Linksys E4200 - Upgrading from mini build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
volitation
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 21:18    Post subject: Linksys E4200 - Upgrading from mini build Reply with quote
I just finished flashing dd-wrt.v24-18777_NEWD-2_K2.6_mini-e4200 on my E4200. So far everything seems to be running smoothly.

I'm not sure about which build to flash after that. Does the Mega build include all the features?

Is it possible to do all of the following using the Mega build:

1. Run a RADIUS server on the router itself, so that I can switch to WPA2-Enterprise without having to run a separate server for radius?

2. Since it has only one USB port, is it possible to use a HUB? I don't really care about mediaservers. What I'm more interested in is to connect devices like 3G modems (as an emergency backup connection), APC UPS (for use with apcupsd daemon), 16 GB thumb drive for JFFS2.

3. Run an OpenVPN server

4. Simple load balancing of outgoing traffic across two links

It says in the Wiki that I should stick to the same build so I just wanna make sure I'm not about the flash the wrong one.
Sponsor
volitation
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote
I decided to go with dd-wrt.v24-18777_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k.bin for the upgrade. Or is there a more stable build available?
neoviktor
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 20:05    Post subject: +1 for that Reply with quote
+1 for that
My last experience with dd-wrt was in WRT54Gv8, and was extremely limited router.
I got my e4200 for a week and I'm still reading the really long thread about e4200.
Any news on good builds, the thread was locked in December of last years.

If anyone could help will be much appreciated
volitation
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 19:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
That thread was closed saying the 18000 build is the most stable but I'm not so sure about that. I'm using 18000 right now (dd-wrt.v24-18000_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-nv60k).I just switched to a new ISP today and I'm getting disconnected often. It's a cable connection through PPPoE. I don't know if it's the ISP's problem or with ddwrt. The wiki for E4200 does say it has issues with WAN stability.

If anyone else here is getting a stable PPPoE connection, please let me know which build you're using and I'll try the same.
Starbuck99
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Easiest way to find out where the problem lies is to flash it with the latest factory firmware and compare your connection stability.

If it is your ISP the connection should be just as unstable. If not, you know it is dd-wrt.
snowchild
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 10:05    Post subject: Reply with quote
i just flashed the mini build on my e4200... it seems to run smoothly. i tried to apply the nv60k mega build and it did run through but in the header it still shows me the mini build. anyone got this problem as well?
volitation
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 11:17    Post subject: Reply with quote
Starbuck99 wrote:
Easiest way to find out where the problem lies is to flash it with the latest factory firmware and compare your connection stability.

If it is your ISP the connection should be just as unstable. If not, you know it is dd-wrt.

It seems to be stable now on ddwrt. I think the frequent disconnections happened when I was downloading a large file at 1.2 MB/s. When the download was running, the router's load was 0.30, 0.30. 0.30 approx.

I'll leave the router idle for a few hours and see if I get disconnected. Then I'll try the same again with an HTTP download running on my PC.

I'll try the same test on the stock firmware after that.

snowchild wrote:
i just flashed the mini build on my e4200... it seems to run smoothly. i tried to apply the nv60k mega build and it did run through but in the header it still shows me the mini build. anyone got this problem as well?

Maybe the flash wasn't successful. Mine says "Firmware: DD-WRT v24-sp2 (12/12/11) big"
snowchild
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 15:50    Post subject: Reply with quote
upgrade to the big build was successful. wondering why i couldn't upgrade from mini to mega actually?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: