Cannot get Wireless-N speeds, What am I doing wrong?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 10:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've been looking into setting up Wireless N, but I'm finding it very confusing. This thread and the Wireless-N Configuration wiki page have gone some way to clearing things up for me, but Wikipedia's own 40 MHz in 2.4 GHz table adds to the confusion. If you look at it compared to the one on the DD-WRT wiki page the data layout is the same, but where you refer to lower they refer to above and where you refer to upper they refer to below. I think I just need to play around with the router settings to see if it makes more sense in practice.
Sponsor
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed Sep 01, 2010 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote
Wikipedia's table is just formatted differently. On Wikipedia the table shows the main channel (20MHz) and then what channel is used when the 40MHz auxiliary channel is above or below the main channel. DD-WRT's "upper" and "lower" reflect whether the main control channel is in the upper or lower 20MHz. If the CC is in the lower 20MHz, then the AC is above it. If the CC is in the upper 20MHz, then the AC is below it.
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 0:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
I've got an Xbox 360 S and Windows 7 netbook that are both N compatible, so I've recently been playing around with N settings on my D-Link DIR-615 and was wondering what information I should see in the device's wireless adapter's properties if I was successfully connected at N in the 2.4 GHz spectrum via DD-WRT. If for example I use Channel 11 upper, what channel should the adapter report when N: 11, 9 or 7? If 11 regardless, how else can I double check it's N?

I'm still trying to get my head around 2.4 GHz N.
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:49    Post subject: Reply with quote
If the link rate is above 54mbps then it's using N spec. The exact link rate you get with N spec will depend on your hardware's capabilities, settings, and signal whereas previous specs it was just based on signal. For instance the link rate will be multiplied by however many MIMO streams both devices support, and a 40MHz channel roughly doubles the theoretical maximum for the link rate.
mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks. The 360 doesn't report a link speed, so I was hoping there was another way to check that device.

Even when connected at N, will it always display the channel selected in the GUI?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2010 8:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Look on the router's wireless status page with no other clients connected then.

For a 20MHz channel it will always be the same, for 40MHz channels there's many different ways of conveying the channels used.

mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
I switched back to 20 MHz, after the channels in my area were getting congested, and when I look at the Wireless Status page the 360 S connects at 65.0 / 72.0 while the G only devices are no more than 54.00 / 54.00 (these are the same results when using 40 MHz).

How come the 360 is connecting faster than G when N is disabled on the router or am I reading this all wrong?
phuzi0n
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote
mjpartyboy wrote:
I switched back to 20 MHz, after the channels in my area were getting congested, and when I look at the Wireless Status page the 360 S connects at 65.0 / 72.0 while the G only devices are no more than 54.00 / 54.00 (these are the same results when using 40 MHz).

How come the 360 is connecting faster than G when N is disabled on the router or am I reading this all wrong?

N spec works with either channel width. If for some reason you want to disable N spec you will have to change the mode to one that does not include N spec.

mjpartyboy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2011 17:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
phuzi0n wrote:
N spec works with either channel width. If for some reason you want to disable N spec you will have to change the mode to one that does not include N spec.

After thinking about it some more I thought it was something like that.

How can I get the 360 S to connect faster than 72.0 / 72.0 using 40 MHz based on the networks in my area in the attached image (I'm Spartan-117)?
AZERTY123
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:22    Post subject: Reply with quote
Hi phuzi0n
Does it effectively mean it is NOT a good idea to use 40MHz for a wireless repeater as both the routers would clash/clutter more?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 Display posts from previous:    Page 3 of 3
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: