[ SOLVED ] network errors with client bridge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware
pigge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 22:03    Post subject: [ SOLVED ] network errors with client bridge Reply with quote
I just found the solution to a problem I've been having for a long time, with firmwares reaching back for a year i think (i cant remember it ever working since i bought my routers), and thought I'd post my solution here for me to find again at a later time or for any one else experiencing the same problems.
I have two wzr-hp-g300nh and right now one of them serves the internet connection, and that router is running OpenWRT Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 (this router has ip: 192.168.1.2)
the second router is configured as a client bridge with dd-wrt v18024 (this router has ip: 192.168.1.100)
on this client bridge i have my NAS, media center, BluRay-player, dreambox and PS3 and on the wireless network, which is served out by the first router, i have a laptop.

before i found my "fix" i had serious problems with DUP pings and unreachable hosts/nets, if i from my media center pc tried to ping different locations i got:

(DUP!)'s when pinging either the client bridge or the gateway, every 2:nd ping would give me a DUP.
"destination net unreachable" when pinging google ~every 2:nd ping would give me that
"destination host unreachable" when pinging a host not connected via switch (my laptop) ~every 4:th ping would end in a message like that

and then depending on moon phases or something, i could have most of them mixed in the same ping...

anyways, what i found was that if i logged on via ssh to the client bridge and killed relayd and then restarted relayd again, without the "-B" that it was started with originally, my ping's would work without any problems

of course it wasn't only my pings that suffered from the broken networking, i could hardly reach the internet at all

the "-B" option appears to be undocumented, does anyone know what it's supposed to do?

------edit-----------
hmmm, i must have been blind.. "-B" is "Enable broadcast forwarding"
Sponsor
macaddr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 3:13    Post subject: Re: [ SOLVED ] network errors with client bridge Reply with quote
pigge wrote:
I just found the solution to a problem I've been having for a long time, with firmwares reaching back for a year i think (i cant remember it ever working since i bought my routers), and thought I'd post my solution here for me to find again at a later time or for any one else experiencing the same problems.
I have two wzr-hp-g300nh and right now one of them serves the internet connection, and that router is running OpenWRT Backfire 10.03.1-rc5 (this router has ip: 192.168.1.2)
the second router is configured as a client bridge with dd-wrt v18024 (this router has ip: 192.168.1.100)
on this client bridge i have my NAS, media center, BluRay-player, dreambox and PS3 and on the wireless network, which is served out by the first router, i have a laptop.

before i found my "fix" i had serious problems with DUP pings and unreachable hosts/nets, if i from my media center pc tried to ping different locations i got:

(DUP!)'s when pinging either the client bridge or the gateway, every 2:nd ping would give me a DUP.
"destination net unreachable" when pinging google ~every 2:nd ping would give me that
"destination host unreachable" when pinging a host not connected via switch (my laptop) ~every 4:th ping would end in a message like that

and then depending on moon phases or something, i could have most of them mixed in the same ping...

anyways, what i found was that if i logged on via ssh to the client bridge and killed relayd and then restarted relayd again, without the "-B" that it was started with originally, my ping's would work without any problems

of course it wasn't only my pings that suffered from the broken networking, i could hardly reach the internet at all

the "-B" option appears to be undocumented, does anyone know what it's supposed to do?

------edit-----------
hmmm, i must have been blind.. "-B" is "Enable broadcast forwarding"

thanks for this.
macaddr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 0:48    Post subject: Reply with quote
You are my hero.

I just found some time to test this on 1043ND and it works like a charm.

modify the below relayd command below to match your configuration.

To make this permanent added this lines to:

Code:

ps|grep relayd|grep -v grep|awk '{print "kill -9 " $1}'|/bin/sh
relayd -I br0 -I ath0 -L 192.168.1.6 -D&

Administration -> Commands

and hit: "Save Startup"
pigge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 17:46    Post subject: Reply with quote
or:
Code:

killall relayd
relayd -I br0 -I ath0 -L `nvram get lan_ipaddr` -D&

which would be more generic i guess.

one problem though is that WOL (for example) over the bridge doesn't work afterwards
pigge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 16:42    Post subject: Reply with quote
the strange thing is that it works in windows on the same media pc.
But the ping reply times are longer when -B is used as an option to relayd on the bridge

there must be some differences in Windows vs Linux ping, when i set the MTU in Linux ping to >=1473 i won't get any unreachable messages when i ping hosts on the lan, a ping to google though still gives me "Destination Net Unreachable" on both Windows and Linux
macaddr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote
maybe relayd has debug a option --
pigge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
with dd-wrt r18687 it appears to be working better :)

Code:
root@xbmc-pc:~# ssh client ps|grep relayd
DD-WRT v24-sp2 std (c) 2012 NewMedia-NET GmbH
Release: 03/08/12 (SVN revision: 18687)
root@client's password:
 1659 root       680 S    relayd -I br0 -I ath0 -L 192.168.1.100 -D -B

root@xbmc-pc:~# ping -c 4 www.google.com
PING www.l.google.com (209.85.173.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from lpp01m01-in-f99.1e100.net (209.85.173.99): icmp_req=1 ttl=53 time=32.2 ms
64 bytes from lpp01m01-in-f99.1e100.net (209.85.173.99): icmp_req=2 ttl=53 time=32.2 ms
64 bytes from lpp01m01-in-f99.1e100.net (209.85.173.99): icmp_req=3 ttl=53 time=32.5 ms
64 bytes from lpp01m01-in-f99.1e100.net (209.85.173.99): icmp_req=4 ttl=53 time=31.9 ms

--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3004ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 31.952/32.241/32.503/0.195 ms
root@xbmc-pc:~#

i guess time will tell..
iga3k
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 14:08    Post subject: great trick Reply with quote
Man, your trick made my day!
I was just preparing an email to send this f***ing router back, but I gave it one more chance ... what the hack?! ... and your post came out of nowhere and saved this little bastard.

Initially, I thought this might be related to the wireless bridge and I tried to tweak the wireless bridge channel, but with no luck.

BTW, how come did you get to this obscure setting? -B. I would have need ages to figure this out.

Thanks and regards!
pigge
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
actually it took me ages, but mostly since no FW before 17461 had wireless that were stable enough to test things over the link, after that it was a combination of frustration, stubbornness and luck i guess ;)

I'm glad it helped you though :)
macaddr
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote
18777 client bridge is fixed as well.

glad to see that things are improving in the 2012 rels.
joshx
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote
macaddr wrote:
You are my hero.

I just found some time to test this on 1043ND and it works like a charm.

modify the below relayd command below to match your configuration.

To make this permanent added this lines to:

Code:

ps|grep relayd|grep -v grep|awk '{print "kill -9 " $1}'|/bin/sh
relayd -I br0 -I ath0 -L 192.168.1.6 -D&

Administration -> Commands

and hit: "Save Startup"

Thank you for this fix, it was driving me crazy. I restored this router, was getting issues and was about to give up on it until I tried this fix.

I also have the 1043ND so I'm assuming it's a bug in this model. Everything works now for my bridge! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Atheros WiSOC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: