesitation with everything exactly the same on the AP as it has been for a very long time now.

I kinda took some steps backwards to see what would work, and it didn't take very long to break my connection. I changed the mode to "Repeater" and the CiscoSystems logo lit up like it's supposed to! Shocked and.....then as expected, I was no longer connected to the internet. So to try and restore it, I changed settings slowly back to as they should be as a repeater and no success..... Once again, hard reset, follow wiki for repeater setup and same scenario. I'm gonna try repeater-bridge, but I kinda enjoyed having the seperate subnet just for the random occasion where an aquaintence wanted to log on.

I'll be back....
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 23:37    Post subject: Reply with quote
Well that also works flawlessly. NOW do you believe me when I say there is an issue with my repeater-ness? I suppose if I must, I can live with the Repeater-bridge.... At least it boosts and re-broadcasts the signal with WPA2-AES. It is gonna bug me for years however as to why the other function does not work properly. .... Plus I kinda miss the CiscoSystems light Sad

No other ideas anyone? Willing to try...
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 3:04    Post subject: Reply with quote
What lan IP are you using for each device?
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 18:52    Post subject: Reply with quote
Let us see some screen shots.

Setup>>Basic
Wireless>>Basic
Wireless>>Security
Wireless>>Advanced
Security>>Firewall

Also...what is the SSID of the host AP and the router IP of the host AP.

I should be able to point you in the right direction.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
One quick thought.

Your Host AP...if its set to Mixed mode (b,g,n) then you need to set the repeater to Mixed mode as well. (b,g)...just make sure your host isn't in n-only mode...you'll never connect a 54G to it in that case.

redhawk

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Ok, first I'd like to say I appreciate your help, and that I can understand the initial reaction.... SO, I'm posting the status of the host AP and then following up with the shots requested. The host SSID as you can see is linksys, and the IP is 192.168.1.1 I had it set up on repeater-bridge mode when I read the post, so I did a hard 30/30/30 reset and followed the wiki instructions "linking routers->repeater" exactly. Same results, nothing. I WAS attempting 192.168.2.1 on the repeater but as you will see in the shots, I changed it to 3.1 and still nothing. At this point I'm up for just about anything. Here goes, thanks in advance. I'm hoping to see my Cisco Systems logo lit up soon!

host-status.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  85.09 KB
 Viewed:  12670 Time(s)

host-status.jpg

basicsetup1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  173.67 KB

basicsetup1.jpg

basicsetup2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  66.96 KB

basicsetup2.jpg

Last edited by apersononearth on Wed May 09, 2012 23:12; edited 1 time in total
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote
second part

wirelessbasic.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  169.17 KB
 Viewed:  12668 Time(s)

wirelessbasic.jpg

wirelesssecurity.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  135.77 KB

wirelesssecurity.jpg

wirelessadvanced1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  165.71 KB

wirelessadvanced1.jpg

Goto page 1, 2  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: