GURU's Netgear wndr 3400 update - test build page 7

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
S1N3d dW17
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:59    Post subject: JFFS on WNDR3400 Reply with quote
Installed DD-WRT following the same process as Paincho above me, now running 17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k. Most things seem to be working great so far, except that I can't get JFFS properly mounted/formatted. Has anybody been able to get JFFS working on this router?

Forgive me if this has been mentioned before, but I tried searching and found nothing.
Sponsor
ERamseth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote
deafcheer wrote:
ERamseth wrote:

Are both routers the WNDR3400?

My roommate's router is probably Verizon but don't know exact type of router. I'll have to ask him.

Mine is WNDR3400 v2 router.

As far as I know, dd-wrt cannot run on the WNDR3400 v2
ERamseth
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:56    Post subject: LED colors Reply with quote
Does anyone know what the default LED colors mean for the port number LEDs?

I find that my port #1 seems to always show up yellow. Not exactly sure how to check if that means less than a full speed connection or half duplex or anything like that...
InstigatorX
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 18:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
Anyone able to get non-CHK builds working for build 18946? I've got the CHK build up and running, but can't upgrade to anything else. Tried from command line with -64K builds and get bad trx message.
tehNickSays
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 2:12    Post subject: Reply with quote
InstigatorX wrote:
Anyone able to get non-CHK builds working for build 18946? I've got the CHK build up and running, but can't upgrade to anything else. Tried from command line with -64K builds and get bad trx message.

I was able to get the .chk installed ok and even upgraded to the big.bin build. However, after attempting to load the mega.bin, I now have a bricked router.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:16    Post subject: Reply with quote
tehNickSays wrote:
InstigatorX wrote:

I was able to get the .chk installed ok and even upgraded to the big.bin build. However, after attempting to load the mega.bin, I now have a bricked router.

You may be able to recover that without serial.. I had a WNDR3500 and it had a web CFE loader which allowed me to flash a new bin.

I accessed it by holding in the reset button until the power led started flashing then access'd the router router on 192.168.1.1 with a web browser and the only option you have is to load a .trx file. If you do get this far load stock netgear firmware then reload dd-wrt after that.

-Fractal
tehNickSays
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
tehNickSays wrote:
InstigatorX wrote:

You may be able to recover that without serial.. I had a WNDR3500 and it had a web CFE loader which allowed me to flash a new bin.

I accessed it by holding in the reset button until the power led started flashing then access'd the router router on 192.168.1.1 with a web browser and the only option you have is to load a .trx file. If you do get this far load stock netgear firmware then reload dd-wrt after that.

-Fractal

wish i could say this worked, but after holding the reset button for 15 minutes, the power light never changed. the suggestion is appreciated though.
Fractal
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 5:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
I assume you have tried the setting the p.c. to 192.168.1.5 and running a ping flood to the router. Once apply power and u get 1st successful ping tftp up stock firmware?

If that doesn't work I am pretty sure this can be serial'd. I serial'd my WNDR4500 in under 5 minutes, the pins are nicely centered on the board.

-Fractal
tehNickSays
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 6:19    Post subject: Reply with quote
Fractal wrote:
I assume you have tried the setting the p.c. to 192.168.1.5 and running a ping flood to the router. Once apply power and u get 1st successful ping tftp up stock firmware?

If that doesn't work I am pretty sure this can be serial'd. I serial'd my WNDR4500 in under 5 minutes, the pins are nicely centered on the board.

-Fractal

yup. either my timing is horribly bad or i'm more of a newb than my post count suggests.

not sure i'm ready for soldering. i wonder if Netgear will allow me to RMA?
SyberT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:06    Post subject: Serial cable hookup? Reply with quote
Anybody actually mod there WNDR3400v1 to be able to have a usb-serial cable hookup? If so, what did you do? I have an old FTI TTL-232R-3V3 laying around from a previous router that I can use for this one. Just want to have the ability to revive the thing just in case something goes wrong when trying to flash dd-wrt to this thing for the first time and for anything else that could happen in the future.
Latharion
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:30    Post subject: Re: Serial cable hookup? Reply with quote
SyberT wrote:
Anybody actually mod there WNDR3400v1 to be able to have a usb-serial cable hookup? If so, what did you do? I have an old FTI TTL-232R-3V3 laying around from a previous router that I can use for this one. Just want to have the ability to revive the thing just in case something goes wrong when trying to flash dd-wrt to this thing for the first time and for anything else that could happen in the future.

Here is a link to a site that has the pinouts and location of the JTAG header.

http://www.techinfodepot.info/index.php/Netgear_WNDR3400_1.0#JTAG.2FSerial_Info

This is for the WNDR3400 v1.
bootlooper
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 19:01    Post subject: bricked wndr3400 Reply with quote
About a month ago I thought I had bricked my WNDR3400. I had successfully flashed the DD-WRT firmware and went to upgrade to BrainSlayer 18777 big build. Ended up with non-bootable router for 2 days. On boot up got only 5 pings then an error message (maybe host unreachable, I cant remember). The restore cd that came with the router was unable to restore the original firmware. I finally ended up doing a last resort pin short during the 5 working pings. Pin shorting before the pings were active did not work. The pin short had to be done during the 5 pings. When looking at the chip where the writing was properly oriented i.e. not upside down, I think the 2 pins to short were the ones in the upper left corner, but again has been a while back. I was unable to tftp back in but the netgear recovery cd worked to restore to factory. Thinking I had a bad flash or download, I redownloaded the firmware and reflashed with the same result and same resolution. I am now on Brainslayer 18777 mega with no problems. Is it proper the dd-wrt download database points to brainslayer builds instead of eko builds?
tehNickSays
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 0:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
Followed this guide and was able to recover my router.
SyberT
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 23:55    Post subject: Re: Serial cable hookup? Reply with quote
SyberT wrote:

Thanks to those who helped. My WNDR3400v1 now is happily running Eko 18946M build. Very Happy That old usb-serial cable came in handy too.

Last edited by SyberT on Sat May 19, 2012 3:00; edited 2 times in total
DarrylLicke
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 4:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Paincho wrote:
So I went ahead and put DD-WRT on my 3400v1 and had great success, I followed the install/upgrade path that most people seemed to be doing here. I installed the custom firmware for the 3400 that was posted in this forum, dd-wrt.v24-17567_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-WNDR3400 and then upgraded via the GUI to dd-wrt.v24-17990_NEWD-2_K2.6_mega-nv64k.bin with no issues. So far it's been running great. I was starting to have issues with the Netgear firmware before I went to DD-WRT, where the 5Ghz radio would drop off every couple of days and I would have to reboot the router, these have gone away so far with dd-wrt. One thing I did notice that doesn't work is the big blue LED lights inside of the plastic circle on the top, that blinked for various LAN/WAN traffic. Honestly, those lights were so damn bright I used to put something over it so it didn't light up the whole room at night, so it's actually a nice thing that they don't work. But I thought I would mention it for completionist sake, ideally it would be nice to have something that you can turn on and off with the web gui.

Thanks Eko for putting this all together!!

First off let me reiterate the thanks for Eko. I had this notion that this would be possible long before I was even referred to dd-wrt. And low and behold I got a compatible router off woot.

That said I'm competant (SE for my day job) but still woefully ignorant i.e. I'm getting lost on the file names.

So I'll be documenting my progress here as I follow a similar approach to Paincho above.

And in case people are wondering if you have a v1 or v2, I figured it out by logging into the router via the stock gui and checking the Router Status. Looks like under firmware version I've got V1.0.0.34_15.0.42.

The end goal, and this is where I can use some help determing which version to use, is to get a client bridged router that will down the road act as an independent secondary i.e. media will be served from the internal-only secondary. I think this is called a Repeater Bridge. But it may be a client bridge. (see...ignorant). In any case I'll need a version that does both.

Also, why no version 18946? Sure I can update later and stick with 17990 (ftp://ftp.dd-wrt.com/others/eko/V24-K26/) but then this is a K2.6 version that bricks devices....right?

ugh. help.

5/11/10: Worry no more. Bored at work I googled and found this page http://cyberpunx.com/2011/11/installing-dd-wrt-on-netgear-wndr3400-n600. I just finished that and everything appears to be working fine. I've yet to set up my client bridge however.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20 ... 22, 23, 24  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 19 of 24
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: