repeating WPA2 with WRT54G ver.6 *SOLVED*

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2

"I have a WRT54G ver.6 trying to run WPA2 as a repeater"
I'm using your setup successfully
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I'm having your same problem and compromising security for functionality
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I figured this out already....here's what ya do
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
I need to read the Broadcom forum announcements better?
100%
 100%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 2

apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 23:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
annnnnnd the final

wirelessadvanced2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  114.95 KB
 Viewed:  2587 Time(s)

wirelessadvanced2.jpg

securityfirewall.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.97 KB
 Viewed:  2587 Time(s)

securityfirewall.jpg

Sponsor
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
and just as footnotes, these routers will link AS A REPEATER without security and will link as client-bridge and repeater-bridge WITH WPA2 Personal AES with no settings changed on the host.
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 0:10    Post subject: Reply with quote
Try setting a gateway of your primary router on the dd-wrt router, and make sure that your primary is wpa2-aes ONLY. Then you could also try different forms of security, such as wpa-tkip etc. and see if any of those match up. Sometimes people have had success with other security, but I have never found it to be reliable.
LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
apersononearth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
ok. Sure is a picky little thing. As I mentioned previously, I had tried setting the host to AES only, simply to be able to say I had tried and when it didn't work, went back to "or". As I had NOT mentioned, I had also tried setting the gateway.

.......HOWEVER!!! haha, it never crossed my mind to do both simultaneously. I just set the host to AES only AND set the gateway on dd-wrt and bling! there goes the connection. I'm on it now. I am willing to openly admit where my assumptions were wrong, and even though it makes no logical sense, it worked. I'm still classifying this as a bug in my book, but with a workaround.

Again, for those in the future finding this post through search, I tried these steps individually and they did NOT work............ I tried them together and poof! Magic. Thanks again guys. I'm off to play with my router. I wish I had a few more laying around to mess with and learn from, but the closest I've come is to flashing 2 of my friends' routers.
Goto page Previous  1, 2 Display posts from previous:    Page 2 of 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: