Uploading to Google Drive causing very high latency

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
marcusmv3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:21    Post subject: Uploading to Google Drive causing very high latency Reply with quote
Finally found the true source of my frustration with high latency issues - my roommate has been in the process of uploading over 300GB of data to his new Google Drive account for the past week or so! I checked in the Google Drive's program settings but could not find any way to limit the traffic or set the port, everything was very basic, no advanced settings at all.

I did find this document on the ports that Google Drive uses - http://support.google.com/drive/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=2589954 - apparently ports 443 and 5222, but the protocols - HTTPS and XMPP, respectively - are not ones that I know how to limit in DD-WRT. I have tried using QoS to limit the traffic on TCP/UDP for those two ports to "Bulk" as well as setting his computer's MAC address to a "Bulk" priority. Neither of these QoS limits seemed to have any effect on my ping times while he was uploading to Google Drive. In fact, even after I pause his Google Drive connection, my latency does not improve until after I power cycle my router as well. I don't want to use QoS anyway because that entirely screws over the connection to any wireless device, for whatever reason.

For reference I am using a WRT350-N with build 14929. Any help with improving my latency while Google Drive is uploading would be greatly appreciated (any way to avoid pausing the program and power cycling manually, at least, when I want to play Call of Duty or have a decent connection), thank you in advance.
Sponsor
marcusmv3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 0:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Any help guys? I mean the kind of latency jump I'm experiencing is abnormal, my normal pings to 8.8.8.8 are under 20ms and when Google Drive is uploading they shoot up to anywhere from 400-1200ms.
bmupton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 14:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
marcusmv3 wrote:
Any help guys? I mean the kind of latency jump I'm experiencing is abnormal, my normal pings to 8.8.8.8 are under 20ms and when Google Drive is uploading they shoot up to anywhere from 400-1200ms.

I have the EXACT same issue when uploading to Google Music. It's most definitely not a dd-wrt issue though, as it also happens when I connect directly to my ISP supplied equipment as well.

You could try to do QoS on the MAC that's doing the uploading, but I'm not sure that would help at all.
marcusmv3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote
I tried QoS, it did nothing to improve my latency and only further hampered my network by reducing the download/upload capacity to/from wireless devices. I understand this issue is not dd-wrt's fault but I find it hard to believe there's no setting that can limit the upload.
slobodan
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 23:06    Post subject: Reply with quote
Why don't you use OpenDNS instead of Google DNS?

2 times RT-AC56U running DD-WRT 45493 (one as Gateway, the other as AP, both bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Asus RT-N16 shelved

E4200 V1 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

3 times Linksys WRT610N V2 converted to E3000 and 1 original E3000 running freshtomato 2020.8 (bridged with LAN cable)

marcusmv3
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote
slobodan wrote:
Why don't you use OpenDNS instead of Google DNS?
Well I did a test using that website that tests your latency to known national/regional DNS servers (can't remember what it's called now) and it found that my average latency to Google's DNS is better than that of OpenDNS, it's even better than my own ISP's DNS servers (Roadrunner). I don't see how that's relevant here, though. I test my latency to 8.8.8.8 only because I know it prioritizes pings the same as it does other traffic - when Google Drive is uploading my pings to ANY server are horrible.
LOM
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:28    Post subject: Reply with quote
I don't think you can do much about it more than waiting for Google to realise that they have to make a client with user configurable max speed setting.

The current client is aggressive and will push upload data into the router at LAN (Gbit for WRT350N) speed while the router can't get rid of it at the same speed on WAN. It will get buffered in the router and all your ram will be consumed until the router tells the client that it can't take more (all ram used).

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 3:44    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
The current client is aggressive and will push upload data into the router at LAN (Gbit for WRT350N) speed while the router can't get rid of it at the same speed on WAN. It will get buffered in the router and all your ram will be consumed until the router tells the client that it can't take more (all ram used).
Wow, what a stupid way to upload data. OK, thanks for the info, now that I understand I will have to give Google some feedback on this.
bmupton
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 16:41    Post subject: Reply with quote
LOM wrote:
I don't think you can do much about it more than waiting for Google to realise that they have to make a client with user configurable max speed setting.

The Google Music App *has* speed settings, and even setting them ridiculously slow still has the same effect for me. It's so bad I can't watch Netflix while uploading to my Google Music account. (Luckily my main upload is done now, so it only uploads a few tracks now and then).

Annoying though.

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a version of dd-wrt that can do per-user bandwidth control? I seem to recall reading about it. Maybe a paid version of some kind.

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: