WNDR3700v3 Supported?

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
crispex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:26    Post subject: WNDR3700v3 Supported? Reply with quote
I had no idea that this bugger existed before I bought it today.

I went out to buy a new router since my WNR3500U/L refuses to do anything wirelessly anymore, and I saw that the WNDR3700 is supported. Figured I'd give it a shot. There is absolutely nothing on the box saying it is a v3 (or 2 or 1 for that matter), yet taking it out of the box reveals a rather cheery "v3" after the given "3700" on the bottom... Mad

More importantly:

Is it supported? Is it possible to just use the v2 or v1 files/process?

Also, I'm a noob. Fair warning. Very Happy
Sponsor
GB49
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:34    Post subject: Reply with quote
http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=148400
BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:27    Post subject: Re: WNDR3700v3 Supported? Reply with quote
crispex wrote:

Is it supported? Is it possible to just use the v2 or v1 files/process?

It's the same model number but absolutely not the same hardware. V1 and V2 both use the same atheros SoC, V3 uses broadcom SoC.

It would be like expecting nvidia driver to work with an AMD GPU.
crispex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote
Thanks for linking that.

Hopefully, that will help to redirect anyone else with the same question to that thread.

EDIT:

Wait, it uses broadcom? Is netgear schizophrenic? I apologize for placing this in the wrong section of the forums, but I had no idea. I was going off of the current "supported routers" list on the dd-wrt wiki.
bcmalloy
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:45    Post subject: Reply with quote
Return it I think it's pretty low to release
a new router with a completely new chipset but keep the name of a totally differnet popular router to basically trick consumers.

How is a competely differnet chipset a "revison", makes me want to flail about like mad chimp in the netgear offices
crispex
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:57    Post subject: Reply with quote
I would return it if I believed I'd be able to find a v1 or 2.

I suppose we could start up a fund for the donation of a WNDR3700v3 so it could be worked on for dd-wrt support. The router itself seems to be perfect for what I want, sans stock firmware.

Shouldn't bother asking, but... How long has it taken on average in the past for dd-wrt support after a router is donated?

If there is no current donation or fund thread, can this one be used? The title and its location on the forum would likely be found easily by many people with questions about support for this unit, since it's supposed to be atheros-based.
BlCa`
DD-WRT User

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 14:32    Post subject: Reply with quote
Though it's totally different from former wndr3700, v3 still uses well known hardware.
Many other dd-wrt supported routers use the same cpu/wifi chips (like linksys E3000/wrt610nv2) and I bet the switch chip's common too.
With the unit and some spare time, a dev could probably get a test build running within half a day. The hard part is to get someone to work on it.
obbrian
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2012 20:36    Post subject: I have a WNDR3700v3 in my hand, willing to assist devs Reply with quote
I just ordered this router, lucky enough to get version 3. If I can assist in any way to get firmware running on this router please let me know, I probably can not send this out, but I could give remote access to it if that would be useful.
joelkatz
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote
Does anyone know why the WNDR3700v3 isn't supported? I believe it uses well-known hardware (all Broadcom) and Netgear makes available the kernel, drivers, and other packages they use to build the factory firmware. Is it just a matter of getting a developer a router?
RonHD
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Willing to help add support for WNDR3700v3 Reply with quote
I'd be willing to help get DD-WRT working on this device. I haven't done DD-WRT development before, but I am an experienced developer. With a few pointers I think I should be able to make some progress.
Sash
DD-WRT Guru

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote
do
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

&
RTFM/STFW
&
Throw some buzzwords into the WIKI search Exclamation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
Sash wrote:
do
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database

Do... Do my butt... Razz

Lets get 5ghz working on the linksys E2500 & E3200.

Then we can Do.. Smile

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 22:16    Post subject: 3700v3 Reply with quote
I saw that there was a recent commit for the 3700v3, does anyone have an ETA for it? I just got mine in yesterday and am dying to install DD-WRT on it. Thankfully I haven't had any of the antenna issues that plagued earlier versions, my brother lives about 200m away and he can get all but 1 bar of signal anywhere in HIS house too, which is a huge step up from my last netgear router.

I was seriously looking forward to DD-WRT on this router, then I saw the "v3" at the end of the name and my heart sank like a rock.

I'm not a developer (unfortunately), but I'd be willing to help in any way possible, just let me know what I can do to further the cause of getting DD-WRT on the v3!

Also, thanks to all of you who work on this amazing firmware. I know you don't always get the thanks you deserve, but I appreciate you. Smile
bausker1
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote
Found a build for the v3 at myopenrouter.com and had to try on my v3, since I was stuck on stock firmware. Flashed and works like a charm. so now I have dd-wrt on my wndr3700v3

Ps it says in the readme that u should not flash without a serial console attached, so be careful.
baronmax
DD-WRT Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote
bausker1 wrote:
Found a build for the v3 at myopenrouter.com and had to try on my v3, since I was stuck on stock firmware. Flashed and works like a charm. so now I have dd-wrt on my wndr3700v3

Ps it says in the readme that u should not flash without a serial console attached, so be careful.

Thanks for the heads up!!
Out of curiosity, have you had any issues? Did you have a serial console attached? (I'm not entirely sure how to even do that with a stock router, so I guess I've got some reading to do).
I've been hoping someone would get this figured out. Smile
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next Display posts from previous:    Page 1 of 4
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    DD-WRT Forum Index -> Broadcom SoC based Hardware All times are GMT

Navigation

Jump to: