Solved: A question about setting up a Wlan repeater

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
emwmike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Solved: A question about setting up a Wlan repeater Reply with quote
Hi all,

This is my first post here so I hope you go easy on me Wink

The thing is that I have a big apartment and I have been using WRT54 with DD-WRT a couple of years.
With all streaming and iphones etc at home I needed more througput, so I bought a Netgear N600 WNDR3400 and placed it in the livingroom. I like it a lot but when I am in the bedroom the signal is very poor (unlike my old friend WRT54 that had a good coverege all rooms)

So I thought if I couldnt somehow use my old friend as a repeater in the bedroom area.
I followed the following guides with OK result.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Wlan_Repeater
http://www.skifactz.com/wifi/wrt54g_repeater2.htm

The thing that bothers me is that I thought that it should enhance the signal somehow without have to switch WLAN connection. But when I stream movies in the livingroom with my laptop,connected to "N600Wlan" which is the N600 router. If I then go to the bedroom the signal drops on that connection and I have to manually change wlan connection to "Repeatme_WRT54"

The question then Smile
Is it possible to set up so I always are connected to N600 wlan connection, because I don´t want to switch every single time I move around in the apartment with my iphone. I just want WRt54 to boost the signal??

BR Mike

Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (08/12/10) mini
Build: 14929

Last edited by emwmike on Thu May 17, 2012 13:40; edited 1 time in total
Sponsor
Murrkf
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 2:53    Post subject: Re: RB Reply with quote
rizla7 wrote:
on a repeater you don't need a virtual interface or a different SSID, because wireless clients connect to the MAC of the AP/repeater, not it's SSID :\ SSID is only for ident purposes.

This is not true.

OP: Set the router to a distinct ssid and use that to connect to. Delete any other profile and that ssid will be the one used by your client.

LOM: "If you show that you have not bothered to read the forum announcements or to follow the advices in them then the level of help available for you will drop substantially, also known as Murrkf's law.."
emwmike
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
rizla7 wrote:
from my experience it's true. a client will send a request for the SSID, the closest AP will respond, and client connects using the AP MAC address..

as for requiring a separate SSID, ive done it on stock linksys before, no other SSID required, clients can roam the WLAN.

then again, this was a long time ago. anyways, the first part is true about the MAC.

as described here, they used the same SSID. ofcourse, this is just a random link.

http://www6.nohold.net/Cisco2/ukp.aspx?pid=80&vw=1&articleid=4200

also: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_802.11#Frames

802.11 frames use MAC header to switch traffic.

also: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/12.2_15_JA/configuration/guide/s15rep.html

http://www.mhprofessional.com/downloads/products/0071701524/0071701524_chap02.pdf

but yea, if you want to connect to a specific AP, then setup a virtual interface and connect to that only.

although its weird that roaming doesn't work, it should switch to the other AP. in fact it doesn't really switch APs, its just the closest AP that responds first, and the client accepts the packet then sends traffic.

possibly if the distance isn't that great, and the living room router has a faster cpu, it might explain it. have you tried moving out of the range of the main router but still in range of the repeater to see if itll switch?

Thank you Murrkf and rizla7 for your answers.

I've yet only tried the tip about removing the virtual interface, didn´t work at all.

However as you both said, it should work with a virtual interface.....maybe the new router is to fast as stated above? Will give it a new try with moving the router around the apartment.
redhawk0
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
If you want seamless handoff...you need to use WDS mode....not Repeater mode.

You will then have the same SSID name on both units.

FYI....WDS mode is MAC connected....Repeater modes is SSID connected...so using the same SSID on your Virtual and Physical confuses the Repeater....but not on the WDS.

Of course...the absolute best way to do this would be run a cable and have the second router setup as an AP with same SSID and different channel...you won't get the 50% Bandwidth loss that way.

redhawk

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote
redhawk0 wrote:
If you want seamless handoff...you need to use WDS mode....not Repeater mode.

You will then have the same SSID name on both units.

FYI....WDS mode is MAC connected....Repeater modes is SSID connected...so using the same SSID on your Virtual and Physical confuses the Repeater....but not on the WDS.

Of course...the absolute best way to do this would be run a cable and have the second router setup as an AP with same SSID and different channel...you won't get the 50% Bandwidth loss that way.

redhawk

Thx guys!

Now it´s solved, but not as a repeater. Chosed to try on the tip from Redhawk. Connecting them through MAC adresses instead of SSID.

Gateway router N600 stock firmware
just entered the w-lan repeating settings and set it to be a "base station" then entered the Wlan MAC adress of the AP router.
Reboot

AP router WRT54G DD-WRT
Basic setting as router, disabled DHCP, entered an IP adress that would fit the subnet of Gateway router,
Wireless settings as AP and the same WLAN settings as the my gateway router (channel WEP and key) but on chossed a new SSID (chosed not to broadcast SSID since it was only enoying). In WDS meny i pulled the dropdown list from disabled to LAN and entered my gateway routers Wlan MAC adress.
Reboot

Now perfect signal strenght in all rooms Smile

Thanks a lot all, I learned myself many new things.

BR Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: