Wifi as Wan

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
gleep52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 19:53    Post subject: Wifi as Wan Reply with quote
Can anyone give some step by step directions on how to setup DD-WRT to use my hotspot as the WAN connection? (Or point me to a good guide?) I have the Buffalo WHR-HP-G300N router. I currently don't have anything connected to the WAN port - just use it as an AP currently... I'd like to still use it as a AP and a backup connection to the internet when my cable provider sucks. Smile

Thanks in advance!
Sponsor
slybunda
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
not sure you understand what your saying here. why not just run an access point for clients to connect to and use wan?
gleep52
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote
I need my wired PCs to get access to my hotspot. I want to use the router to simulate the WAN port as my hotspot, allowing all my PCs (wired and wireless) to use the hotspot's internet connection.

Will DD-WRT do this?
digitaltuner
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know if it's appropriated. I suggest you to use OpenWrt. Follow this link, https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=26734, to set up USB tethering for android. If your router doesn't have a USB port, you can add a wireless client to your router with network set to WAN and connect the client to your android phone which is set as a wireless hotspot. Found a link, https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=31669, to describe the setup roughly.

Edit: Searched your router and found that your router is only supported in the trunk version. My setup for the stable version is fine but the WDS of my setup is not reliable for the trunk version. If you are adventurous enough, you may try the trunk version of Openwrt.
Detection
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
Not really sure what you are trying to achieve, sounds like you want your network to act as the internet ? Honeytrap ?

Anyhow, is this the sort of thing you need ?

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote
Don't know about the situation in UK. I am in Australia. The wired internet is not so reliable here (maybe due to underground wires not properly maintained). I once had my internet down for a few days. Setting up a mobile phone as a hotspot is a good contingency. The ISPs here also impose a quota system. I sometimes use the left over 3G data to cover the remaining time before rolling over.

By the way, I am not familiar with android, but I think an android phone alone can be set as a honey trap. The image of a scammer uses a wired PC to entice victims in public is funny.
Detection
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote
I think I understand what you mean, you want to connect all your wired and wireless machines to the DD-WRT router > then the DD-WRT router connect to the hotspot and provide all the machines with interwebz.

What is your hotspot ? What is it running on ?

If you are using say a phone broadcasting the net via ADHOC wireless then I don't think you can ask the DD-WRT router to connect to that, then route it to the other machines.

If you are using another PC/Laptop connected to a 3G dongle or similar, then turning on ICS on that machine, then connecting it to a LAN port on the DD-WRT router in AP mode, should route the net to the rest of the machines

If you had a USB port on the DD_WRT router you could have connected the 3G dongle to that

DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 23:13    Post subject: Reply with quote
Yes, what you mentioned is kinda the setup I use from time to time. However, I don't use Ad Hoc connection. I prefer to use a "virtual" client mode which uses WPA2-PSK encryption.

I know that it's not wise to ask DD-WRT to implement this feature. That's why I suggested using Openwrt. However, I guess (but I am not sure) that this feature of Openwrt is implemented by the virtual wifi technology developed by Microsoft. It seems the information on virtual wifi was open by Microsoft. If my guess is true, I see no reason why DD-WRT not implement this useful feature. For my setup, I have two routers connected using WDS. A virtual access point is added to each router. The wireless coverage is then extended throughout my premises.

If you really want to know, my hotspot is an android phone. I also suggested connecting the hotspot to the router using USB. The problem is OP's router doesn't have an USB port.

ICS is a viable work around. I used ICS to provide internet for two PCs for a few years before domestic routers were common. I just hate to use ICS any more after having routers. Thanks for suggesting the alternative though.
Detection
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote
digitaltuner wrote:
Yes, what you mentioned is kinda the setup I use from time to time. However, I don't use Ad Hoc connection. I prefer to use a "virtual" client mode which uses WPA2-PSK encryption.

I know that it's not wise to ask DD-WRT to implement this feature. That's why I suggested using Openwrt. However, I guess (but I am not sure) that this feature of Openwrt is implemented by the virtual wifi technology developed by Microsoft. It seems the information on virtual wifi was open by Microsoft. If my guess is true, I see no reason why DD-WRT not implement this useful feature. For my setup, I have two routers connected using WDS. A virtual access point is added to each router. The wireless coverage is then extended throughout my premises.

If you really want to know, my hotspot is an android phone. I also suggested connecting the hotspot to the router using USB. The problem is OP's router doesn't have an USB port.

ICS is a viable work around. I used ICS to provide internet for two PCs for a few years before domestic routers were common. I just hate to use ICS any more after having routers. Thanks for suggesting the alternative though.

Very Happy lol I was actually replying to the OP, but if you get some good from it too then its all good Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: